cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eos Utility problem

alexpado
Apprentice

Hi to all,

I have a problem with the Eos Utility Software.

I have the OS Windows 8, and I installed the last version of EOS Uility 2.12 compatibility with the new OS.

When I connect my EOS 5D MKIII or the 7D the EOS Utility not recognized the camera.

The drivers are installed , all the others programs works fine with the cameras.

Someone have a suggestion ? Smiley Happy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I was having the same issue with EOS Utility not seeing my D60.
In Device Manager, do you see any other devices other than your camera under "Portable Devices"? Under mine, I have listed 4 removable media drives "SD, CF, etc.) that corresponded to my All-in-one Internal USB2.0 connector Card Reader. Each slot is shown as a drive letter. I disabled all four drives by right clicking each one and choosing "Disable" Once that was complete I plugged the camera back in and started the Eos Utility. Camera was now fully recognized. I can still use the media slots even with each drive being disabled.
Good Luck
Rich

View solution in original post

132 REPLIES 132

"Given there are only two platforms, ..."

Being a beta teater for a couple software companies, I can readily say there are far more issues with Mac's and all their OS's than Windows ever saw.  Add the fact there are far fewer Mac's than Windows makes a bigger statement.  On the other hand , everybody knows and has seen the problems Win machines can display.

To say one is more stable, or better, over the other is futile.

As a general rule of thumb a Windows machine is a better buy considering everything.  Price, software availibity and stability.

But it is, MHO and worth every penny you paid for it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

lowens37
Apprentice

I own an XTi and run Windows 7 64bit.When I bought this computer, the first thing I installed was my Canon software... and EOS Utility didn't work.

After doing just about everything form every website, forum and blog. Uninstalling and reinstalling software multiple times. Praying, cursing, considering changing religions, cursing some more, did the Hokey Pokey and down a few beers...

...I think I came across an accidental fix. I have the shortcut on my desktop for EOS Utility. I right clicked on it and selected Properties from the pop-up menu. When the Properties window opened I clicked on the Compatability tab. Windows XP SP1 was selected (??). I clicked on the drop down menu and Selected Windows 7 and clicked Apply at the bottom.

I turned on my camera and the windows application popped up asking how I would like to view the files. I clicked on EOS Utility and it launched successfully. Now, I don't know if this was a fluke or a sign from God... now I'm afraid to open it again until tomorrow, but this seemed to work for me.

dannyf123
Apprentice

my EOS utility software works on its own, but windows 7 doesn't seem to recognize it. now when i plug in my camera, two things happen: eos utility starts and windows "device stage" starts. previously i used to be able to click on "change program" in the windows box and choose eos utility. now it doesn't give me that option anymore.

the two things i changed are that i reinstalled windows, and also i installed the software for my canon point and shoot (canon camerawindow) first. so now i get the option to change to camerawindow, but not eos utility.

i'm not sure any of this matters, i guess i don't like the fact that eos utility is yet another process always running in my background.

(and i also intend to get a card reader. this may or may not change all of this.)

thanks for any help.

descendeur10
Apprentice

Hi, I too now have a problem with EOSUtility on my new Windows 7, 64-bit machine.  

It use to work OK (although it never automatically loaded when a camera was attached unlike on my previous WIndows XP machine), but now when a camera is connected to the computer and switched on, EOSUtility only shows the "monitor folder" option, all the other options are greyed out.  If I click on preferences then click on the "Execute" button (starts to download..) it will download from my old EOS 550D although with no folder preferences options.  With my new 70D even this does not work.

Has Canon issued, or is it intending to issue a fix fior this apparent compatability problem?

This is a long shot, but I would try another cable if you have one laying around.  I had a similar problem once and it actually turned out to be the cable.  I was trying to shoot tethered using some random mini USB cable and it wouldn't allow for remote shooting or any of those other options except one.  Don't remember which it was.

I've got piles of mini and micro USB cables laying around, so I never paid much attention to which I grabbed.  But not all cables are made the same.  Just something to keep in mind.

As to EOS Utility.  Did you install the new version off the Canon site, or a disc that came with your camera?  I just did a fresh install on my laptop and grabbed EOS from Canon and noticed they did a major revision (ver 3.0).  No idea what the differences are, but it's possible there's a conflict issue with an older camera.  Not that a 550D should be considered an old camera by now, but Canon seems to be into planned obsolescence when it comes to Rebels.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Cable wasn't at fault.  Issue seemingly now resolved by installing latest Canon software.

Thanks again.

Descendeur10

@Skirball wrote:

As to EOS Utility.  Did you install the new version off the Canon site, or a disc that came with your camera?  I just did a fresh install on my laptop and grabbed EOS from Canon and noticed they did a major revision (ver 3.0).  No idea what the differences are, but it's possible there's a conflict issue with an older camera.  Not that a 550D should be considered an old camera by now, but Canon seems to be into planned obsolescence when it comes to Rebels.

EOS Utility Version 3 is intended to work with Version 4 of Digital Photo Professional. But unlike DPP V4, it's downwards compatible with the previous version. How that downwards compatibility is achieved has not been fully explained, but I've seen some evidence that V3 actually calls V2 for all non-FF cameras. (The two versions can co-exist on the same computer.) IMO, the safest thing to do if you're not using DPP V4 is to install only Version 2.1.14 of EOS Utility.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I have a EOS Rebel XTi.  I am running WIN 7 Pro 64-bit. I have been using EOS Utility ver. 2.9.0.0 for quite a while.   Today, I keep getting a run-time error that forces me to close the program.  I have made no changes to my system since the last time I used the utility.  I searched for an update and found the 3.0 version, but it says that if I don't have one of the model listed - none of which is mine, it will automatically switch to a 2.xxx version that is older than the one I already have.  I have tried different cables, but the result is the same.  Canon does not even list the XTi on their driver model list.  Should I just install the 3.0 version anyway and just see what happens, or do something else? 

Update:  I tried to download ver 3.0 but it would not let me.  When I entered my camera S/N I was told the the serial number I had entered was incorrect or does not belong to an applicable product.  Then I search some more and found Softpedia dot com that was showing ver. 2.14.1.  So, I'm going to try that.  When I saw that version shown earlier in this thread I mis-read it as 2.1.4.1 and thought it was older than my version.  I guess I should read slower - or get new glasses.

Update #2:  Downloaded v.2.14.1 - it worked.  Canon does not make it easy to find things like this when you don't have a newer product.  I guess I should not have been surprised, I used to work for Canon, just in a different division.

No, version 3.0 is in some sort of "pre-launch", where it's currently only compatible with their full frame cameras.  Not even the new 7d2 works with it, yet.  Canon hasn't indicated when it's going to be updated to work with older models.  Stick with the latest 2.xx version for now.

@Skirball wrote:

No, version 3.0 is in some sort of "pre-launch", where it's currently only compatible with their full frame cameras.  Not even the new 7d2 works with it, yet.  Canon hasn't indicated when it's going to be updated to work with older models.  Stick with the latest 2.xx version for now.

I sure hope that "yet" is the appropriate word. So far, Canon has said nothing to counter the idea that they consider the new versions of EOSU and DPP to be special perks for FF users only. This is particularly tough for those of us who have both crop and FF cameras, because neither version of DPP tells you whether the other version has edited the image file.

EOSU ver. 3 seems OK so far, but ver. 4 of DPP is nowhere near ready for prime time. It has some nice new features though.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements