cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS will not work with El Capitan

BHodg137
Apprentice

I am getting an ewrror message "EOS 2.13 cannot be used with this version of the operating system"  this started after installation of El Capitan. OS 10.11.1  Does anyone have a similar issue or a fix.

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17

Tiffany

Hi BHodg137,

Welcome to the Canon Forum! So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know what model EOS camera you're using.

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team by phone or email.

Using a T5I, was woring fine prior to OS upgrade.

Your version of EOS Utility is old.

You can download the latest version from the Canon support site:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/dslr/eos-rebel-t5i-ef-s-18...

Tragically... Canon decided to do a make-over of their website and now everything has these ludicrously long URLs.  (While I'm fine with the new graphics, the functionality of the "new" website is a major downgrade from the old website.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks that did the trick. So much for blaming Mac OS.

@TCampbell wrote:

Your version of EOS Utility is old.

You can download the latest version from the Canon support site:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/dslr/eos-rebel-t5i-ef-s-18...

Tragically... Canon decided to do a make-over of their website and now everything has these ludicrously long URLs.  (While I'm fine with the new graphics, the functionality of the "new" website is a major downgrade from the old website.)

I suppose this is a bit OT in this thread, but does anyone have any idea why Canon re-did their Web site? It probably cost them a bundle, so they must have had some purpose in mind. But it couldn't have been to make the site more informative or easier to use. I'd love to be able to read the design goals they gave to the contractor.

If I had to try to answer the question, my best guess might be that they've turned the site into a large-scale data mining operation, which might help explain the long URLs. But what they're doing with the information and who they're passing it along to, I wouldn't presume to speculate.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

I suppose this is a bit OT in this thread, but does anyone have any idea why Canon re-did their Web site? It probably cost them a bundle, so they must have had some purpose in mind. But it couldn't have been to make the site more informative or easier to use. I'd love to be able to read the design goals they gave to the contractor.

If I had to try to answer the question, my best guess might be that they've turned the site into a large-scale data mining operation, which might help explain the long URLs. But what they're doing with the information and who they're passing it along to, I wouldn't presume to speculate.

Hi, Bob!

We here at Canon USA felt it was time to spruce up the web site, giving it a cleaner, more modern feel.  Beyond that and above all else, we sought to make the site more mobile device-friendly, allowing it to work better on smartphones and tablets, in addition to traditional desktop browsers.  The redesign also brings Canon USA's web site more in line with the web sites of other Canon subsidiaries worldwide.

We assure you there are no nefarious purposes behind the redesign.  We just wanted to make it prettier and easier to use.

We hope this helps!

Thanks for the response Danny.

While I can appreciate wanting to update the look... the flip side is that the website is not anywhere even remotely as useful as the previous website.

For example... try to find information on any camera camera body or lens that is not "currently" marketed.  If someone needed to find a manual for, say, a T2i at the previous website, there was a link that said "not finding your product, click here" and it would show all the products that are no longer marketed and you could get docs, downloads, specs, etc.

I noticed that when I look for lenses, the manuals for many lenses is missing.  On the previous website, every lens had specs, MTF curve chart, manuals, etc.  Now it's very hit & miss.

I tried to find information for a camera that IS currently marketed and when I go to the support section and type in the camera model in the search engine... it's not found (even though the docs do exist -- you just can't use the website search info to find it.)

I've also noticed that if someone on the forums here wants a link to a support resource (the link to the software download page for their particular camera model -- just as an example), the links are now all insanely long strings of gibberish.  The previous website had manageable links.

I search for information for software developers.  The old website had a link where developers could apply for access to the Canon EOS Digital SDK.  Today... if you do a search on the website using any term such as "developer", "sdk", (I've even searched for the name of the download since I already have the previous version) it's just not found.  All internet web searches can only find the developer pages for other countries and regions (I can find it for Australia, for Europe, etc. -- just not for the US.)

This is what I mean when I say that the new website... while "cosmetically" nice... is just not useful.  It's a big step backward and I hope Canon will work at restoring the useful functionality we used to enjoy with the previous website.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I have a Canon 70D and I want to install EOS Utility, but Canon's website says "There is no recommended download for the OS version you selected."

So I downloaded the previous version of the Utility. Although it sees the camera on the network, it says "cannot be used with this version of the operating system."

What is the solution here?

I also have a Canon 60D, I'd love to know which version to download for that as well.

Thanks

Okay I got it! It worked when I installed all the updates.

Announcements