cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility not working, won't recognize camera and crashes

EOSU3IsAnnoying
Apprentice

For whatever reason after a few days of not using EOS utility the software will not recognize my camera even if windows 10 does, I have turned off WiFi/NFC and connected it via usb but EOS utility does nothing with it. When I use EOS Utility 3 it just says "Connect an EOS camera." despite it already being connected. When I have used EOS utility 2 the software says "Camera is not recognized" when I launch the software and then connect the camera it immediately closes and gives that message as well.

Solutions Tried:

Double checking WiFi/NFC is disabled

Deleting the driver on windows and re-installing it (x10+)

Deleteing and re-installing EOS Utility 2 and 3 (x2)

Contacting support (they didn't seem to read my message and recomended me a solution I had already tried)

Giving up on life

Specs:

EOS Rebel T6

Windows 10 Home

I just don't know what else to do

Dang_(

29 REPLIES 29

This did add the EOS Utilities 3 to the Start Menu (which was missing before), but didn't change inability to auto launch the utility itself.

@royanderson wrote:

This did add the EOS Utilities 3 to the Start Menu (which was missing before), but didn't change inability to auto launch the utility itself.

Use the shortcut to launch it!

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

danno
Apprentice
Hmm, the other thing I tried but did not think was related was to run the EOS utility in Windows 8 compatibility mode. I also made sure that the eosupnp service was allowed in the firewall for both public and private networks. Not sure on the USB front.
80D

Wazerbrazer
Apprentice
I literally had this exact problem the only way I fixed it was by resetting my windows install. I reset and kept my files just deleted all the apps on my computer and it fixed the problem. I don’t know what the exact cause was but I was tearing my hair out. Windows just likes to update and ruin things.

crisr3
Apprentice

lahermidaf
Apprentice

TURN OFF THE CAMERA WIFI (SWITH IT TO DISABLE) AND TRY AGAIN....THANK ME LATER

Welcome to the forum. 

Please see guidelines about all caps if you wish to continue as a member. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

velodrome
Apprentice

Same issues on MacOS.
Tethered shooting from a MacBook Pro (2017) to a number of modern EOS cameras.
USB-A booster cable from laptop to short USB Mini cable into the jack on an EOS M50,
a USB-A to USB-3 pigtail into an EOS5D rs,
and a USB-A to USB-2 for an EOS1DX (so may different conventions!).
In Canon EOS Utility 3, the main dialog comes up all greyed out until I perform somewhere between 10 and 20 climbs up a step ladder to wiggle cable or turn the camera off and on again.
The rare time the dialog switches on and lets me click on "shoot remotely" is a joy to behold.

I really like tethered shooting, in studio and outdoors, and a wish it worked enough that I could rely on it.

Maybe it's time for a cord that locks in place, and support for a cable longer than just a few feet.

I've tried multiple cables, removing the boosted USB extension cord, and running on just the short USB pigtails directly from computer to camera, and nothing 'cures' the problem. 

It only works one in twenty times, and hardly ever when I'm needing it at a specific time.

I'm sure someone is going to recommend new cables, but how do you KNOW it does?
How do you critically test the system, like for any USB connection.
Is there something out there that will tell me my USB cable has specific issues (if that's the case)?

Mike G.

“  Same issues on MacOS.  “

I encourage you to start a new thread for your issues.  This zombie thread is several years old and the topic is Windows OS.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

John_Q
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello EOSU3IsAnnoying,

The EOS Rebel T6 is not compatible with EOS Utility 2. You would want to use EOS Utility version 3. Try launching the EOS Utility 3 from the Canon folder on your hard drive. Open C: drive or whatever it may be. Follow this path, C:>Program Files (x86)>Canon>EOS Utility>EU3. Launch EOS Utility 3.exe. You may want to create a desktop shortcut for this item. It appears that you may have a shortcut for the EULauncher.exe which is bringing up that WIFI connection screen. Make sure the WIFI is disabled on the camera prior to connecting the camera to your computer via USB.

Announcements