cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility not working, won't recognize camera and crashes

EOSU3IsAnnoying
Apprentice

For whatever reason after a few days of not using EOS utility the software will not recognize my camera even if windows 10 does, I have turned off WiFi/NFC and connected it via usb but EOS utility does nothing with it. When I use EOS Utility 3 it just says "Connect an EOS camera." despite it already being connected. When I have used EOS utility 2 the software says "Camera is not recognized" when I launch the software and then connect the camera it immediately closes and gives that message as well.

Solutions Tried:

Double checking WiFi/NFC is disabled

Deleting the driver on windows and re-installing it (x10+)

Deleteing and re-installing EOS Utility 2 and 3 (x2)

Contacting support (they didn't seem to read my message and recomended me a solution I had already tried)

Giving up on life

Specs:

EOS Rebel T6

Windows 10 Home

I just don't know what else to do

Dang_(

29 REPLIES 29

Hadn't heard there's any difference in Windows 10 installations or issues with old PC's.  Regardless, this PC is only 3-4 years old, Intel I7, and fresh Windows install.

I don't reboot very often, but I'd forgotten that that the aberrant EOS splash screen autostarts recently on bootup.

The only only options on right clicking the task icon are to turn on or off the auto launch when a camera is connected. Or Open which just gets me to the splash screen again, which does nothing (doesn't matter if a camera is connected or not). Surprisingly, changing the autolauch setting doesn't survive a reboot.

Not sure why this just started now. Only thing I've installed recently is the new version of ON1, but it doesn't have any background services that I'm aware of. Still think it's a software issue where something is blocking the utility from finding the camera - whether a Windows security change, or virus protection or one of the myrid of cloud and device apps that are capable of reading from attached devices.

Are there any Canon utilities to remove everything? Perhaps there's something damaged in the registry that's surviving a reinstall. Others such as Corel have them, but haven't seen one from Canon.

OK, I have a workaround.

Talked to Canon customer support, and they were extremely knowledgeable, but this falls under the category of known problems for which they don't have a solution. For whatever reason, the Canon items don't get populated into the "All Programs" folder (EOS Utiity 3.exe in particular) or into the AutoPlay list. So you can't start the app from the task bar (which opens EOS Utilities.exe (i.e. no #) which is supposed to select 2 or 3 depending upon need, but instead just generates the dreaded splash screen), All Programs list, or from AutoPlay.

Fortunately though you can start the required EOS Utility 3 (for new cameras, 2 for older) manually by going directly to the programs directory, i.e. C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\EOS Utility\EU3\EOS Utilities 3.exe.  Make a shortcut to this and use it instead of autolaunch.

Should have said "they don't know the cause", although they don't have a real solution either.

This was very helpfull. It works for me

Thank you. This issue just happened to me. The EOS Utility would auto launch for my EOS R as of a week ago. Tonight (6/10/19) it would only show the "Connect an EOS Camera" window even when the camera was plugged in via USB. Manually launching the "EOS Utilities 3.exe" did the trick.

I use the gigabit ethernet ports in my HP workstation to transfer photos from my 1DX and 1DX Mark II cameras and a couple of times per year a Windows 10 update will create an issue where I have to go through network setup on the camera bodies again to get EOS utility to automatically launch and connect. I prefer using the more physically robust RJ45 ethernet connector to the more fragile USB connector.

Windows 10 has to be the low point for Microsoft and I have spent more time fixing/working around Win 10 problems in the past two years than I did in decades of running prior MS operating systems.  One of the auto updates two weeks ago once again removed the properly operating and signed driver for my high res photo monitor and replaced it with a generic driver that was designed for monitors of the early 1990s. I doubt if any of the companies writing apps for Win 10 are pleased with its ill-behaved and very flaky personality.  I switched to Linux for my laptop but I need Win 10 on my HP Z820 for some of the software I run so I have to put up with its attention starved child antics.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I had the same issue after a Windows 10 update where I could not use the EOS utility over WiFi.  In my case USB worked.  Just figured out that if I enable Network discovery in

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings

All is well.

80D

Checked but setting was already enabled. Turned off and back on, no change. I really think the issue is why it doesn't get populated onto the AUTO-PLAY list. My Panasonic camera is on the list so it's possible.

@danno

This is what worked for me, I had the same issue with the eos utility starting up but unable to see my camera. Turns out that my camera just couldn't find my PC on the network because I had this setting turned off, probably because of some 'optimization program' for privacy without realising it would have this effect. Thanks for your suggestion.

Announcements