Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Re: EOS utility not working

OK, I have a workaround.

Talked to Canon customer support, and they were extremely knowledgeable, but this falls under the category of known problems for which they don't have a solution. For whatever reason, the Canon items don't get populated into the "All Programs" folder (EOS Utiity 3.exe in particular) or into the AutoPlay list. So you can't start the app from the task bar (which opens EOS Utilities.exe (i.e. no #) which is supposed to select 2 or 3 depending upon need, but instead just generates the dreaded splash screen), All Programs list, or from AutoPlay.

Fortunately though you can start the required EOS Utility 3 (for new cameras, 2 for older) manually by going directly to the programs directory, i.e. C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\EOS Utility\EU3\EOS Utilities 3.exe.  Make a shortcut to this and use it instead of autolaunch.

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Should have said "they don't know the cause", although they don't have a real solution either.
New Contributor

I had the same issue after a Windows 10 update where I could not use the EOS utility over WiFi.  In my case USB worked.  Just figured out that if I enable Network discovery in

Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings

All is well.

80D
Occasional Contributor

Checked but setting was already enabled. Turned off and back on, no change. I really think the issue is why it doesn't get populated onto the AUTO-PLAY list. My Panasonic camera is on the list so it's possible.
New Contributor

Hmm, the other thing I tried but did not think was related was to run the EOS utility in Windows 8 compatibility mode. I also made sure that the eosupnp service was allowed in the firewall for both public and private networks. Not sure on the USB front.
80D
New Contributor

This was very helpfull. It works for me