cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS utility crashes on startup

tonyatl
Apprentice

in spite of the numerous threads on this topic, i have found no solution to the eos utility crashing on startup on windows 10. It used to work, but has been broken for several months or longer.

the event log shows the following which seems related to reading the config file or changes to it but it is not clear which of the config files is at fault.

Configuration system failed to initialize

at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.PrepareConfigSystem()
at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.RefreshSection(String sectionName)
at System.Configuration.ClientSettingsStore.ReadSettings(String sectionName, Boolean isUserScoped)
at System.Configuration.LocalFileSettingsProvider.GetPropertyValues(SettingsContext context, SettingsPropertyCollection properties)
at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertiesFromProvider(SettingsProvider provider)
at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertyValueByName(String propertyName)
at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName)
at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.GetPropertyValue(String propertyName)
at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName)
at EOSUtility.AppSettings.get_FolderNameSeparator()
at EOSUtility.RenamingService.RenamingFolder.updateFolderSeparator()
at EOSUtility.RenamingService..ctor()
at EOSUtility.RenameCountroller..ctor()
at EOSUtility.MainMenu..ctor()

i have uninstalled / reinstalled eos numerous times. i had partial success installing as a differnt user but that too ultimately failed.

i need the utility to download images. the wired connection no longer works since windows explorer does not find any pictures i have taken since 5/25/2020 on the sd card. the eos utility finds them but does not recognize them as jpeg.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

tonyatl
Apprentice

i found a fix.

i am sure that this link will be gone by the time someone comes along who needs it. but fwiw, here it is:

<Removed Per Forum Guidelines>

go to the section describing how to delete roaming and local user data BUT ONLY FOR CANON. you must find the canon folders and delete the contents within them.

i then had to go through setup on the camera for wireless connectivity. however, it was easy (and i did not have to re-enter network password). once done i could download images wirelessly for the first time in months.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

tonyatl
Apprentice

i found a fix.

i am sure that this link will be gone by the time someone comes along who needs it. but fwiw, here it is:

<Removed Per Forum Guidelines>

go to the section describing how to delete roaming and local user data BUT ONLY FOR CANON. you must find the canon folders and delete the contents within them.

i then had to go through setup on the camera for wireless connectivity. however, it was easy (and i did not have to re-enter network password). once done i could download images wirelessly for the first time in months.

Announcements