cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS utility crashes immediately on startup in windows 7 64 bit

pvanbavel
Apprentice

crashes no MATTER what I try--   administrator mode FAIL.   upgrade to version 2 FAIL.  uniinstall followed by complete registry cleanup then reinstall FAIL.  

Contacted customer service-- their ownly solution is to pull out the memory card and use a card reader.  Not acceptable because that does NOT create folders by day-- an extremely usefull tool if you take a lot of pictures. nor does it prevent multiple loads of files.     customer service intidicated the software was written by an unknown australian company-- no information on who they are or how to contact them.   

It used to work just fine and still works on my laptop also using windows 7 64 bit. 

A suspicious item is that it always asks for permission to modify or install software, long after it was installed; shows the standard windows dialog when loading new software.   suggesting that an attempt is made to modify a protected or forbidden file region.  

I would like to see a serious attempt by canon to solve this problem, its gone on too long and many others have it. 

5 REPLIES 5

@pvanbavel wrote:

crashes no MATTER what I try--   administrator mode FAIL.   upgrade to version 2 FAIL.  uniinstall followed by complete registry cleanup then reinstall FAIL.  

Contacted customer service-- their ownly solution is to pull out the memory card and use a card reader.  Not acceptable because that does NOT create folders by day-- an extremely usefull tool if you take a lot of pictures. nor does it prevent multiple loads of files.     customer service intidicated the software was written by an unknown australian company-- no information on who they are or how to contact them.   

It used to work just fine and still works on my laptop also using windows 7 64 bit. 

A suspicious item is that it always asks for permission to modify or install software, long after it was installed; shows the standard windows dialog when loading new software.   suggesting that an attempt is made to modify a protected or forbidden file region.  

I would like to see a serious attempt by canon to solve this problem, its gone on too long and many others have it. 

The program runs on your laptop and on countless other 64-bit Windows 7 computers - including one located less than three feet from me as I type this. It doesn't run on your other computer, and the error messages suggest a file permission problem. And it's Canon's fault. That may be true; Canon's software is certainly not bug-free. But if I were a betting man, I'd bet that your problem is in your computer.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I'd agree with you that something changed on my computer -- most likely an upgrade to windows.   Looked at the upgrade record and that doesn't seem to match up.  

so its unique to my computer( there are a lot of people out there who have given up).    Now what?

I have to agree with Bob from Boston.  EOS Utility runs on millions of Windoze computers without a hitch.  Including three in my house.  You need to look where the problem exists no matter who else may have had or has the same problem.  Trying to blame Canon is likely a case in futility.  It is your machine most likely.

However, the easiest solution is to buy Lightroom from Adobe.  There is nothing EOS U does better than LR even when it is working!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I have to agree with Bob from Boston.  EOS Utility runs on millions of Windoze computers without a hitch.  Including three in my house.  You need to look where the problem exists no matter who else may have had or has the same problem.  Trying to blame Canon is likely a case in futility.  It is your machine most likely.

However, the easiest solution is to buy Lightroom from Adobe.  There is nothing EOS U does better than LR even when it is working!

Maybe, but I'm not sure it's relevant. A file permission problem can be as detrimental to LR as to EOSU.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob from Boston,

And the big difference is Adobe is a software company.  Canon is a camera maker not a software developer.

Adobe has a bigger stake in getting it's stuff to work on more macines than Canon.  They likely have seen everything, permissions or whatever.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements