cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS utility 3 and Apple Silicon CPU (big sur OS) (EOS Utility 3.13.20 for macOS)

tntula
Contributor

There is no information on this anywhere with Canon. What is the status of the Canon Utility for Apple computers with the ARM M! (silicon) processor: these computers can only run Big Sur (OS11).

Is the Canon EOS Utility 3 (EOS Utility 3.13.20 for macOS) compatible with Apple Silicon computers?

16 REPLIES 16

i have gone to using lightroom or my old intel macbook pro instead that i never installed Bug Sur on.

it is kind of bad that canon has not put out a simple driver for and OS that was seeded to developers over a year ago considered macs target photography.

JCWH
Apprentice
Re: EOS utility 3 and Apple Silicon CPU (big sur OS) (EOS Utility 3.13.20 for macOS)

Hi,

None of the Canon photo utilities works with my MBP M1 Big Sur.

More than that the MBP M1 does not recognize my 5DMarkIV or 5DMarkIII (not even appearing in Finder), making it impossible to capture photos from the MBP M1 or even run a simple task like import photos/videos directly from the cameras whatever we speak about Apple native Apps (Photos) or third party professional dedicated photo softwares (Lightroom, Capture One).

The only solution working so far is described in the link below.

Welcome to the middle age of computers with a state of the art revolution announced by Apple🤣

https://www.bearashkin.com/blog/canon-camera-and-apple-m1

@JCWH wrote:
Re: EOS utility 3 and Apple Silicon CPU (big sur OS) (EOS Utility 3.13.20 for macOS)

Hi,

None of the Canon photo utilities works with my MBP M1 Big Sur.

More than that the MBP M1 does not recognize my 5DMarkIV or 5DMarkIII (not even appearing in Finder), making it impossible to capture photos from the MBP M1 or even run a simple task like import photos/videos directly from the cameras whatever we speak about Apple native Apps (Photos) or third party professional dedicated photo softwares (Lightroom, Capture One).

The only solution working so far is described in the link below.

Welcome to the middle age of computers with a state of the art revolution announced by Apple🤣

https://www.bearashkin.com/blog/canon-camera-and-apple-m1

The way I read the bearashkin link it says Canon firmware update 1.3.3 has resolved the issue.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

JCWH
Apprentice
Unfortunately no.
Version 1.3.3 runs under Catalina but does not run under Big Sur. The only way to make it work is via the trick indicated by Bearashkin: the use of a mini usb.
But it doesn’t solve the fact that the M1 is unable to see the cameras in the finder and that you can’t use Lightroom or Capture one to import and/or capture.
It is at least what can be observed on my MBP M1. But maybe the problem comes from my computer if he was built with defaults.
Feedback from someone else would be useful.
I made Apple aware of the problem from the beginning.
Was not the only one apparently because they needed several complaints to Escalade the problem internally in their hierarchy.
They asked me in February to run some tests on the system to identify we’re the issue could be. Tests were sent back to them. I never received any news since then.

@JCWH wrote:
Unfortunately no.
Version 1.3.3 runs under Catalina but does not run under Big Sur. The only way to make it work is via the trick indicated by Bearashkin: the use of a mini usb.
But it doesn’t solve the fact that the M1 is unable to see the cameras in the finder and that you can’t use Lightroom or Capture one to import and/or capture.
It is at least what can be observed on my MBP M1. But maybe the problem comes from my computer if he was built with defaults.
Feedback from someone else would be useful.
I made Apple aware of the problem from the beginning.
Was not the only one apparently because they needed several complaints to Escalade the problem internally in their hierarchy.
They asked me in February to run some tests on the system to identify we’re the issue could be. Tests were sent back to them. I never received any news since then.

Firmware 1.3.3 is a camera firmware.

The file to download the firmware is available from the Canon support site under the Big Sur section.

Screenshot 2021-09-11 202735.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

lightroom can see the camera and import with big sur and m1... though i was using a usb c to usb a cable adapter... the camera has usb c.... the hub was usb 3 i connected to... 

CalebAmes
Apprentice

Having struggled with this I wanted to share the working solution. It is not compatible with ARM / m1 / m2 processors however you can still use it IF you use the intel versions of the app. The easiest way to do this is to open your applications folder in finder and right click the app of your choice. Then click get info. Lastly find the box that says open using rosetta. That box will tell the computer to use the intel app and use the Rosetta translation layer. This fixed using google meet on Firefox for me. For zoom I just downloaded the intel version and turned off auto updates because they will update to the arm app breaking eos utility.

Announcements