cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Webcam utility full version and MAC OS Big Sur

Ssalmorejo
Contributor

I will like to know if anyone have the full version of Big Sur OS and EOS Webcam Utility full version working together. If theres any bug or trouble using both together. Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

athirocks
Contributor

Yes, I got it up & running on my MacBook Pro 13" 2017 with Big Sur. Just make sure, that the EOS Utility doesn't run at the same time.

View solution in original post

74 REPLIES 74

Im going to have to try the rosetta- I guess.  I have the new M! macbook pro which only comes with big Sur and the new canon R5.  I was really hoping to use it as my webcam and am havingno luck.  thanks for your ideas

literate
Apprentice

FIXED!!  EOS utility wasnt working for me either after I dowloaded Big Sur.  Instead of using usb-c to usb cable I used usb-c to usb-c cable and it immefiately recognixzed ny canon R6.  Hope this helps!

wivibi
Contributor
This thread is about webcam utility not EOS utility. 🙂

mjtaljaard
Apprentice

Hi Folks. I hope someone can shed some light.
I installed the webcam utility but all I see is that black EOS Webcam Utility screen.

I do not have any other EOS Utilities running.
I have tried different USB cables.

I have checked the dial to be on camera and the battery is good.
It is like my Macbook is not seeing the camera at all. Any advice?
Thanks a million.

Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 14.10.55.png

Update:
I have ordered a new Type C male to Micro usb male cable to see if that is my issue.

@mjtaljaard wrote:

Hi Folks. I hope someone can shed some light.
I installed the webcam utility but all I see is that black EOS Webcam Utility screen.

I do not have any other EOS Utilities running.
I have tried different USB cables.

I have checked the dial to be on camera and the battery is good.
It is like my Macbook is not seeing the camera at all. Any advice?
Thanks a million.

Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 14.10.55.png

Update:
I have ordered a new Type C male to Micro usb male cable to see if that is my issue.

Please let me know how this goes for you. My issue is similar. It's hit and miss, though. It will work on MS teams in chrome, but not the app. It works in zoom app. But it doesn't always work. It might work for the first session, then I break for 10 mins, come back and start another meeting, and suddenly I'm getting this screen you attached.

It may be worth noting that I installed the Webcam Utility first, then upgraded to big sur, not really knowing of potential issues. Go me!

NotReallyMe
Contributor

This software does not run under MacOS Big software on my Mac. You may find this entry in system.log as an explanation why:

iMac com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.canon.usa.EOSWebcamUtility): This service is defined to be constantly running and is inherently inefficient.

Uninstalling and reinstalling does not solve the problem.

wivibi
Contributor
@mjtaljaard This happens to me sometimes. And I swear you need to follow a certain sequence of steps (as if you were playing Contra) to work. Try quitting all software that would use EWU. Next plug in camera and turn camera on. Then open software you want to use the camera with. This is what I need to do for it to register on Zoom.

What software are you trying to use?
What computer are you using?

@wivibi  
My problem is that my laptop doesn't even see / recognise my camera to start with.

Even in Preview, I cannot see the camera to import photos.

So, even trying to test the camera in chrome at https://webcamtests.com/ is impossible. Same with all applications, I just get the black screen I shared above.
I am using a hub as I do not have a type C to micro-usb cable. Thinking that might be the issue? I ordered a type C cable yesterday.

@wivibi same thing for me. I haven't figured out the exact sequence, but I feel you. Let me know if you make any progress.
I'm on Big Sur 11.1, 2019 MBP. I installed webcam utility before upgrading to Big Sur, too.

wivibi
Contributor
@duz10 mine works great. If I follow the above sequence. Once done I’m good to go as long as I keep everything plugged in. When I undock M1 MBA and redock it’s been 50/50 whether camera gets recognized. I just follow my sequence and it works again. No telling of its zoom, EWU, M1, Big Sur or what 😉
Announcements