cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility will not work after update - 70D and Windows 8.1

ac
Apprentice

I hope someone can help. I updated my EOS Utility on July 20, 2015, and switched to EOS Utility 2, incl. the updater (an add-on installation on the Canon site). After that, nothing happens when I connect the camera and try to open EOS Utility. I can hear (jingle) that the computer still recognizes the camera. Around that day, my computer also installed a Windows update.

I have unistalled EOS and reinstalled it, both with and without the updater. Still nothing happens. Has anyone else had the same issue? On another forum, disabling wifi seemed to work, but I checked that wifi is already disabled (even by enabling and re-disabling it).

Any ideas are gratefully accepted. Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You would be much better off to add an exception for the software you're getting a flase positive on, than to disable AVG.

You can do this within AVG by looking for "Exceptions" under the "Advanced Settings" dialog (found in the Options menu).

This is not uncommon and it just means there's some byte pattern in your file that is similar to a known virus.  If you disable AVG you're opening yourself up to attacks while it's off.  By adding an exception AVG will just ignore that file, and since you know it's OK, that's safe.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Mykolas
Authority

Hi ac!

Thanks for posting.

When you launch EOS Utility 2, do you receive any sort of error message?  What happens on screen when you launch it?

If this is a time sensitive-matter, additional support options are available at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Before, absolutely nothing happened when I attached the camera and turned it on, or if I double-clicked the utility icon with the camera attached. No error messages were displayed, either. I now added EOS utility to exceptions in my AVG and at least the camera is responding now (the red light is blinking) indicating some communication, however, I now get an error message saying the EOS camera connection app is already running - which it is not.

Any further help is greatly appreciated, thank you very much.

Hi Mike,

I am wondering if you can help me with the problem that I see everyone has been having with eos utility - the features are greyed out and not able to connect the camera to the software - Previously used with problems.

I've read alot a post/threads to try and solve this issue, so I have tried these potential solutions with no joy : new leads, different usb ports, AVG issue - I don't run, software re-installation, canon download for both eos utility 2 and 3 and even new installation on a another pc - so I have run out of head scratching ideas and any help will be appreciated. My o/s is win7, and I use a 6D.

Thanks Dave

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

It seems AVG virus siftware does not like EOSU.  You need to disable it to run your EOSU.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

You would be much better off to add an exception for the software you're getting a flase positive on, than to disable AVG.

You can do this within AVG by looking for "Exceptions" under the "Advanced Settings" dialog (found in the Options menu).

This is not uncommon and it just means there's some byte pattern in your file that is similar to a known virus.  If you disable AVG you're opening yourself up to attacks while it's off.  By adding an exception AVG will just ignore that file, and since you know it's OK, that's safe.

Thank you for this suggestion. The previous EOS utility got through AVG fine, but it seemed to help (though not solve the problem) by adding this update (EOS utility 2) to exceptions.

ac
Apprentice

Okay, problem solved! In another post relating to the message "connection app already running" it mentioned to make sure to add both Utility and Utility2 to exceptions in AVG. I thought I only had Utility2 now since I had uninstalled all previous versions, but it turned out I have both.

So in short, AVG seemed to be the culprit, though I have never had an issue before.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Announcements