cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility will not launch, shows splash screen then exits; windows 10

Winslow
Apprentice

I've been using EOS utility for months with my 70d and it's been fine. A few days ago it just stopped launching. The splash screen shows and then goes away and the main window never shows up. Happens with both EOS Utility and EOS Utility 2.

I tried a system restore to before the issue with no luck. I have no antivirus programs running besides windows defender. I uninstalled all recent software installations with no luck. I deleted and reinstalled the software, ran the updater, no luck. Finally I did a windows reset/reinstall, and it worked... Until the next restart, and now it's broken again.

Please help I need this software for my work.

19 REPLIES 19

@wq9nsc wrote:

I went through this about a month ago with my 1DX Mark II and HP Z820 workstation running Win 10 Pro.  It is a Windows 10 issue because the current crop of kids in Redmond running MS can't resist constantly monkeying with stuff.  This is the second time it is happened to me since I bought my 1DX M2 in February because of one of Win 10's many updates where they reset numerous user settings.  

I use the gigabit ethernet port in my 1DX 2 but the USB port on cameras should have the same fix.  I deleted the network connection in the camera and then went through initializing it again; Windows responds that it changed some Firewall settings, I set up a fixed IP address, and then it works as it should.  I have to go through an additional step and go with a fixed IP address using the gigabit ethernet to avoid a slow camera recognition every time I connect but this won't be an issue for USB users.  Note that just resetting the Windows firewall settings did not cure this; something else changes within the Win 10 (probably registry items) when the camera network is set up again but it doesn't provide details about what else Win 10 is doing beyond the firewall change.

IF Canon ever ports DPP over to Linux my Z820 will go from dual boot to Linux only.  I have used MS software since the MS/PC DOS days using pretty much every version including some of their unix ports and I have never had issues like Win 10 has created. I spend more time in a month dealing with Win 10 annoyances than I did in probably an entire decade running XP.  Win 10 is like a screaming, emotionally disturbed child constantly causing disruptions and screaming for attention.  If I didn't have this dual processor high performance workstation customized like I want it I would seriously consider switching to a Mac so as to never have to fool with the Win 10 annoyance ever again.

Rodger

I take it that you never used Windows 8. If you had, I don't think you would be nearly as down on Windows 10 as you are.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob,

I had 8.1 briefly on an Asus laptop but it was quickly up (or maybe down) graded to Win 10.  It now runs Linux which does everything I need with a laptop.  I had a tablet running Win 10 but replaced that with an iPad after dealing with some upgrade issues.  I used to despise the Apple approach to products but Win 10 has changed my view.

Monday I was in a meeting and Win 10 started one of its upgrades on the presenters HP laptop during his presentation.  It took three attempts before he killed it long enough to complete his presentation.  It is such a professional operating system /snark.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I'm getting this behavior, very annoying...  I get this when I try to use the the wireless interface and the USB interface.  Both worked before, not sure when it broke.  

A previous post suggestd deleting the camera's network conneciton setup, which was a pain to setup, so I've not tried that yet.  Is that the only solution?

Here's the error I get out of the Windows Applicaiton Log:

Faulting application name: EOS Utility 3.exe, version: 3.8.20.0, time stamp: 0x5a371d80
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.17134.319, time stamp: 0x5ea0e53d
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x001117d2
Faulting process id: 0x2af0
Faulting application start time: 0x01d4743d41bebb77
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\EOS Utility\EU3\EOS Utility 3.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 8983d57f-63ad-4590-a583-f1d00d3de3f8
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Application: EOS Utility 3.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Xml.XmlException
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(System.Exception)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(System.String, System.String[])
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseText(Int32 ByRef, Int32 ByRef, Int32 ByRef)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseText()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Skip()
at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Skip()
at System.Configuration.XmlUtil.StrictSkipToNextElement(System.Configuration.ExceptionAction)
at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ScanSectionsRecursive(System.Configuration.XmlUtil, System.String, Boolean, System.String, System.Configuration.OverrideModeSetting, Boolean)
at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ScanSectionsRecursive(System.Configuration.XmlUtil, System.String, Boolean, System.String, System.Configuration.OverrideModeSetting, Boolean)
at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ScanSections(System.Configuration.XmlUtil)
at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.InitConfigFromFile()

Exception Info: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException
at System.Configuration.ConfigurationSchemaErrors.ThrowIfErrors(Boolean)
at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ThrowIfParseErrors(System.Configuration.ConfigurationSchemaErrors)
at System.Configuration.BaseConfigurationRecord.ThrowIfInitErrors()
at System.Configuration.ClientConfigurationSystem.OnConfigRemoved(System.Object, System.Configuration.Internal.InternalConfigEventArgs)

Exception Info: System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException
at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.PrepareConfigSystem()
at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.RefreshSection(System.String)
at System.Configuration.ClientSettingsStore.ReadSettings(System.String, Boolean)
at System.Configuration.LocalFileSettingsProvider.GetPropertyValues(System.Configuration.SettingsContext, System.Configuration.SettingsPropertyCollection)
at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertiesFromProvider(System.Configuration.SettingsProvider)
at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertyValueByName(System.String)
at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.get_Item(System.String)
at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.GetPropertyValue(System.String)
at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.get_Item(System.String)
at EOSUtility.AppSettings.get_FolderNameSeparator()
at EOSUtility.RenamingService+RenamingFolder.updateFolderSeparator()
at EOSUtility.RenamingService..ctor()
at EOSUtility.RenameCountroller..ctor()
at EOSUtility.MainMenu..ctor()
at EOSUtility.Program.Main(System.String[])

ty

How new, or old, is your Windows 10 PC?  It crashed reading an XML data stream, most likely from the Registry.

It seems people with certain machines have more complaints than others.  People with older machines that were purchased with Windows 7 installed, and were later upgraded to Windows 10 have trouble.  Some brands that do not use an Intel chipset seem to have more problems, too.

I suggest that you cold reboot your machine by actually selecting [POWER OFF] and turning it back on.  Then, delete the EOS Utility.  Do another cold reboot, reinstall the EOSU, and do another cold reboot. 

If it still does not work, then I suggest that you contact Canon Support at 1-800-OK-CANON.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

My PC is pretty old, it was upgraded form XP to Windows 10.

I will try your suggestion, thanx for your reply.

mark

@mkyp wrote:

My PC is pretty old, it was upgraded form XP to Windows 10.

I will try your suggestion, thanx for your reply.

mark

I hate to say it, but you have confirmed my suspicions.  It’s your hardware.  The BIOS firmware in Windows XP machines do not conform to the VM, Virtual Machine, model that is required for .NET applications running under Windows 10.  Microsoft ended support for XP before they released Windows 10.  This was no accident.  It was a move purposely designed to obsolete the Windows 95/98/XP consumer operating systems.

You can confirm if your hardware is an issue with Canon Support.  I am 99.99% certain that your old hardware is the issue.  You need a PC upgrade to something that uses an Intel chipset.  I recommend a Dell laptop.  Models from 2-3 years ago are compatible, and can be found at clearance prices.

If you wish to run Canon’s DPP software, then a platform with an up-to-date NVidia graphics card is highly recommended to get the best performance.  Some of the Dell gaming laptops and desktops are being sold by Dell, and Dell authorized dealers at clearance prices.

I do not recommend buying a PC or laptop on either eBay or Amazon.  I buy my new gear either directly from the manufacturer or through a highly reputable online retailer like B&H Photovideo in NYC.  B&H is the biggest online retailer in the US for several brands, including Canon.

I too am having this issue with a new windows 10 machine with Nvidia graphics card. I noticed that is correctly identified my machine as windows 10 64 bit however when I look at the running processes it says: Dpp4.exe (32 bit).  Any suggestions on how to get it running.  I have version 3 running just fine.

Thanks

@photojon wrote:

I too am having this issue with a new windows 10 machine with Nvidia graphics card. I noticed that is correctly identified my machine as windows 10 64 bit however when I look at the running processes it says: Dpp4.exe (32 bit).  Any suggestions on how to get it running.  I have version 3 running just fine.

Thanks

What brand of PC?  Is it genuine “Intel Inside”?  Is it a home brewed platform?

@Waddizzle wrote:

@photojon wrote:

Thanks

What brand of PC?  Is it genuine “Intel Inside”?  Is it a home brewed platform?

Hi Waddizzle.  Thanks for the quick reply.  It an "intel inside" i7 processor on an Asus motherboard.  I have 16GB of RAM and 64 bit windows 10 os.  I saw that I mistakenly posted this under EOS Utility.  It is actually Digital Photo Professional 4 that I am not able to get running.  I had version 3 that worked fine.  I then uninstalled version 3 and installed version 4 and initally saw that problem.  Then I read some thread that implied I might have to have kept verion 3 around.  In summary I have tried with or without version 3 and did reboots after each install.  For the uninsalls I also used Revo Uninstall as some threads mentioned that the "build in" uninstaller might not do a through job.  Thanks again for reaching out.

A quick update. I had left the splash screen open while I was doing other tasks. After about 40 minutes, the splash screen went away and the program launched. I then quit the app and tried relaunching. The splash screen has come up. Hoping it doesn't take 40 minutes every time to open. I have no other applications running and as noted above its a i7 processor with 16GB of RAM. I have zero issues with other apps (like Photoshop. I am wondering if the installer has incorrectly installed a 32bit app on my 64bit machine. I did specify win 10 64bit but for some reason (under processes) it appears to be a 32bit version of DPP that got installed.
Announcements