cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility will not launch, shows splash screen then exits; windows 10

Winslow
Apprentice

I've been using EOS utility for months with my 70d and it's been fine. A few days ago it just stopped launching. The splash screen shows and then goes away and the main window never shows up. Happens with both EOS Utility and EOS Utility 2.

I tried a system restore to before the issue with no luck. I have no antivirus programs running besides windows defender. I uninstalled all recent software installations with no luck. I deleted and reinstalled the software, ran the updater, no luck. Finally I did a windows reset/reinstall, and it worked... Until the next restart, and now it's broken again.

Please help I need this software for my work.

19 REPLIES 19

Tim
Authority

Hello Winslow, 

We're sorry to hear that you have experienced issues with this software.  This would be atypical.  Are you able to try an install of EOS Utility on a completely different computer?  This would help you determine if the issue is within the software or the computer itself. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I will be able to soon, i'm waiting on a laptop that is getting repaired.

MeCh
Apprentice

I am having this exact same problem when trying to connect my 7D. My computer is only months old and I have been using EOS Utility on it. Now since a few weeks ago EOS Utility won't do anything more than show the splash screen. Have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling, and only have windows defender running no antivirus. 

Will be glad to hear if you find a solution.

Joel-Mic
Apprentice

I am having the same issue. EOS Utility 2 worked a few weeks ago for me. Now it won't launch, only display the splash screen momentarily.

Also, the EOS Utility Launcher doesn't seem to recognize that I have a 5D Mark II connected. Windows recognizes that the device is connected and I can import the photos via other means, but I want to use EOS Utility for that purpose (auto-rotation and remembering which photos have already been imported).

I am on Windows 10 Professional and am up to date with whatever Windows updates have been foisted on me. I am not running AVG or any other anti-virus. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and applying the most recent EOS Utility 2 update. Help please.

I am having the exact same issue have you been able to get it solved yet?

@Joel-Mic wrote:

I am having the same issue. EOS Utility 2 worked a few weeks ago for me. Now it won't launch, only display the splash screen momentarily.

Also, the EOS Utility Launcher doesn't seem to recognize that I have a 5D Mark II connected. Windows recognizes that the device is connected and I can import the photos via other means, but I want to use EOS Utility for that purpose (auto-rotation and remembering which photos have already been imported).

I am on Windows 10 Professional and am up to date with whatever Windows updates have been foisted on me. I am not running AVG or any other anti-virus. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and applying the most recent EOS Utility 2 update. Help please.

I think EOSU 2 & 3 can confuse each other if they're not installed together. Try uninstalling both and then installing EOSU 3. You'll be prompted to say whether you want EOSU 2 installed as well. Then to invoke either version, you start EOSU 3, which will switch automatically to EOSU 2 if that's what the camera you're using requires. I'm not sure that's very clearly described in the instructions, but that's how it's been working for me.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks for the input Bob.

I tried that and it did get me just a tad further, but it didn't get me all the way there.

With 2&3 installed, the launcher now does recognize when I connect the camera and tries to launch EOS 2. And if I launch 3 manually, it gives me me the "camera not recognized" warning. But in either case, when EOS 2 launches, I still only get the splash screen and then nothing.

@Joel-Mic wrote:

Thanks for the input Bob.

I tried that and it did get me just a tad further, but it didn't get me all the way there.

With 2&3 installed, the launcher now does recognize when I connect the camera and tries to launch EOS 2. And if I launch 3 manually, it gives me me the "camera not recognized" warning. But in either case, when EOS 2 launches, I still only get the splash screen and then nothing.

I guess at this point I'd call Canon Support.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I went through this about a month ago with my 1DX Mark II and HP Z820 workstation running Win 10 Pro.  It is a Windows 10 issue because the current crop of kids in Redmond running MS can't resist constantly monkeying with stuff.  This is the second time it is happened to me since I bought my 1DX M2 in February because of one of Win 10's many updates where they reset numerous user settings.  

I use the gigabit ethernet port in my 1DX 2 but the USB port on cameras should have the same fix.  I deleted the network connection in the camera and then went through initializing it again; Windows responds that it changed some Firewall settings, I set up a fixed IP address, and then it works as it should.  I have to go through an additional step and go with a fixed IP address using the gigabit ethernet to avoid a slow camera recognition every time I connect but this won't be an issue for USB users.  Note that just resetting the Windows firewall settings did not cure this; something else changes within the Win 10 (probably registry items) when the camera network is set up again but it doesn't provide details about what else Win 10 is doing beyond the firewall change.

IF Canon ever ports DPP over to Linux my Z820 will go from dual boot to Linux only.  I have used MS software since the MS/PC DOS days using pretty much every version including some of their unix ports and I have never had issues like Win 10 has created. I spend more time in a month dealing with Win 10 annoyances than I did in probably an entire decade running XP.  Win 10 is like a screaming, emotionally disturbed child constantly causing disruptions and screaming for attention.  If I didn't have this dual processor high performance workstation customized like I want it I would seriously consider switching to a Mac so as to never have to fool with the Win 10 annoyance ever again.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements