cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility not working with Windows 10

almaniac
Apprentice

Hi all, 

I just upgraded to Windows 10, and immediatly ran into the problem that is described in this thread about Windows 8:

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Eos-Utility-problem/td-p/1189

After reading that thread I decided to unplug the other USB devices I had in the computer at the time (Garmin Watch, USB key, smart phone) and turn off the camera.  I then turned on the camera and ran the EOS utility and it found my camera and worked correctly.

Clearly this problem is still not resolved, but that simple work-around gets me downloading my pictures again.  There are a lot of other things people tried in the above thread, but I just unplugged the USB devices and was good to go.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK, solved it. Went to the Canon Support site and although there is no updated software for WIN 10, I checked what was available in the Win 8.1 software. There is an "EOS Utility Updater"... this installed "EOS Utility 2" and now it is working just fine.

View solution in original post

200 REPLIES 200

@wq9nscwrote:

Bitterend,

Glad you figured it out and I can assure you MS hasn't figured out Win 10 which is the most troublesome OS I have ever encountered and I have been using MS operating systems since the PC DOS days.

A good OS should never draw attention to itself but Win 10 is like a child with severe uncontrolled ADHD. The creator update created enough issues that I switched a laptop over to Linux but I need Windows for some of my software on the desktop. I will keep my HP Z820 (wich is running the professional edition of Win 10) for several more years but after that unless Microsoft makes major changes in their philosophy and quality of offerings I will be moving over to a Mac for the future.  I hate Win 10 and all of the time wasting aggravation it has caused that much.

Trust me.  You probably do not want to get locked into Apple by purchasing a MAC.  Apple platforms are good for artists, those who graduate from the school of Fine and Applied Arts.  I am an engineer, and I run database software, CAD software, and programming IDE software.  All of it integrates under Windows, but not on an Apple OS.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@wq9nscwrote:

Bitterend,

Glad you figured it out and I can assure you MS hasn't figured out Win 10 which is the most troublesome OS I have ever encountered and I have been using MS operating systems since the PC DOS days. ...

YMMV, but I found the early days of Windows 8 to be much worse.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat

YMMV, but I found the early days of Windows 8 to be much worse.

Agreed, Bob. WIndows 8 was pretty bad until they brought out Windows 8.1. That's why I persevere with Windows 10. In time it will probably get better.

Richard

The professional version of Windows seems better behaved, probably because it is easier to manage its behavior via the group policy editor.  I haven't had any major issues running it on my HP desktop.

I went through two reinstalls (due to update issues) with my I7 based laptop before I grew tired of dealing with Win 10 and moved the laptop over to Linux.  I got to the point that it was being used primarily for email, web browsing, and for PDF files and Linux does all of that very well without the hassle of Win 10.  

The problem child is an Asus Transformer tablet that came with 8.1 installed with an upgrade to Win 10 and I have had numerous issues with Win 10 on it including several versions of the high system resource utilization after startup due to various update bugs from MS. Unfortunately there is no perfect Linux setup for it and although it works perfectly, outside of the Windows issues, it will be retired probably for an iPad soon because at this point I am not buying anything else running Windows.

XP appears to have been the high point for MS in terms of reliability.  During the XP era I had three desktops and two laptops running XP in addition to numerous machines in the office and never an OS issue with any of them. 

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Hi all,

Interestingly enough I agree with pretty well evrything said. I will not go down the Apple route. I get the impression that they are nearly as bad as microsoft with regards to controling third party apps.

I have however considered Linux. Unbuntu seems to have a following.

So as soon as I have a stable platform running Win10, with all the bloatware removed, and with the rest of my software installed i am going to look and see what aplications there are out there running under Linux. My main uses are for downloading and processing immages; the EOS software, and lightroom/photoshop and my CAD work. other than that browser, WP and spreadsheet, which apper to be available.

I rooted my Samsung tablet because of Googles desire to control every aspect, It seems to me Microsoft have adopted a similar policy.

Just to add a final point on the behaviour of the EOS launcher.

I have just noticed that if there is a change of user on the PC then the second user to log on will find the EOS utility throws up an error.

I get a small window saying "EOS Utility, The application cannot be launched"

Whilst this is only a minor inconvenience for me. The cure is to turn the PC 'OFF' and then restart it, I only discovered it because I went iinto the administrators profile first. It could possibly affect others.

I beleive it has something to do with the EOS UPNP Detector. I think that this may be the app which is called to monitor the USB ports for the camera on PC startup. Whichever user logs on first is the one which gets the program. It is not listed in startup, but the EOS utility is. The EOS utility is also listed as a running app under processes in the task manager, and the EOS UPNP detector is listed under processes.

As in my case the EOS utility stopped functioning when the windows update 1709 arrived, and there is a known change in behaviour with windows insofar that Microsoft have introduced a new feature that re-opens apps which were not closed when windows was shut down. This may be the root cause of many problems.

Whilst I have a workaround for this, because of other programs I use and I need windows to close evrything before shutdown and then open a specific app once on restart, there may be others who are still scratching their heads.

Bitterend,

DPP 4.7.1 Windows Home Build 1709 on board graphics EOS 3.6.3 - Working perfectly

DPP 4.7.2 Windows Pro Build 1709 nVidia Graphics EOS 3.6.3 - Working Perfectly

Upgraded to:

DPP 4.8.2 Windows Home Build 1709 on board graphics EOS 3.7.0 - Working perfectly

DPP 4.8.2 Windows Pro Build 1709 nVidia Graphics EOS 3.7.0 - Working Perfectly

Sorry for your issues.  Not having any problems here. I don't allow programs to run automatically when windows starts.  Most everything runs on demand. 

System 2 is older:

Z97X-UD5H (F8) \RM850w, 4790K, 16GB Vengeance, GTX970 FTW SC, 850 Pro's RAID0, 1TB WD, W10 1709

Cold boots in about 17sec.  You may want to look at the number of apps you allow to start at boot time.  Its best to disable these items from starting during install.  Some however, like the EOS utility can be disabled by right-click in the system tray.  If left unmanaged, over time, conflicts can develop and I believe this is the problem you are experiencing now.  The EOS utility does not need to be running when you start your machine, waiting for you to plug in or pair your camera.  Just open it when you need it.       

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hi Rick,

I keep the number of apps running at startup to the bare minimum, and then load up what I need. I always have Outlook start automatically, as my first task is to check emails & calender. The issues do not appear to be related to any particular make of hardware, searching for answere there are a huge number of returns to win10 1709 or fall creators update errors, and not on any hardware in particular.

The EOS UPNP loader has to be a background application otherwise the PC dosen't call the EOS software. I had the whole thing set up for my workflow:-  Connect camera, tell EOS software to download, Go and make coffee, cone back to find all immages downloaded and in the right folders & lightroom open and ready to import with whatever develop and metadata presets I needed. Drink coffee.

No stress.

The MS 1709 update changed all of that. I ended up having to file over 1200 immages manually from a card reader:- Not Fun:- and way too much caffine. The issues could not have been as a result of conflicts. I did a repair install first, and then a full clean install, both of which exhibited the same behaviour. In the end an upgrad to win10 Professional cured the problem. My NAS also re-appeared!

As an engineer & photographer programming is out of my comfort zone, and clearly MS have has a lot of flack over this update as the latest update fron a couple of days ago has reversed some of the previous changes.

I run 3 profiles on my PC.

An administrator profile which is pretty well locked down. here ond only here can changes be made to the machine. This is really for security.

And two user profiles, one for general office work and lightroom etc, and one for CAD work which needs a different screen resolution. I find it easier and quicker to pick a profile rather than change resolutions dependig on the job.

Anyway, back to the best bit, 4 weeks in the far east and I managed to get some immages of  Tigers in Sumatra.

Regards  Marcel,

EOS 5D3, ~16-35 f2.8 ~ 24-105 ~100 f2.8 macro ~70-200 f1.4 ~100-400

AMD fx 6 core + AMD radeon hd graphic card & dual dell monitors

Greetings Marcel,

What happens if you cold boot the machine, log in as admin and connect your camera?  Does it get picked up by the EOS utility now?

The Standard User account type is not needed for "most' adults who use common sense and exercise safe broowsing / email habits.  We all have our preferences however.  A machine that has a back up solution implemented is protected against data loss, threats and catastrophe, so using an account with limited permissions is not neccessary.  If you have young children on the machine, then this doesn't apply.  🙂

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

This may help the restart issue: 

"

This is the most stupid feature that MS could ever com up.

When you end your work and you shutdown your computer, all that you I want is to start fresh the next day. So, speaking for me and probably millions of other users that don´t want to have Windows opening all sort of programs on start up, it would be much more elegant if MS introduces this odd behavior as a new option. But aparently  simply because some lousy MS developer things that it is better make a shutdown behave similar to a hibernation. 

Fortunately there is a solution that somewhat 'fixed' and worked for me, after reading this topik:

https://superuser.com/questions/1229963/windows-10-disable-reopening-programs-after-restart-startup

Settings > Accounts > Sign-In Options > Privacy 
Then set "Use my sign-in info to automatically finish setting up my device after an update or restart." to Off."

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements