cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility not working with Windows 10

almaniac
Apprentice

Hi all, 

I just upgraded to Windows 10, and immediatly ran into the problem that is described in this thread about Windows 8:

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Eos-Utility-problem/td-p/1189

After reading that thread I decided to unplug the other USB devices I had in the computer at the time (Garmin Watch, USB key, smart phone) and turn off the camera.  I then turned on the camera and ran the EOS utility and it found my camera and worked correctly.

Clearly this problem is still not resolved, but that simple work-around gets me downloading my pictures again.  There are a lot of other things people tried in the above thread, but I just unplugged the USB devices and was good to go.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK, solved it. Went to the Canon Support site and although there is no updated software for WIN 10, I checked what was available in the Win 8.1 software. There is an "EOS Utility Updater"... this installed "EOS Utility 2" and now it is working just fine.

View solution in original post

200 REPLIES 200

James1138
Apprentice

Hi All,

Please could someone help - I've also got the same problem.  I've also been through this thread, watched an unhelpful YouTube video, and scoured Google. 

I've got

- Windows 10 Pro (64bit) - on a Surface Pro 4

- New Canon EOS M5

- Downloaded the latest software from the Canon website (ITU, EOS Utility, DPP)

- Registered for CIG

- I've got a fresh Windows setup with no history, no problems, nothing connected to USB, all settings defaults

- I've tried on my other Windows 10 PC (64bit), same results

- I've not tried installing the Windows Media Feature Pack like one user suggested

All the software correctly installs - yet neither the Image Transfer Utility (ITU) or EOS Utility (EU) works

EU - running the EU utility, it brings up the "Connect an EOS camera" screen, with a button "Pairing over WiFi/LAN".  When clicking, it just shows a blank Camera model / MAC address / IP address.  The camera is "ON", WiFi button pressed.  I've tried EU2 and EU3 - these applications 'load', with all buttons greyed out and no functionality

ITU - when clicking on the executable, nothing happens.  The executable process can be seen via Task Manager into the background.  No images are downloaded

I can successfully connect my camera to my Android Mobile and use the Canon Camera Connect App

I can successfully view images on my TV via DLNA

I can successfully upload images to Irista. 

Yet the EU & ITU software for Image transfer simply doesn't work

I can't find any workaround

May I point out to Canon that there's nothing in the EOS M5 user manual for connecting the camera to a PC.   This is fine if the software is trouble free, although it's not, and there needs to be at least some guidance on how it works.

Any advice or guidance appreciated

Thanks,

James

August 2017

Are you sure you're looking at the full-length user manual? These days, the printed one that comes with the camera is apt to be abbreviated.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Check which communication mode the M5 is set use.  It can use wireless, or USB.  It does not know how to swtich on its' own.  YOU must set the communication mode for the method that you're using.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Sorry only just seen this!! what do you mean by the communication mode the M5 is set use??

Pavel742
Apprentice

Look into Windows Firewall settings and check, if Canon EOS UPNP Detector is allowed in the list. If not, add it.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\EOS Utility\EOSUPNPSV.exe

Then I set compatibily mode for EOS Utility 3 for Windows 8.
Now it works, at least for USB connection.

It worked in all of my Windows 10 computers, some of them for unknown reason does not even ask for firewall modification on the first utility start.

(settings via WiFi AP would be my next challenge - direct connections work without troubles)

MrMikey
Apprentice

original.jpg

Canon EOS no longer auto dectecting?

It's not your cable or your camera. (I personally shoot a canon t4i)

This frustrated me a ton!!!!

*****HERE IS THE ANSWER YOU'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR*****

The problem is the version of Windows 10 you have.  If you have version N, everytime Windows updates, you will find your camera (and many other usb devices like smartphones) are no longer detected.

This is a total pain in the arse, but every time Windows 10 does an update you need to download the media feature pack.

Here is the link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/mediafeaturepack

I registered specifically for those who are having the same issue and spent hours sifting through the internet for a solution.

I hope this helps save some hair pulling.

Jcyber15
Apprentice

My EOS utility stoped working not long after the 29th of dcember 2017which was when I was doing my last colab vid with a friend for youtube. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it but it dosn't work at all. Does any one know how I could solve this issue? The camera I use is a Canon EOS 1300D.

roodis
Contributor

I got the same problem when the "Windows Feature" update was installed a few days ago. I got it to work by setting the Compatibility to "Windows 8". A number of users have reported that there are two EOS Utility programs. The first is in C:\Program Files(x86)\EOS Utility. The second is in C:\Program Files(x86)\EOS Utility\EOS Utility.     apk mod 

The first doesn't run at all after the update. Doesn't show up in Task Manager at all. The second run can be made to run (change the pointer in Start Menu or your shortcut), but comes up with "Download Photos" greyed out.

You have to set the Compatibility Setting on the first program and let it call the second one for you. Then the program will run as normal.               kik Apk 

Only took me about 8 hours of reading various forums to figure this out.

Hi all,

I have been struggling with this now since the microsoft creators update 1709. Canon say it is Microsoft, and Microsoft say it is not us!!

So I have got it working............Yipeee!!!!

It would not work on a PC with windows home edition, at all. I tried re-installing latest version, original version, and updater. nothing worked. uninstalling, cleaning registry each time. I did an install repair of Win10, still no joy. So I did a clean install of Win10 with a disk format, just to ensure that there was nothinng left, Still did not work. However it did work after I got a pre 1709 ISO from microsoft which was a professional version. I managed to install and test the EOS software, then the PC went into it's B****Y update cycle despite me trying to stop it. However after the update to 1709 the EOS software was still functioning.

I have just tried the EOS software on an ancient laptop which has Win10 pro on it and lo-and-behold it works. Why i didn't think to try this first Doh!!

My conclusion, dispite Microsofts insistence, I think there are some fundimental differences between Home and Pro. Certain other things also started to behave differently, My NSA suddenly apperaed fo one thing. It appeared that the pc was trying to make the camera connect wirelesly, which it would not. Possibly the alterations to networking withinn windows allowed the camer to connect by USB

I would be interested to know if any other users could add to this.

Bitterend,

Glad you figured it out and I can assure you MS hasn't figured out Win 10 which is the most troublesome OS I have ever encountered and I have been using MS operating systems since the PC DOS days.

A good OS should never draw attention to itself but Win 10 is like a child with severe uncontrolled ADHD. The creator update created enough issues that I switched a laptop over to Linux but I need Windows for some of my software on the desktop. I will keep my HP Z820 (wich is running the professional edition of Win 10) for several more years but after that unless Microsoft makes major changes in their philosophy and quality of offerings I will be moving over to a Mac for the future.  I hate Win 10 and all of the time wasting aggravation it has caused that much.

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video
Announcements