cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility not working with Windows 10

almaniac
Apprentice

Hi all, 

I just upgraded to Windows 10, and immediatly ran into the problem that is described in this thread about Windows 8:

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Eos-Utility-problem/td-p/1189

After reading that thread I decided to unplug the other USB devices I had in the computer at the time (Garmin Watch, USB key, smart phone) and turn off the camera.  I then turned on the camera and ran the EOS utility and it found my camera and worked correctly.

Clearly this problem is still not resolved, but that simple work-around gets me downloading my pictures again.  There are a lot of other things people tried in the above thread, but I just unplugged the USB devices and was good to go.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK, solved it. Went to the Canon Support site and although there is no updated software for WIN 10, I checked what was available in the Win 8.1 software. There is an "EOS Utility Updater"... this installed "EOS Utility 2" and now it is working just fine.

View solution in original post

200 REPLIES 200

I sprung for a Windows 8.1 tablet a couple of months ago, with the intent of using it to control my camera remotely, or at least use it as a larger display for LiveView photos.  It worked with the tablet running Windows 8.1 quite well, on both a T5 and 6D.

Over the weekend, I went for the free upgrade to Windows 10.  I deleted the Canon applications because Windows 10 said that they were no longer being made available.  I downloaded and installed the Windows 10 versions of EOS utility and DPP4.  Both are working without a hitch.  My tablet is a mid-range Lenovo.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

EOS utility 2 just says camera unreconisable when the sofeware is surposed to surport it.

@Jcyber15 wrote:

EOS utility 2 just says camera unreconisable when the sofeware is surposed to surport it.

Try reinstalling the latest version from the Canon website. Then right-click to get to Properties. On the Compatibility  Tab, set compatibility to be Windows 8. Make sure that you are setting properties on the program at "C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\EOS Utility\EOS Utility.exe", not on EOS Utility 2, which is in a different folder. The main EOS Utility is supposed to check what camera is connected, then call EOS Utility 2 with the correct parameters for that camera.

I think I have solved the problem regarding connecting 70D to the laptop with windows 10 via Wifi

This is what I did. Hope works for you. 

1- Connect laptop to home wifi

2- Open the wifi menu from the right lower corner and turn on the Hotspot. 

3- Configue the hotspot including the network name and a passoword

4- Connect your camera to the hotspot and NOT TO THE HOME WIFI!

Chees!

Hi all,

I have read the thread and have the same problem - my EOS M6 will work with my android phone for remote shooting  by WiFi but the Canon DPP software won't see it for remote shoooting.  Downloading is not an issue, I can take the SD card out for that, but I would like to be able to shoot from computer.   So, all Canon software is freshly loaded and reloaded, and I am on Windows 10, I've loaded the Media Pack.  Before I give up on this - is there a step by step solution that would work for me please?  The client/server bits might be what I need, but I don't know how to change that on my computer or camera.

I know I could just use the android phone as a work around but I would prefer to use the Canon software on my laptop if it can be made to work.

Thanks

Ian

Further to my problem above.  After some more work I can now download images from camera to laptop via WiFi - both to my Win10 laptop and an older one running Win7.  The problem is that DPPv4 does not recognise my M6 camera for remote shooting, so I think this may be a Canon software issue rather than a connection issue.   It says 'unsupported camera' in the remote shooting page of DPP.  Coming to the conclusion that the EOS utility is not working - it fails to see the camera in Win10 and Win7. 

Having read more online it seems Canon software is full of problems and most people seem to have to resolve these by themselves but I am failing to see a common pattern in the solutions.

I just bought a Rebel 6T and downloaded the recommended EOS Utility.  My Windows version is Windows 10 Home version 1709 build 16299.125.

When I click on the desktop icon to start the utility for the first time after plugging in the camera and turning it on nothing happens.  I followed the instructions in the pdf manual to disable autoplay for the camera.  The camera is showing up just fine in file explorer.

I read that AVG sometimes causes problems with the utility.  I disabled the AVG  file shield, but that didn't help.

If I am unable to reslove this issue with the utility, would there be a problem with using file explorer to upload photos?

Thank you for any help with this.

@Baycreekgal wrote:

I just bought a Rebel 6T and downloaded the recommended EOS Utility.  My Windows version is Windows 10 Home version 1709 build 16299.125.

When I click on the desktop icon to start the utility for the first time after plugging in the camera and turning it on nothing happens.  I followed the instructions in the pdf manual to disable autoplay for the camera.  The camera is showing up just fine in file explorer.

I read that AVG sometimes causes problems with the utility.  I disabled the AVG  file shield, but that didn't help.

If I am unable to reslove this issue with the utility, would there be a problem with using file explorer to upload photos?

Thank you for any help with this.

I seem to recall that EOSU requires the Windows Media Player, which I believe the Home Edition doesn't have. Apparently you have to download it from the Microsoft Web site and install it yourself.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

You also need to set the "Compatibility Mode" on 'EOS Utility.exe'. Make sure you use the one in C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\EOS Utility. (There is another one further down in an EU2 folder). RIght-click on the .Exe file and select 'Properties". Click on the "Compatibility" tab and set Compatibility Mode to "Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 8". WIndows 8 is selected from a drop-down list.

I'm running Windows 10 Pro, and that was all I had to do to get it working.

Richard.

I tried compatability mode but it didn't work for me.

Ian

Announcements