cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility not working with Windows 10

almaniac
Apprentice

Hi all, 

I just upgraded to Windows 10, and immediatly ran into the problem that is described in this thread about Windows 8:

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Eos-Utility-problem/td-p/1189

After reading that thread I decided to unplug the other USB devices I had in the computer at the time (Garmin Watch, USB key, smart phone) and turn off the camera.  I then turned on the camera and ran the EOS utility and it found my camera and worked correctly.

Clearly this problem is still not resolved, but that simple work-around gets me downloading my pictures again.  There are a lot of other things people tried in the above thread, but I just unplugged the USB devices and was good to go.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK, solved it. Went to the Canon Support site and although there is no updated software for WIN 10, I checked what was available in the Win 8.1 software. There is an "EOS Utility Updater"... this installed "EOS Utility 2" and now it is working just fine.

View solution in original post

200 REPLIES 200

Thanks for that but I am running under windows 10. don't want to risk screwing up the programs and having more issues.

Me too. Trust me, I work in IT and this is NOT going to screw up anything.

I ave a feeling I have tried that unsuccessfully previoiusly but will give it a try.

I have had a similar problem since the "Windows Feature" update which just got installed. It's happened in the past, but I always got around it by updating the EOS Utility software. Not this time though. I had to set Compatibility mode to Windows 8 , but on the first "EOS Utility" program - the one that didn't run at all. The second one (in C:\Program Files(x86)\EOS Utility\Eos Utility) would run, but the main options were greyed out. Setting Compatibility mode on the second program did nothing.

firefly2560 wrote:
I have had a similar problem since the "Windows Feature" update which just got installed. It's happened in the past, but I always got around it by updating the EOS Utility software. Not this time though. I had to set Compatibility mode to Windows 8 , but on the first "EOS Utility" program - the one that didn't run at all. The second one (in C:\Program Files(x86)\EOS Utility\Eos Utility) would run, but the main options were greyed out. Setting Compatibility mode on the second program did nothing.

That last big Windows 10 update didn't go very smoothly, but I didn't see a direct effect on EOS Utility. The update did, however, reset some crucial parameters in my computer's network interfaces, which had the effect of killing off WiFi until I got the settings back in order. So if your EOSU is using WiFi to communicate with the camera, it's conceivable that that's at least part fo the problem. Setting up network interfaces isn't exactly trivial; but I happen to be a retired computer system engineer, so for me it was more a nuisance than a show stopper. For someone less computer literate, it could be a problem.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Luckily, I don't use a Wi-Fi connection. My camera is a 7D Mark 1, which doesn't support Wi-Fi. What the WIndows Update killed was the USB interface, which was easier to fix.

Disable your WiFi and connect using USB cable

Wifi.PNG

This worked for me. A little tricky trying to find the down load, but got there in the end.

I installed EOS Utility 2 and Utility 3 but are not working for me. What did I do wrong?

I cannot opn EOS Utility at all to save my life and don't have proper cord to do manual download.......

Members at this community.........please help!!

@xyz77chiu wrote:
I installed EOS Utility 2 and Utility 3 but are not working for me. What did I do wrong?

I cannot opn EOS Utility at all to save my life and don't have proper cord to do manual download.......

Members at this community.........please help!!

Make sure you have the latest release of EOSU. And if you're using the Home Edition of Windows 10, make sure that Windows Media Player is properly installed and operational.

But if uploading pictures to a computer is your sole objective, the simplest solution is to buy a card reader.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements