cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility not working with Windows 10

almaniac
Apprentice

Hi all, 

I just upgraded to Windows 10, and immediatly ran into the problem that is described in this thread about Windows 8:

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Eos-Utility-problem/td-p/1189

After reading that thread I decided to unplug the other USB devices I had in the computer at the time (Garmin Watch, USB key, smart phone) and turn off the camera.  I then turned on the camera and ran the EOS utility and it found my camera and worked correctly.

Clearly this problem is still not resolved, but that simple work-around gets me downloading my pictures again.  There are a lot of other things people tried in the above thread, but I just unplugged the USB devices and was good to go.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK, solved it. Went to the Canon Support site and although there is no updated software for WIN 10, I checked what was available in the Win 8.1 software. There is an "EOS Utility Updater"... this installed "EOS Utility 2" and now it is working just fine.

View solution in original post

200 REPLIES 200

piloteer
Contributor

What I'd like is to know exactly which version of the software A) to download or B) to use (there seems to be two eos utility.exe applications in the folder as well as EOS Utility 2.exe) for EOS 70D and Windows 10 64-bit. 

@piloteer wrote:

What I'd like is to know exactly which version of the software A) to download or B) to use (there seems to be two eos utility.exe applications in the folder as well as EOS Utility 2.exe) for EOS 70D and Windows 10 64-bit. 

If you are running with a 64-bit Windows OS, you should install the latest edition of EOS Utility Version 3. This will inbstall both Version 3 and Version 2. Some cameras are compatible with Version 3, and some aren't. But when you use Version 3, it detects what type of camera you're using and calls Version 2 automatically if necessary.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Utility 3 says my 70D is not supported. EOS Utility 2 crashes instantly in Windows 10 as others have mentioned here. Original EOS utility is the only one I've ever got working on Windows 10 but if I  install the update or any more recent versions, EOS Utility 2 is set as the default program to launch and as I mentioned, it crashes instantly. At a bit of a loss and have been since I installed Windows 10

@piloteer wrote:

Utility 3 says my 70D is not supported. EOS Utility 2 crashes instantly in Windows 10 as others have mentioned here. Original EOS utility is the only one I've ever got working on Windows 10 but if I  install the update or any more recent versions, EOS Utility 2 is set as the default program to launch and as I mentioned, it crashes instantly. At a bit of a loss and have been since I installed Windows 10

All I can tell you is that I have it running the way I said on computers running Windows 8, 8.1, and 10. If I were you, I guess I'd uninstall the versions you're trying to run and reinstall the latest edition of EOSU V3. My experience is that that works. If it doesn't work for you, maybe you have some other software interfering.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

aafotog
Contributor

This method - unplugging all USB devices - worked for me before. But after downloading new Win 10 updates, eos utility stopped working again. Luckily I saw another thread in this page and his method worked like a charm.

I went to Canon Support online > Software Downloads > entered my product, in my case 5D Mark II > Software. This automatically identified my OS, the updated Win 10. The fix patch became available for download > Download. Followed the prompts to download, then Opened the downloaded patch. Once again followed the prompts to Install the patch - turned out it became EOS Utility 2. The icon has a different look now, but it works! It works! It works!

Thank you, Canon Community! I was tearing my hair out before I found this!

Just providing an update on my situation.

In another thread I indicated a problem with Windows 10 not detecting my Camera (70D) on my system (Win 7 upgraded to Win 10). 70D no driver

Other Win 10 systems upgraded from Win 7 detected my camera so I suspect my system was unique.

Well a fresh install of Win 10 detects my camera just fine, and after installing the Canon software from the CD that came with my Camers the EOS utility starts automatically when I connect my 70D. The EOS utility Version is 2.13.30.0.

Interesting! I ended up installing the utility on a second machine in the house that used Windows 7, and getting it to dump the files into Dropbox, so my main PC could read them... I'm planning on reinstalling Windows 10 soon anyway so maybe there's a stray setting or something that's preventing it working. Thanks for the information.

You're welcome. 

Here is a further update:

There is still some weirdness however, I can live with it.

My camera is recognized on both front USB2 ports and the EOS utility is started automagically when the camera is connected to the first one. However, if I connect the camera to the other USB2 port it is recognized but EOS utility isn't started. The first time I connected to this other port Windows asked what I wished to do. I selected start the EOS utility but it just opens Windows Explorer window. The other USB2 port works fine. I even made sure that Autoplay was set correctly but still only works correctly on the first USB2 port to which it was connected.

nekcarolyn
Apprentice

If you are still there, I am reading your post. 

I have an old eos and windows 10, and cannot upload pics from the cam

your workaround did not work

any more ideas?

carolyn

Announcements