cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility not working with Windows 10

almaniac
Apprentice

Hi all, 

I just upgraded to Windows 10, and immediatly ran into the problem that is described in this thread about Windows 8:

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Eos-Utility-problem/td-p/1189

After reading that thread I decided to unplug the other USB devices I had in the computer at the time (Garmin Watch, USB key, smart phone) and turn off the camera.  I then turned on the camera and ran the EOS utility and it found my camera and worked correctly.

Clearly this problem is still not resolved, but that simple work-around gets me downloading my pictures again.  There are a lot of other things people tried in the above thread, but I just unplugged the USB devices and was good to go.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK, solved it. Went to the Canon Support site and although there is no updated software for WIN 10, I checked what was available in the Win 8.1 software. There is an "EOS Utility Updater"... this installed "EOS Utility 2" and now it is working just fine.

View solution in original post

200 REPLIES 200

I found out that my version of Windows 10 is a N version. That means that Microsoft has removed a lot of multimedia functions. Like Windows Media Player.

When searching for a solution I found the update KB3099229 (which replaced the old KB3010081).

And Eureka!! I got Windows Media Player and EOS Utility worked fine.

piloteer
Contributor

Found something pretty strange! So, the automatic image download (I usually have it download all images that haven't been downloaded over the WiFi connection on my 70D) in EOS utility would get stuck on the first image. I say stuck - it would download but it took an age - literally 15 mins for one photo. Yet it's from the same spot I usually download from and used to get about 1 image a second.

Then, when the first image is done, it ramps up speed to normal. Likewise I could actually browse the photos in EOS utility and manually downloading them was fine too. So, even when I get EOS utlility to work (which is still hit or miss in Windows 10) I have to manually download the photos. 

Anyway, congratulations to Canon for being the only company that makes software I use that has issues with Windows 10!

Joiemagic
Apprentice

I just purchased a new laptop with Windows 10.  Cannot find anywhere to download the Utility at all.  Have downloaded the update, but being there is no utility to update, there is nothing for it to do.  Any ideas where I can get the utility?

I downloaded it a few days ago - just go to Canon's website and look under downloads for your camera (mine is 1Dx).

Nope - won't work with most people's cameras. They often offer only an 'updater' download that will only update an existing version - not install from fresh.

@piloteer wrote:

Nope - won't work with most people's cameras. They often offer only an 'updater' download that will only update an existing version - not install from fresh.

That's not true.  Most of the DSLRs come with their software on CD.-  Many people use devices that lack CD drives, so the software is available in digital form for download.  It's frequently called a "solutions disk".

Is there a specific camera model that you need to download?

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/

Check out that link, and enter in the camera model.  You may need re-select the OS to see the original disk downloads.  The CDs were not originally released for the latest releases of Windows and Mac OS.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I think the only difference when you download some of the progams from the original discs, is that you have to enter the serial number of the camera.  Not sure why as it is presumably of no use to someone with another make of camera, unless there are Canon clones around.

Great if you're in the US, but that doesn't work on the UK site. However, a lot of people in this thread and elsewhere would benefit from your info myself included so thankyou! The least they could do would be a make it listed under 8.1 and 10, even if you have to update it!!! Although, this still doesn't fix my issue with any versions of EOS utility working properly with Windows 10...

@piloteer wrote:

Great if you're in the US, but that doesn't work on the UK site. However, a lot of people in this thread and elsewhere would benefit from your info myself included so thankyou! The least they could do would be a make it listed under 8.1 and 10, even if you have to update it!!! Although, this still doesn't fix my issue with any versions of EOS utility working properly with Windows 10...

Which comment are you replying to?

@piloteer wrote:

Lundavra wrote: Which comment are you replying to?

Waddizzle's one on the previous page

Announcements