cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility not working with Windows 10

almaniac
Apprentice

Hi all, 

I just upgraded to Windows 10, and immediatly ran into the problem that is described in this thread about Windows 8:

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/Eos-Utility-problem/td-p/1189

After reading that thread I decided to unplug the other USB devices I had in the computer at the time (Garmin Watch, USB key, smart phone) and turn off the camera.  I then turned on the camera and ran the EOS utility and it found my camera and worked correctly.

Clearly this problem is still not resolved, but that simple work-around gets me downloading my pictures again.  There are a lot of other things people tried in the above thread, but I just unplugged the USB devices and was good to go.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

OK, solved it. Went to the Canon Support site and although there is no updated software for WIN 10, I checked what was available in the Win 8.1 software. There is an "EOS Utility Updater"... this installed "EOS Utility 2" and now it is working just fine.

View solution in original post

200 REPLIES 200

Lundavra
Enthusiast

I have been using Windows 10 for months and downloading has been fine though it is a bit confusing having two different looking EOS downloaders and my laptop having a completely different look.

A week ago I started getting the "EOS Utility 2 has stopped working' message. 

I uninstalled the software  and installed again.

Tried unplugging other USB equipment.  EOS Utility 3 is working OK.

Still got the programme.

ColinSouthern
Contributor

Hi Folks,

Apologies in advance for reviving this thread.

I'm tearing my hair out trying to connect my 1DX to my Windows 7 x64 PC via a wired LAN setup.

Camera is running latest firmware - PC is running latest EOS Utilities (3.3).

Basically ... EOS Utilities Launcher fires up - I click on the WLAN/WiFi button to pair - camera appears (with correct IP Address & MAC address) - I select it - dialog box closes - I'm returned to EOS Utility Launcher - and the Camera LAN light goes back to flashing red in about 10 seconds and an error message appearsin the log "ERR 11 - Connection Target Not Found".

If I start up EOS Utility 2 or 3 both have almost everything greyed out.

Here's the rub - if I configure the camera to use a WFTServer connection it works fine (thus network setup / Cables / Hub etc) must all be OK - but as soon as I switch it back to EOS Utility the same cycle repeats all over again - flashes green - option pops up for pairing after about 10 seconds - I select it - nothing happens - and back to red flashing LED about 10 sec after that.

Any ideas anyone? I've previously had it working under Windows 7 Pro x64 (just not this particular installation). Also tried it on another PC with Win 10 x64 - appears to be same issue. Have tried "run as administrator" and several compatability modes.

piloteer
Contributor

Hi all. Just thought I'd add that none of the updated software worked for me on W10 until I reset all Wifi settings in the camera (70D). Once I'd done that and reconnected to the network, Windows 10 picked up on the camera with a message (it was only shown in 'Network' before, then EOS Utility fired up and all was well. I appear to be using either the original version or version 2 of the software as I'd just reinstalled. haven't tried version 3 yet but I'm just happy it works!

Ah nope, not working properly. Smiley Sad

EOS Utility 3 says camera not supported. EOS Utility 2 doesn't do anything. EOS utility (1) finds the camera as normal but transfer rate is painfully slow. I'd be doing an image every 1-2 seconds usually from the exact same spot. Now it's taking 1-2mins per photo. 

For what it's worth, the ONLY way I was able to make it work in the end was to do it via a USB connection. Quite strange really, considering that I can use the camera as a server via TCP/IP just fine.

Best guess is it's just a bug - so we'll probably just need to do our best to work around it until the gods release a fix.

Dickradduci
Apprentice

I also had trouble with the EOS Utility after uupgrading to Win 10.  After much knashing of teeth it finally occured to me that Win 10 no longer needs the EOS Utility to download images from my Canon 5D Mark II.  Win 10 already has a built-in driver for my 5D, but it wants me to tell it what it should do with the driver.  First I uninstlaled theA  EOS Utility. Then I plugged my 5D into the computer's USB port.  Right away, a black box popped up in the lower right hand corder of my screen after I turned the camer on.  When I clicked on the black box query a list of options popped up, one of which was to download videos and photos.  I selected that.  A few seconds later, the Windows downloader wiindow openned and I was able to download all of my photos perfectly into a directory that I selected. 

Great. Problem solved, but I like the EOS Utility for downloading.  It then occured to me that I had not told Windows 10 what to do with the 5D driver prior to instlalling the EOS Utility.  OK.  I re-installed the EOS Utiility and turned the camera on again. Bingo.  The EOS Utility then worked and I wa able to download all of my images, just as I used to do with early and all versions of Windows.

If you are having trouble using the EOS Utiliy and non of the solutions listed here works, try just plugging your camera into the usb port and looking for the black box in the lower right hand corner of the screen asking you what you want to do with the driver for this device.  Chances are good that it will be happy to let you download images as soon as you tell Win 10 how to handle your camera.  Hope this hekps.

ColinSouthern
Contributor
I'm about to format the disk & reinstall Windows 7 Pro - that should fix it once and for all.

Honestly - I love Canon, but like so many big companies, they've got duck/shove down to an art form.

ColinSouthern
Contributor
In my case though, I'm just trying to get it to tether with a 1D X by showing/storing a low-res JPEG whilst storing the RAW (and low res) images on the CF cards.

Anyone have any luck with that?

Hi anyone having image transfer problem with canon utilities and Windows 10..

Solution

1. After Windows 10 update You MUST re-enable Media streaming under windows "Change advanced Sharing settings"

2. If you have any kind of firewall you MUST allow "PING" (ICMP protocol) and/or allow the canon utilities in the white list.

Sorry no time to elaborate. I almost didn't share this because there is no anonymous replies on this forum.

BTW, read the manuals folks. 

@TheHelper wrote:

Hi anyone having image transfer problem with canon utilities and Windows 10..

Solution

1. After Windows 10 update You MUST re-enable Media streaming under windows "Change advanced Sharing settings"

2. If you have any kind of firewall you MUST allow "PING" (ICMP protocol) and/or allow the canon utilities in the white list.

Sorry no time to elaborate. I almost didn't share this because there is no anonymous replies on this forum.

BTW, read the manuals folks. 

So why does the earlier version of EOS Utility 2 work perfectly OK in Windows 10 but the later version not work?

Why does EOS Utility 3 work OK.

I suspect there are several different causes of the problems.

Announcements