cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility not opening on new laptop

DaveSpittle
Contributor

Hi guys, I have purchased a new laptop and downloaded the EOS Utility software to transfer my images. When I connect the cable and turn on the camera, the first part loads but it doesn't get past the initial screen. It works perfectly fine on my old laptop and my desktop.

My camera is the EOS 5D Mark iv

My new laptop is a Lenovo Legion 5, with Ryzen 7 4800h processor and Nvidia GeForce RTX graphics.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

7 REPLIES 7

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum. 

See here: https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Software/EOS3-utility-USB-connection-fails-on-Win10-Ryzen-wireles...

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I think John makes a valid point.

My Legion is intel based and it works as expected.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

Yes it's an issue between Canon and AMD apparently. Trust me to find out the hard way Smiley Sad

USFMARINE
Contributor

I have the same exact laptop and I am having the same problem.  Why should this work any differently on a Ryzen powered PC versus an Intel one?  it works perfect on my 10 yearold Intel-based desktop but is incredibly buggy on a brand new Lenovo Legion 5i (powered by Ryzen 7 4800h). Canon has really dropped the ball here.  I tried every USB3.0 cable I have.  I can get it to work about 1 out of 30 tries, and by following a bizarre sequence of computer restarts and pulling the battery on my 5D mk iv.  Canon, please update your EOS Webcam Utility software so that it runs on an AMD Ryzen processor.  This distinction between AMD Ryzen and Intel should not exist.

@USFMARINE wrote:

I have the same exact laptop and I am having the same problem.  Why should this work any differently on a Ryzen powered PC versus an Intel one?  it works perfect on my 10 yearold Intel-based desktop but is incredibly buggy on a brand new Lenovo Legion 5i (powered by Ryzen 7 4800h). Canon has really dropped the ball here.  I tried every USB3.0 cable I have.  I can get it to work about 1 out of 30 tries, and by following a bizarre sequence of computer restarts and pulling the battery on my 5D mk iv.  Canon, please update your EOS Webcam Utility software so that it runs on an AMD Ryzen processor.  This distinction between AMD Ryzen and Intel should not exist.

I don't know that anyone here knows the exact problem, but if you search the internet you will see that there are problems unrelated to Canon with AMD USB3 high speed bus. I believe the 5D4 was Canon's first USB3 connection body.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

USFMARINE
Contributor
I saw a post on Reddit with the easiest workaround to restore 100% operation. If you use a cheap USB hub in between your 5d mk iv and your Ryzen computer it solves all of the issues. A cheapo USB hub that's 12 years old solved all of my problems instantly. USB 2.0 was plenty fast for the EOS Webcam Utility and EOS Utility. If you need USB 3.0 spend a few extra dollars and get one of those. 100% fix.

DaveSpittle
Contributor
Great thanks, I will give that a go
Announcements