cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility - not launching?

squaka
Apprentice

For no apparent reason EOSU appears to have stopped working, somewhat. The main application does not load. I am using a D70 with EOSU on Win 7. I am attempting to connect wirelessly, this worked fairly well before.

I tried using the updated EOSU via Canon's website, but to no avail. Before the update, I sussesfully paired the devices wirelessly, but as Utility would not load after clicking the icon on desktop, no error messaged. The camera's wifi display seems ok (no blinking) - so I opted for the update. After this, when I click on the EOS UTility, it just says 'application already running.'

I am now at wits end having tried everything I could think of, please help!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

I found out what was causing the problem on my computer.  It was AVG AntivirusEOS Utility stopped working on another computer and no I thought that was very peculiar.  I started looking harder at my configurations and starting turning things off. Sure enough it was AVG antivirus. As soon as I disabled it the EOS utility started working. They must have had a recent update that cause the problems because it was working before. No errors in AVG so I am going to have some choice words with them. It is unacceptable to disable a program and not display any notification that you are doing it. I have spent a considerable amount of time troubleshooting this.

View solution in original post

Sam_tyndall
Apprentice

Hi Guys,

I've rung Canon support as was having the same problem with EOS Utility. They advised I remove all canon software from my PC, then disable AVG while I re-installed the Canon software. I can confirm this has worked! Smiley Happy

Thanks

View solution in original post

21 REPLIES 21

"Application already running" can mean that EOSU is set to start itself at login. (That's one of the setup options in EOSU.) So maybe it actually is already running.
Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

If it were running, I am still faced with the issue of not having the dashboard accessible to me. I cannot trigger the download of photos, nor operate any remote functionality. All that appears to have happened, is that camera and PC are 'connected' - yet I have no option to actually do anything.

If I stick to EOSU1 (the one that came with the Camera on CD) - at least the WFTPairing software gives me confirmation of that connection (although nothing I can do with it). After the update to EOSU2 (from Canon's website) - absolutely nothing happens.

Please note, until a few weeks ago - this worked flawlessly.. thanks for your help!

I am having the same problem on one computer connecting with USB.  EOS version 3.2.20.  Windows 7 64 bit.  It is running OK on other computers also Win 7 64 bit and was running on this computer.  I have tried un-installing it including the driver and reinstalling it.  Made no difference.  Two different cameras.  I click on the icon and nothing happens.  If I right click on open it rays it is running.  Nothing I can do to get it to work.  Any suggestions? 

ptp
Apprentice

Same problem for me too. Camera: 5D III, OS Win7 x64

I tried to "manually" launch "EOS utility 3 .exe" and "EOS utility 2 .exe" from the folders where files are installed but I got the same problem.

If I launch EOS utility in folder EOS Utility (which is in folder EU2) I can launch the program but I cannot download images. Only link active is " monitor folder".

I have already tried to reinstall everything multiple times (and always re-strarting my PC between uninstalling and re-installing).

Any help?

Thanks!

@ptp wrote:

Same problem for me too. Camera: 5D III, OS Win7 x64

I tried to "manually" launch "EOS utility 3 .exe" and "EOS utility 2 .exe" from the folders where files are installed but I got the same problem.

If I launch EOS utility in folder EOS Utility (which is in folder EU2) I can launch the program but I cannot download images. Only link active is " monitor folder".

I have already tried to reinstall everything multiple times (and always re-strarting my PC between uninstalling and re-installing).

Any help?

Thanks!

Uninstall both versions of EOSU and start over, installing only EOSU 3. One of the options displayed will be to include EOSU 2 as part of the installation, so check that option. Then when you start EOSU with its GUI, it will automatically select the correct version - in your case EOSU 3, because that's what works correctly with the 5D3. If you use it on, say, a Rebel, EOSU 2 will be used.

One other thing you might do is make sure you've installed DPP 4. (DPP 3 and DPP 4 can co-exist on the same computer.) The latest versions of EOSU and DPP are more closely integrated than in the past, so it's conceivable that EOSU 3 needs DPP 4 in order for all its functionality to work correctly.

Bob

Is EOSU3 also available for the 70d? I did not try tis option...

@squaka wrote:

Is EOSU3 also available for the 70d? I did not try tis option...

I don't think so.

Bob

Hi Bob,

thank you for your answer.

Actually when I install EOS utility I cannot uncheck EOSU2. I litteraly don't have boxes to check or uncheck So I have to install EOSU2, EOSU3, EOS lens registration tool and EOS Web Service Registration tool.

I have tried installing DPP4 (which I did not have) but nothing changed. I am still unable to download pics with EOS utility.

I found out what was causing the problem on my computer.  It was AVG AntivirusEOS Utility stopped working on another computer and no I thought that was very peculiar.  I started looking harder at my configurations and starting turning things off. Sure enough it was AVG antivirus. As soon as I disabled it the EOS utility started working. They must have had a recent update that cause the problems because it was working before. No errors in AVG so I am going to have some choice words with them. It is unacceptable to disable a program and not display any notification that you are doing it. I have spent a considerable amount of time troubleshooting this.

Announcements