cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility do not recognize the camera on Windows 10

DGM
Apprentice

EOS Utility newer version 3.9.0.0 do not recognize the camera on Windows 10.
What could be the problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I am also running the latest version of EOS Utility with Windows 10 (Pro 64) and for no apparent reason it suddenly decided not to autostart, if I tried to start manually with the desktop shortcut it just sat there telling me that no camera was connected and was waiting for a Wi-Fi connection. If I closed the program then it refused to start again until I stopped it in task manager.

I tried everything to get it going, including re-installing and altering startup options all to no avail.

I got over this by going to ProgramFiles(x86)/Canon/EOS Utility/EU3 and starting EOS Utilty 3.exe manually. I deleted the original desktop shortcut and made a new one pointing to EOS Utilty 3 and now it works perfectly from that every time, no autostart but I prefer the manual start. I think the original desktop icon would be alright if you want to connect over Wi-Fi but for a wired connection it seems a bit flaky.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

EOS utility defaults to launching automatically when Windows starts.  After one of the recent Win 10 updates, EOS utility would no longer find either of my 1DX series cameras.  I set it so it no longer launches automatically at startup; to do this hit ctrl alt del to launch task manager, select the startup tab, and set EOS utility to disabled.  Now connect your camera and after initiating communications via the camera menu THEN manually launch EOS utility and it should work OK.  Once you have manually done this once during a Windows session you can connect and disconnect your camera or other cameras and it will automatically work without further input from you.

I have been doing this for about 6 weeks after the problem started after one of the many forced updates from MS;  Microsoft MAY have corrected this problem with one of their later updates but since it works fine manually AND the goofs in Redmond are continually screwing things up with their misbehaved garbage OS I am leaving it set not to start automatically.   

Hope this work around works for you.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

My EOS Utility startup has been disabled for a long time and with version 3.9.0.0 everything works correctly. Problems begin if I upgrade EOS Utility to any newer version

I am running the most current version (3.11) and it is working with my Win 10 Pro 64 install.  

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I am also running the latest version of EOS Utility with Windows 10 (Pro 64) and for no apparent reason it suddenly decided not to autostart, if I tried to start manually with the desktop shortcut it just sat there telling me that no camera was connected and was waiting for a Wi-Fi connection. If I closed the program then it refused to start again until I stopped it in task manager.

I tried everything to get it going, including re-installing and altering startup options all to no avail.

I got over this by going to ProgramFiles(x86)/Canon/EOS Utility/EU3 and starting EOS Utilty 3.exe manually. I deleted the original desktop shortcut and made a new one pointing to EOS Utilty 3 and now it works perfectly from that every time, no autostart but I prefer the manual start. I think the original desktop icon would be alright if you want to connect over Wi-Fi but for a wired connection it seems a bit flaky.

Ray,

I suspect that what you just experienced is more of the Win 10 update silliness that breaks a lot of stuff with every new patch.  I put the EOS utility start icon on my taskbar a couple of years ago and that is what I use to start it manually.  Mine has been trouble free since I disabled automatic startup in task manager and then I activate it manually after I tell the camera to initiate communications.  I am using the ethernet interface from the 1DX and 1DX2 to a gigabit ethernet port on my HP Z station.

However I think with Win 10 you are always one flawed Microsoft patch away from new problems so I have no confidence that I won't have to deal with other connection issues in the future as this garbage OS continues to further decompose.

Rodger

@wq9nsc wrote:

Ray,

I suspect that what you just experienced is more of the Win 10 update silliness that breaks a lot of stuff with every new patch.  I put the EOS utility start icon on my taskbar a couple of years ago and that is what I use to start it manually.  Mine has been trouble free since I disabled automatic startup in task manager and then I activate it manually after I tell the camera to initiate communications.  I am using the ethernet interface from the 1DX and 1DX2 to a gigabit ethernet port on my HP Z station.

However I think with Win 10 you are always one flawed Microsoft patch away from new problems so I have no confidence that I won't have to deal with other connection issues in the future as this garbage OS continues to further decompose.

Rodger

I have never change the default startup settings, and have never experienced problems with updates "breaking" the EOS utility from automatically starting up when I connect a camera and switch it on.  I suspect that the EOS Utility Version Selector is not using Windows startup settings at all.  

[EDIT]. I have no way to either confirm or deny that suspicion other than my observations on half a dozen Windows PCs.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks this has solved my problem.
Announcements