cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility and Mode Dial

Davoud
Enthusiast

5D III, 6D. Can the function of the Mode Dial (P, Tv, Av, M, B, &c.) be changed from within EOS Utility version 3.4? It seems to me that I used to do this with earlier versions of EU, but it has been a couple of years since I used DPP or EU. The mode selected on the camera is shown, but it is grayed out in the software, not selectable as other camera settings are.

Thanks!

Davud Illig

24 REPLIES 24

You nearly paid the price for your own lack of vision and foresight.  It was a close one.

That's a bit melodramatic! If you think that exposure time in astrophotogrpahy is set purely on the basis of vision and foresight, you haven't done much astrophotography. The price wasn't a patient dead after a failed neurosurgery; it was a 30-second camera exposure that was not as good as it might have been. With the cost of film and developing these days, that's not a very steep price. And I didn't blame the camera. Please don't begin ad hominem attacks over a minor feature that I would like to see in Canon camera software.

@Davoud wrote:
Please don't begin ad hominem attacks over a minor feature that I would like to see in Canon camera software.

Excuse me, but I am not the one who started this ad hoinem thread of wishful thinking.  I am not the one who waxed melancholy about the inconvenience of having to climb a step ladder, either.  Good luck, with your future trials and tribulations. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"Purely hypothetical, as it seems you are correct and the Mode Dial cannot be controled remotely" 

Albert Einstein referred to such hypothetical ponderings as "thought experiments."

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I think you are out of luck, the manual says this:

"The settings that cannot be set in the capture window can be set by operating the camera"

I'm quite certain that you are correct and I was mistaken in thinking that this function could be chnged remotely. I note that CamRanger also cannot control the Mode Dial.

I think it's unfortunate that a remote-control device can't control certain important functions remotely, but that's life.

Thanks to all who replied.

David Illig

Announcements