cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility Not Working with MacOS Sierra

ossian
Contributor

I am using a beta version of the new MacOS Sierra. In the early stages of the beta, the EOS Utility worked fine but in the past 2 releases, it has failed.

I am using a Canon EOS 700D and v2.14 (2.14.10.2) of the utility. I aslo use an iMac 2009.

I have filed a bug report with Apple on this one, but there has been no action on their part yet to sort the issue. In any case, I suspect it may be left to Canon to update their software in line with the OS release.

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced the problem and if Canon were aware of it?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Well, I eventually found a Canon contact point for a software related issue. This is their response:

In response to your enquiry regarding software for your EOS 700D, we regret to inform you that the software for this operating system have not currently been developed.

Canon are due to be working on the development of software updates when the operating system has been officially released and will be available as soon as possible. Unfortunately we do not have a release date.

We therefore advise to consult our download centre, as they will be available to download and install from here, when released. Please find the link to this section below.

http://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos_700d.aspx?type=dow...)

So, there we go!

View solution in original post

I honestly can't believe you guys.

I had ignored the last post at the top of this page as it was a waste of time responding. Firstly, it was recommended that I file a Bug Report to Apple. I had already reported in the initial post that I had done that.

I also stated that I am part of the Appleseed programme with a 2 way communicatrion system in place WITH APPLE ENGINEERS to feed back on their seeds. I am not using the public release of the Beta.

I stated that Apple will take no responsibility for 3rd party software which you disagreed with claiming it was Apple's responsibility. My response from Canon aknowledges this.

As for buying Canon's newest product and making sure that software is compatible by investing in a Window's machine? I hope that was a joke!

The software worked for over a year with the Mac OS -through various updates, seeds, betas, whatever! It has only now become unusable. I run more than one partition on this machine and if I need to, I can dive back into the previous version of the OS loaded on another partition. That is inconvenient, but it is an option. Cameras, Mac OS, Photoshop, etc, etc. They have gone together for years and are unlikely to be abandoned by the many photographers now.

I am sorry that I did join this forum. I never expected it to be populated by trolls and fanatics.

Thank you for your help. I have my solution. Subscription to the topic closed!

View solution in original post

58 REPLIES 58

Hi all, with the EOS utility problem with OS X Sierra, just found that if i do not use the on-board USB's on my MAC then it seems to work fine. Quite by chance I connected the USB to a thunderbolt hub that i have (Startech) and the utility works absolutly fine. Use the on-board ones and it doesnt. So it might be possible to use any off-board USB.

Could this be relatd to the SIP and perhaps try disabling this via Terminal and try again?

USB over Thunderbolt? Now THAT's interesting. Have anyone else confirmed that/if this works? This is about to drive me nuts... 

If all you want to do is download images, the Mac "Image Caputure" program seems to work with the standard USB connection in newly loaded Sierra, from newly purchased M5.

----------------------------

Impeach !

I have a weird problem (but cant find how to post a new thread, so continue here instead).

I use macbook pro, os sierra hooked up to a eos 5d mk2, and set utility to take a photo every 4 minutes, and set number of shots to 70000 (yes,crazy i know, but am doing a one year time lapse project). BUT - it stops after 70 frames. This happened twice, then when set number of frames to 9999 instead, it stopped after 9 frames. Any ideas?

@AndersA wrote:

I have a weird problem (but cant find how to post a new thread, so continue here instead).

I use macbook pro, os sierra hooked up to a eos 5d mk2, and set utility to take a photo every 4 minutes, and set number of shots to 70000 (yes,crazy i know, but am doing a one year time lapse project). BUT - it stops after 70 frames. This happened twice, then when set number of frames to 9999 instead, it stopped after 9 frames. Any ideas?

You need to read the instruction manual.  70,000 photos is way more than what the camera can create unique names.  Try 9999 on for size, unless you come up with a custom naming convention.  Furthermore, the camera has a finite limite on how many files that it can put into one folder.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Is esteemed a euphemism for rude?

-------------------------------------

Impeach !

@DumpTrump wrote:

Is esteemed a euphemism for rude?

-------------------------------------

Impeach !

No. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Well, the camera creates new folders when it hits 9999. You might have a point there regarding the naming though. I´ve set utility so it doesn´t save anything on the cf-card, just on the computer so not sure if it still creates new folders or not. But if 9999 is the limit for interval shooting, how come it stops after 70 clicks when set to 70000 and after 9 frames when set to 9999?

An update: setting frame counter to 500 exposures seems to work. But if 999 is the limit, why is it even possible to put in higher numbers in utility?
Announcements