cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility Live View Blurry

Sirtristesse
Apprentice

Hi everyone, 

I've recently bought a Canon EOS 6D mark ii with a Canon EF 35mm F2.0 lens. I've tethered the camera and tried out the Live View option in EOS Utility 3. This works but I am presented with a horribly blurry live view. However, when I take the picture (used autofocus to quickly focus), the image is sharp. Is there a way to enhance the quality of the live view, or am I doomed to live with crappy live view in Utility?

Kind regards,

orange test sharper.jpg

13 REPLIES 13

This issue is simple, the resolution of the live view over USB is very low, this has become more evident now that Canon has put out EOS webcam utility, which presumably uses a similar live view resolution. From this page about a new special firmware for stop motion, it seems that the EOS R's live view normal resolution is 960 x 640 which is very low for manual focusing on a big screen. It may be a limitation of the hardware of these cameras, because with that firmware, increasing the resolution to 1920x1280 on the EOS R kills the HDMI output.

With the webcam utility, using an EOS R over USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5Gbps), the test here indicates that the stream resolution is just 576p (1024 x 576), the fps capped at 30 fps, and throughput about 15-16 megabytes per second. This is very well within USB 2.0 capabilities as well.

I can confirm my video on my GX7 Mark III is 1024x576 from the Beta webcam utility.   I'm not happy at all with the quality.  This beta webcam software allows you to use your high dollar camera like a $100 web cam.  No thanks.  My Logitech c922 looks better at 1920x1080.   

Come on Canon... Sony is whooping you on this front.

There seems to be some confusion going on here. The term " live streaming " normally refers to connecting a monitor to the HDMI socket on the camera which then directs the output normally seen on the camera LCD to the monitor. Presumably this is not what you are talking about.

EOS utility uses a direct USB connection to the camera, if live view is activated then whatever is shown on the LCD is duplicated onto your PC screen, there should not be any real difference in the quality between the LCD and the PC, BUT bear in mind that the PC screen is much larger so the view is magnified andquality may appear to be slightly lower.

Also what you are seeing is with the lens at full aperture and if the aperture closes down to take the shot then sharpness over the entire frame will be different so the final shot will appear different to the live view. If your camera has a DOF preview button try holding this down when you are looking at the live view image.

If you are still having problems then I would suggest you submit a screenshot of something where the sharpness can be determined because a chunk of orange peel just doesn't work, try a book or a box with some printing on it.

Luker
Apprentice

Answer! Posting for future users in need of help.

I had the exact same issue with the rebel t7. When the camera is connected to my laptop via USB the image was blurry and would not focus. The solution was to put the camera in video mode then half press the capture button to focus it. Hope this helps somebody out there!

Announcements