Laptop with Windows 10 Home with USB 3.1 port

Canon EOS 5D4 

Canon EOS 7D2

I installed latest versions of EOS utility

Laptop with USB 3.1:

EOS Utility is launched with Canon EOS 5D4 and I can download photos from it

Desktop with USB 3.1:

EOS Utility is launched with Canon EOS 7D2 and I can download photos

EOS Utility is launched with Canon EOS 5D4, but stops at Splash Screen - this is the problem I cannot solve

Desktop with  USB 2.0:

EOS Utility is launched with Canon EOS 5D4 and I can download photos

EOS Utility only does not work on the USB 3.1 port with my Canon EOS 5D4. 

I have read through dozens of forums. I uninstalled and re-installed EOS utlity sefveral times. I have upgraded to the latest firmware on the Canon EOS 5D4

I have checked the firmware of the USB ports. This is good and it shows it works well with EOS 7D2. 

I am a bit lost how to proceed. Does anyone have any suggestion?

16 REPLIES 16

Hi folks,

Unfortunately, it sounds like you're both running into the same bug affecting 5D mkIV cameras when connected to an AMD chipset via USB as I am. See this long-running thread - AMD are aware of the problem, believe it is an issue with the custom chip Canon uses for USB communication, and are trying to get traction with Canon to resolve the problem.

At present there doesn't seem to be anything we can do, however if you want to add additional impetus to getting this solved you might reach out to AMD to let them know you're also affected. At the least, adds more data. 

Hey Carel1, I can happily say that my issue was resolved after applying firmware version 1.5.0. According to the other thread it was fixed in firmware 1.3.3.

Edit: Sorry, got a little confused for a moment. Firmware version 1.5.0 is for the Canon R5. However I have confirmed that firmware 1.3.3 resolved the issue for my Canon 5D Mark IV as well.

dejanh
Apprentice

I wanted to add my voice to this as well.  I have the same problem, running an ASUS Zenith Extreme Alpha X399 board with a Threadripper 2950x.  Connected to a USB 3.1 port the EOS Utility 3 never launches and just hangs at the splash screen.  USB 2.0 works fine.

dejanh,

Have a look at this thread -> https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Camera-Software/EOS3-utility-USB-connection-fails-on-Win10-Ryzen-...

It appears the problem was resolved in firmware 1.3.3. I just tried now with firmware 1.5.0 (my last update was 1.3.1) and I no longer have the issue.

1.5.0 is for R5/R6 series. Despite some reports here that FW 1.3.3 worked for 5D MKIV it’s not true as clearly illustrated by my continued issue. I can bypass the problem by not going direct to the X399 motherboard and instead using the USB 3.0 port on my monitor, which then passes through to the mobo but to say that 1.3.3 resolves the issue is false. It resolves it in *some* combinations only. 

Ahh, that sucks.

1.3.3 resolved the issue for my 5D Mark IV as well. That sucks that you are continuing to have issues.

I know.  The problem is that Canon hasn't properly investigated this issue in order to resolve it.  Threadripper systems also make up a tiny fraction of AMD Ryzen platform systems out there.  Couple this with the fact that DSLRs are on their way out and I can see how Canon has little incentive to fix things.  Hopefully they address the issue in a future update, but at least I have a workaround for now.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements