cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility 3 errors

Nigel555
Contributor

Hi,

I'm running EOS Utility 3 on a Windows 10 system. I have two hard drives,C and D, and my picture files are stored on D. In EOS Utility, when I try to change the output folder from the default of D:\<my name which includes a space>\Pictures to D:\<my name which includes a space>\Pictures\DigitalCamera I am told that the filename isn't acceptable because it doesn't comply with the operating system rules, which is patently untrue. I can get round this by manually editing the config file, but that shouldn't be necessary, and indeed I had no problems on another machine where the relevant folder was on Y. Can anyone explain what's going on and how to fix it, please?

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If the combined path and filename does not exceed 255 characers, then this is an issue related to your instllation of Windows 10 and/or the platform where it is running.

Does your instalation meet Canon's system requirements to run EOS Utility 3?  Canon calls for a native Windows 10 OS, and an Intal chipset with [their] other apps.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Certainly well below 255 characters (and the same length as what worked before), and the PC is brand new with Windows 10 Home installed and an i7 processor.

@Nigel555 wrote:

Certainly well below 255 characters (and the same length as what worked before), and the PC is brand new with Windows 10 Home installed and an i7 processor.

The content and nature of the error messages suggest that they are coming from Windows 10, not the EOS Utility app.  Make sure you nailing scheme does not contain any illegal characters.  Any brackets characters are illegal, for example.

Without knowing the exact path name string, I cannot help you.  Contact Canon Support for further assistance.

Well, I located the folder via the "Browse" button, so it can't contain invalid characters - and if I edit the config file, then it uses that folder perfectly happily. The full name is simply D:\xxxxx xxxxx\Pictures\DigitalCamera (where my full name, just normal letters, is represented by xxxxx xxxxx). The error message is definitely from the program rather than Windows, although it is probably an error return from a Windows function call within it.

@Nigel555 wrote:

Well, I located the folder via the "Browse" button, so it can't contain invalid characters - and if I edit the config file, then it uses that folder perfectly happily. The full name is simply D:\xxxxx xxxxx\Pictures\DigitalCamera (where my full name, just normal letters, is represented by xxxxx xxxxx). The error message is definitely from the program rather than Windows, although it is probably an error return from a Windows function call within it.

Glad to hear you have resolved the issue.

It's not really a solution though, is it? The config file is well buried and undocumented.

After much playing around I finally worked it out. The EU3 expects the folder selected to begin with the drive letter in upper case; if (as in my case, for whatever reason) it's in lower case, then EU3 thinks it's an invalid drive, hence the error. So the solution is simple, but IMHO it's pretty poor software design as Windows accepts drive letters in either upper or lower case.

Announcements