cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility 3 'connection lost'

thanser
Contributor
Same problem documented elsewhere, using a 5D MK IV on a Dell Laptop, Windows 10, and i just did a restart after installing from ksdw32.9a-installer.exe

EOS Utility loses the camera connection, over and over and over. I'm using a brand new Tether Pro USB cable. 

I've tried shooting tethered after removing the CF card. Same problem.

I've tried disconnecting the power supply to the laptop. Same problem.

I've tried restarting the laptop after installing the EOS software. Same problem.

Once or twice I could get into Digital Photo Professional 4 and begin Remote Shooting, but it loses the connection to the camera after one exposure.

I've used this laptop with an MK III and the previous EOS utility application, no problems.

Any help?  What else can I try?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

thanser, 

We recommend using the EOS Utility version 3.10.00.  This can be downloaded from our web site, here

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Tim
Authority

Hello thanser, 

We are sorry to hear that this issue happens.  Would you mind letting the community know how long the cable is that you are using?  

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

The cable is a brand new 15’ Tether Pro. I have not been able to resolve this issue yet.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled, to no avail.

Digital Photo Professional keeps launching and trying to download images from the camera, acting very strangely, reopening multiple copies of the same application.

Occasionally I can get the utility to connect to my camera and after one exposure the connection is lost.

Is there a previous version of this software I can install for a 5D MK IV?

thanser, 

We recommend using the EOS Utility version 3.10.00.  This can be downloaded from our web site, here

Fixed it!

Thank you!

I am having the same problem using a canon 90D tethered with a 15' usb cable to a lenovo thinkpad running windows 10. Currently using EOS Utility 3.12.0.18.

Brand new camera and cable, and it disconnects every 2-5 shots. I am shooting full size raw and S1 jpgs. The JPG comes through and then it disconnects while trying to download the raw. The problem only occurs while it's downloading RAW photos. I've tried plugging it into different usb ports on the laptop, restarting the program and restarting the computer. Nothing makes a difference.

@Amandalplunkett wrote:

I am having the same problem using a canon 90D tethered with a 15' usb cable to a lenovo thinkpad running windows 10. Currently using EOS Utility 3.12.0.18.

Brand new camera and cable, and it disconnects every 2-5 shots. I am shooting full size raw and S1 jpgs. The JPG comes through and then it disconnects while trying to download the raw. The problem only occurs while it's downloading RAW photos. I've tried plugging it into different usb ports on the laptop, restarting the program and restarting the computer. Nothing makes a difference.

I cannot speak for your cable, but 15' is longer than normal.  It would need to be an active USB cable to support that length.

If you wish to do tethered shooting with Canon software and save to your local hard drive., I think the proper way to do it is with DPP4, which launches the EOS Utility 3 user interface as its' front end.

If you use the EOS Utility by itself, that merely allows for remote control, which saves files in the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Could Canon please tell me when 'sporadic loss of remote-tether' will be fixed? I lost count of how many times this happened yesterday. Not easy messing about when the camera is outside the window of a high-rise on the end of a lateral geared arm affixed to a heavy spherical head.

Connection dropping out arbitrarily during multi-row panoramas means the whole sequence is lost. Obviously while faffing about trying to work out why Canon remote dropped again all the clouds have since rolled by, along with anything else that can move - including the sun during a sunset!

My prime concern is safety. It's quite dangerous anyway even with safety precautions, but trying to fix things dangling out of a high-rise window - let alone the trepidation of changing lenses and filters - it's just an annoyance that puts a dampener on the day. I lost what could have been several great compositions during a striking sunset 😞

Canon 90D (also happens with 750D) - EOS Utility 3.12.0.18 - 2M USB cable - Windows 10 vs1909 build 18363.836 - Acer Swift 5 on AC power - camera on AC power and Battery (happens with both). Card in camera but saving to PC. Thanks.

i have a 200d eos canon, and ihave same problem please help me, connect and disconnect my eos 200d device with my pc.

im also having that problem, the cable im using is about 40 feet
Announcements