cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility 3 'connection lost'

joannerussell
Contributor

Hi all,

Been having an issue with EOS Utility 3 using the tethered live view. 

The camera I use is a (brand new) canon 5DS, computer software is Windows 10 (64 bit) tethered with a usb 3 lead and an ac adapter. The images are to be captured onto the computer's harddrive so there is no SD or CF card in the camera. As soon as EOS Utility's live view option is selected an error comes up saying 'connection lost'. I've tried changing the usb and the ac adaptor and I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software but still having the issue .

Does anyone know to solve this?

Best

5 REPLIES 5

William_N
Enthusiast

Hello joannerussell,

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your post!

The EOS 5DS should be able to use the Remote Live View shooting feature of EOS Utility. In this situation I recommend making sure the latest version of EOS Utility 3 (3.10.0) is installed.

Please click HERE to go to the software area for your camera. Scroll down the page, in the Drivers & Downloads section select your operating system from the drop down box, if it was not automatically detected.

Once the operating system is selected, click on the software section. The file you should download and install is "EOS Utility 3.10.0".

Please click on the red Select button next to this item, and then click the red download button. The download should begin automatically. The file may take some time to download so keep an eye on the download status in your web browser.

Once the file has downloaded, you should be able to double click it to open it, and then double click on the installer inside to install the updated software.

This community is designed for your fellow Canon owners to help each other out with any problems they may encounter. However, if this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help via Email HERE.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Like i said in my original post, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the EOS Utility software a few times and that hasn't worked.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@joannerussell wrote:

Hi all,

Been having an issue with EOS Utility 3 using the tethered live view. 

The camera I use is a (brand new) canon 5DS, computer software is Windows 10 (64 bit) tethered with a usb 3 lead and an ac adapter. The images are to be captured onto the computer's harddrive so there is no SD or CF card in the camera. As soon as EOS Utility's live view option is selected an error comes up saying 'connection lost'. I've tried changing the usb and the ac adaptor and I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software but still having the issue .

Does anyone know to solve this?

Best

That has all of the symptoms of a classic ground loop fault.  Either the camera or the PC has its’ USB port grounded improperly.  It could also be caused by the cable connecting signal ground to chassis ground.  When this is done, instead of the ground connection being made through the cable, it is made through the AC outlet.

Does the error still happen when the camera is on battery power, without the AC adapter?  If the problem goes away when only one device is on AC power, then the issue is almost certainly a ground loop fault.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for your suggestion regarding the power cable.  Mine only fails when on battery power.  How does one "properly ground" a usb port?  Mine is happening on a brand new MS Surface PRO 6.

Purchased this for the purpose of shooting tethered to my 5D MK IV (which I've done successfully with my laptop).   The tablet being lighter was appealing.   Installed the latested version of EOS software and after taking 1 photo I get an error "conncetion lost".  Have to close software with task manager; then try again...same error.  In reading someone said download an older version of the EOS 3.1.0; did that and it seemed to work; but I think during all that I hooked my tablet up to a power supply.  

Next day took my camera and tablet to a photo shoot; and first shot...."lost connection".  Tried 3 more times and with no luck.  So went back to using my laptop (with no issues).  

Any help or advice would be appreciated.  I'll try again to see if connected to a power supply solves it; if so; then what?

Thanks

thanser
Contributor

Same problem, using a 5D MK IV on a Dell Laptop, Windows 10, and i just did restart after installing from ksdw32.9a-installer.

EOS Utility loses the camera connection, over and over and over. I'm using a brand new Tether Pro USB cable. 

I've tried shooting tethered after removing the CF card. Same problem.

I've tried disconnecting the power supply to the laptop. Same problem.

I've tried restarting the laptop after installing the EOS software. Same problem.

Once or twice I could get into Digital Photo Professional 4 and begin Remote Shooting, but it loses the connection to the camera.

I've used this laptop with an MK III and the previous EOS utility application, no problems.

Any help?  What else can I try?

Thanks!

Announcements