cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility 3 (3.13.10() not recognizing R5 (1.1.1) on Mac Catalina (10.15.7) via USB

amballin
Apprentice

EOS Utility 3.13.10  on Mac Catalina 10.15.7  does not recognize R5 with firmware 1.1.1 via USB

Image capture sees the photos in the camera

Lightroom can see the photos in camera, tether mode does not work

WIFI connection seems to work

When using USB to connect  i have the camera in airplane mode,  power saving is off

I have also tried after resetting the communications settings and that did not help.

Also reinstalled the software and that did not work

Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks to all that have responded to this topic,  your suggestions have led to me to the solution!  

Here is what I have discovered:

1. WiFi must be disabled, that can be done by disabling or setting airplane mode on
  2. The EOS Utility that appears in the menu bar at the top of the Mac display has an option that should be set to
    • “Start EOS Utility automatically when the camera is connected” to make life easier.
    • Even when set to not start automatically you can start EOS Utility 3 manually and all works 
    • If you do not see the menu bar item you can find EOS Utility in Applications > Canon Utilities > EOS Utility

When setting this to “Start Automatically.. “ I paid closer attention to what started when I plugged in the camera into the USB port followed by turning on the camera. This is when I realized that another program prompted me to import photos, which I believe prevents the EOS Utility from seeing the camera.  Once I quit the offending program and tried to connect then everything worked properly for both settings of the EOS Utility in the menu bar!

The offending program was a NAS utility that keeps shared folder in sync;  when something is connected to the USB port it automatically prompts you to import photos.  Responding no does not seem to free up the camera for the EOS Utility, however, ImageCapture is able to view the camera photos.

Bottom line: turn off Wifi on the camera,  then watch for a program to automatically start when you turn on the USB connected camera.  If the started program is not the EOS Utility then stop that programming from running and try to connect again!

Edit:  I was able to connect to the camera via USB even with WiFi enabled and airplane mode off. This works for Catalina and Mojave 10.14.6 (Mojave works with NAS utility running, Catalina does not)

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Airplane mode is not the solution.  You need to switch the camera from Wi-Fi to USB mode.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Wadizzle is correct airplane mode is not the answer.  Only Wi-Fi has to be turned off when connecting to a PC/MAC using a cable.

warning.png

Canon is apparently serious about helping people not to damge their R5's

Included cable protector - cool

CP.png

EU Mac - Wired or Wireless:- See page 6

https://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/9/0300023299/16/eu-3-13-10-m-im-en.pdf

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I'm having the same issue with my R6. Disabling WiFi doesn't fix the problem.

As soon as I connect the USB cable, my camera displays the laptop icon and won't let me use the menus in any way. The EOS Utility 3 opens up on my Macbook. But all of the menu options in the EOS Utility are grayed out and so it's useless.

I can get a Wifi connection to work, but that's obviously dog slow compared to a direct USB transfer...

Update: So what I ended up doing was deleting the WiFi connection information from my camera and also quitting the Canon connection utility in the top toolbar of my Mac... then I was able to get a USB connection to work after restarting the EOS Utility. Seems like something is indeed getting confused between the WiFi and USB connections, which is silly.

@natedogg wrote:

Update: So what I ended up doing was deleting the WiFi connection information from my camera and also quitting the Canon connection utility in the top toolbar of my Mac... then I was able to get a USB connection to work after restarting the EOS Utility. Seems like something is indeed getting confused between the WiFi and USB connections, which is silly.

You don't seem to understand how it is supposed to work.  

You do not start the EOS Utility.  It should start up by itself when you turn on the camera AFTER you connect the cable.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@natedogg wrote:

You don't seem to understand how it is supposed to work.  

You do not start the EOS Utility.  It should start up by itself when you turn on the camera AFTER you connect the cable.

Here is what happens for me:

• First time I start the camera, after the cable is connected, the EOS Utility 3 starts. But all the options are grayed out.
  • Then I power cycle the camera, ance once the camera restarts, the EOS Utility options light up and I can download images, perform remote shooting, etc.

This works consistently and so I'm satisfied.

At least for me on my R6, enabiing / disabling WiFi seems irrelevant. At least, I am not explicitly disabling WiFi when I do this and have left WiFi enabled--although I have not explicitly made a connection to my computer over WiFi because when I turn the camera power on I can't access the menus if the USB cable is connected.

So I am having the same issue with my R5. It isn't recognized by my macbook or ipad when i try to find the camera through finder/files app or EOS Utility app. ImageCapture on the mac seems to be able to find it but only shows the images on the SD card which are .jpgs and nothing from the CF Express card. Lightroom on the iPad can also pull up the photos directly though it will crash sometimes. 

tested it out on a old windows 10 laptop and the EOS utility app is able to pick it up instantly and allows me to see the camera everytime. 

I think this is either a EOS utility for mac software issue or an all around Apple software issue.

Should note that it will randomly work a few times but there is no method I've tried to make this consistent. 

Was gonna let this slide and just buy a cf card reader but I did't spend $4k on camera for it to not even be able to do the simplest of tasks.  

@natedogg wrote:

As soon as I connect the USB cable, my camera displays the laptop icon and won't let me use the menus in any way. The EOS Utility 3 opens up on my Macbook. But all of the menu options in the EOS Utility are grayed out and so it's useless.

I can get a Wifi connection to work, but that's obviously dog slow compared to a direct USB transfer...

I am glad to see that you seem to have managed to get it working.  

Judging from the above comment in bold text, it sounds like you are connecting the camera while the power is still turn on.  That is a mistake.  Turn it off, connect the cable, and then turn it on.

Thanks, Waddizzle. I was having the same problems irrespective of whether I connected the USB cable with the camera on or off.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@natedogg wrote:

I am glad to see that you seem to have managed to get it working.  

Judging from the above comment in bold text, it sounds like you are connecting the camera while the power is still turn on.  That is a mistake.  Turn it off, connect the cable, and then turn it on.

Announcements