cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility 2 crashes on startup

rudibr
Contributor

Hi,

On my Windows 10 Pro computer, EOS Utility 2 crashes on startup, regardless of camera connected or not.

It has been working without an incident for the past half year, but now this malfunctioning.

I have tried uninstalling completely and installing "EOS Utility" from my CD and then upgrading to "EOS Utility 2", but the same happens, EOS Utility 2 crashes.

Any suggestions to what I could do?

Edit: I have a Canon 1000D (EOS Kiss F / EOS Rebel XS) so EOS Utility 3 is not an option.

From eventlog:

------------------------------------------------

- System

- Provider

[ Name] EOS Utility

- EventID 0

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 3

Task 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2017-09-19T07:20:25.672636100Z

EventRecordID 1590

Channel Application

Computer MaiaObs1

Security

- EventData

Configuration system failed to initialize at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.PrepareConfigSystem() at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.RefreshSection(String sectionName) at System.Configuration.ClientSettingsStore.ReadSettings(String sectionName, Boolean isUserScoped) at System.Configuration.LocalFileSettingsProvider.GetPropertyValues(SettingsContext context, SettingsPropertyCollection properties) at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertiesFromProvider(SettingsProvider provider) at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertyValueByName(String propertyName) at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName) at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.GetPropertyValue(String propertyName) at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName) at EOSUtility.AppSettings.get_FolderNameSeparator() at EOSUtility.RenamingService.RenamingFolder.updateFolderSeparator() at EOSUtility.RenamingService..ctor() at EOSUtility.RenameCountroller..ctor() at EOSUtility.MainMenu..ctor() at EOSUtility.Program.Main(String[] args)

------------------------------------------------

21 REPLIES 21

First google hit on "elitebook 8640p" is:

<removed per forum guidelines>

When I get home from work I will have a look inside the PC to see whats realy there 😉

Edit: url above removed 'per forum guidelines', here's a screenshot in stead:

googlesearch.png

Hi, back a home, here's sys info:

sysinfo.jpg

And again, I have installed DigiCamControl which also has a live feature. DigiCamControl works just fine - so I'm happy.

(But still wondering why EOSU doesn't work, but I guess that Canon's key compentences is in constructing cameras and not software).

I see.  Do you?  You have been posting one model number, while discussing a laptop with another model number.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yes Waddizzle, I do, oh - I am so sorry for the confusion.

My laptop is NOT a " HP EliteBook 8460p" as I wrote 09-28-2017 05:45 AM, but a "HP EliteBook 8460p".

I was at work at the time and didn't remember it correctly. Sorry for the confusion and inconvenience.

However, still strange that EOSU2 crashes.

@rudibr wrote:

My laptop is NOT a " HP EliteBook 8460p" as I wrote 09-28-2017 05:45 AM, but a "HP EliteBook 8460p".

I was at work at the time and didn't remember it correctly. Sorry for the confusion and inconvenience.

Well, I've read that post several times; and if there's a difference between those two model numbers, I guess my eyes aren't good enough to pick it up.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@rudibr wrote:

Well, I've read that post several times; and if there's a difference between those two model numbers, I guess my eyes aren't good enough to pick it up.

Yet another typo, Bob.  Take a look at the screen shot of the search screen.  Digits are transposed.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@rudibr wrote:

Hi Bob,

Thanks a lot for your help. Yes - I can not download EOSU3 since I do not have a s/n for teh required camera.

I tried calling support in Denmark, got a kind and helpfull guy that mailed me the following instructions:

--------------------------------------------------

Download and install EOS Utility for Windows 8.1:

https://www.canon.dk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos_1000d.aspx?type=soft...

Then upgrade with version for Windows 10:

https://www.canon.dk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos_1000d.aspx?type=soft...

Version:1.0 StartHTML:000000247 EndHTML:000002114 StartFragment:000001995 EndFragment:000002082 StartSelection:000001995 EndSelection:000002078 SourceURL:http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/software/message-id/4939

--------------------------------------------------

However the two links above results in identical installers (command line FC verifies that). I mailed back the support but got no answer and now I can not get in touch with them over the phone either...

This is really frustrating. Should I try to go to my local Canon dealer and hear if they will download EOSU3 for me?

Btw, I only need EOSU in order to be able to see a live view from the camera on my PC. I am an amateur astronomer and use the liveview when focusing my telescope in the observatory. Perhaps there are other ways of getting a liver view from the camera than EOSU?

I can't vouch for what they told you in Denmark; but the way I told you is how I installed EOSU on my Windows 10 Pro computer, so I know it works. You could try calling Canon UK or USA and see if they'll help you with the download. This is one case where I'd think that the usual jurisdictional buck-passing between Canon outposts in different countries wouldn't have to apply, because you're not asking for warranty repairs or something similar.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I have the Rebel t3i.  The EOS Utility was working fine with Window 10 Home until this latest round of updates.  Now the computer is not recognizing the camera when I connect it using the USB cable.  I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the the EOS Utility and that did not help. When I manually start the EOS utiliy, it wants to connect to the camera via wifi, but this is not possible with my camera. Wish I could just tell is to use EOS Utility 2 instead of 3... Any suggestions?

Hi, I'am from Ukraine, so first of all sorry for my bad English ))

I had same problem as rudibr

And I solved this problem.

Just remove all Canon aplications for your camera, download Canon CD old version 2.41 http://www.photoboothtechnology.com/download-eos-utility-full-version/ and install it, but DO NOT  install any updates then.

So, you will have old version of EOS Utility, NOT EOS Utility 2

This old version doesn't crash on startup and works fine with my Canon 600D or Rebel T3i 

Hope my advice will help someone.

rudibr
Contributor
I’ve found and installed DigiCamControl which works like a charm. It has the live-view function which is the only one I need.
Announcements