cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility 2 crashes on startup

rudibr
Contributor

Hi,

On my Windows 10 Pro computer, EOS Utility 2 crashes on startup, regardless of camera connected or not.

It has been working without an incident for the past half year, but now this malfunctioning.

I have tried uninstalling completely and installing "EOS Utility" from my CD and then upgrading to "EOS Utility 2", but the same happens, EOS Utility 2 crashes.

Any suggestions to what I could do?

Edit: I have a Canon 1000D (EOS Kiss F / EOS Rebel XS) so EOS Utility 3 is not an option.

From eventlog:

------------------------------------------------

- System

- Provider

[ Name] EOS Utility

- EventID 0

[ Qualifiers] 0

Level 3

Task 0

Keywords 0x80000000000000

- TimeCreated

[ SystemTime] 2017-09-19T07:20:25.672636100Z

EventRecordID 1590

Channel Application

Computer MaiaObs1

Security

- EventData

Configuration system failed to initialize at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.PrepareConfigSystem() at System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.RefreshSection(String sectionName) at System.Configuration.ClientSettingsStore.ReadSettings(String sectionName, Boolean isUserScoped) at System.Configuration.LocalFileSettingsProvider.GetPropertyValues(SettingsContext context, SettingsPropertyCollection properties) at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertiesFromProvider(SettingsProvider provider) at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertyValueByName(String propertyName) at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName) at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.GetPropertyValue(String propertyName) at System.Configuration.ApplicationSettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName) at EOSUtility.AppSettings.get_FolderNameSeparator() at EOSUtility.RenamingService.RenamingFolder.updateFolderSeparator() at EOSUtility.RenamingService..ctor() at EOSUtility.RenameCountroller..ctor() at EOSUtility.MainMenu..ctor() at EOSUtility.Program.Main(String[] args)

------------------------------------------------

21 REPLIES 21

This is going to sound odd, but I've seen it work.

Uninstall EOSU completely; then install the latest version of EOSU 3. Your camera probably can't use that version; but when EOSU 3 is installed, it also installs EOSU 2. Then when you start EOSU 3, it realizes that your camera needs EOSU 2 and sends you there instead. On a Windows 10 machine, that process seems to work better than trying to call up a bare installation of EOSU 2.

However, downloading EOSU 3 so that you can install it can present a challenge. If you haven't installed any of the new Canon software (EOSU 3, DPP 4) on the computer from which you're trying to do the download, you'll probably be asked for the serial number of a camera that can use that software. But your camera is so old that it probably can't use EOSU 3, so your serial number may not be accepted. In that case, you may have to call Canon Support to find out how to proceed. But once you get past the download, you should be fine. EOSU 3 needs a 64-bit computer, but I'm pretty sure Windows 10 Pro does as well, so I think it's safe to say that your computer is 64-bit.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hi Bob,

Thanks a lot for your help. Yes - I can not download EOSU3 since I do not have a s/n for teh required camera.

I tried calling support in Denmark, got a kind and helpfull guy that mailed me the following instructions:

--------------------------------------------------

Download and install EOS Utility for Windows 8.1:

https://www.canon.dk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos_1000d.aspx?type=soft...

Then upgrade with version for Windows 10:

https://www.canon.dk/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos_1000d.aspx?type=soft...

Version:1.0 StartHTML:000000247 EndHTML:000002114 StartFragment:000001995 EndFragment:000002082 StartSelection:000001995 EndSelection:000002078 SourceURL:http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/software/message-id/4939

--------------------------------------------------

However the two links above results in identical installers (command line FC verifies that). I mailed back the support but got no answer and now I can not get in touch with them over the phone either...

This is really frustrating. Should I try to go to my local Canon dealer and hear if they will download EOSU3 for me?

Btw, I only need EOSU in order to be able to see a live view from the camera on my PC. I am an amateur astronomer and use the liveview when focusing my telescope in the observatory. Perhaps there are other ways of getting a liver view from the camera than EOSU?

Let me guess.  You have an ASUS laptop.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

No - it's on a HP EliteBook 8460p I am experiencing the trouble.

@rudibr wrote:

Well, that's your problem right there.  I doubt if a Windows 8.1 Tablet computer from 2011 meets the hardware specifications to run any of the Canon software.

@Waddizzle wrote:

@rudibr wrote:

Well, that's your problem right there.  I doubt if a Windows 8.1 Tablet computer from 2011 meets the hardware specifications to run any of the Canon software.

According to his original post, he's running Windows 10 Pro.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@rudibr wrote:

According to his original post, he's running Windows 10 Pro.

According to HP, it uses an AMD processor and was sold for less than 200 bucks.  The problem is the hardware.

Yes, I run Windows 10 Pro.

And the comment >>According to HP, it uses an AMD processor and was sold for less than 200 bucks.  The problem is the hardware.<< by Waddizzle is rediculos. As software developer with 30 years of experience this would really suprise me if Canon's software developers have been so creative as to make EOSU and EOSU2 crash if the CPU cost less than 200 bucks!

And my HP Elitebook is with an Intel i5 four core CPU.

And Waddizzle, if you bother to read my thread from the beginning, You will find that EOSU2 was indeed running perfectly on my PC the past 6 month.

@rudibr wrote:

Yes, I run Windows 10 Pro.

And the comment >>According to HP, it uses an AMD processor and was sold for less than 200 bucks.  The problem is the hardware.<< by Waddizzle is rediculos. As software developer with 30 years of experience this would really suprise me if Canon's software developers have been so creative as to make EOSU and EOSU2 crash if the CPU cost less than 200 bucks!

And my HP Elitebook is with an Intel i5 four core CPU.

And Waddizzle, if you bother to read my thread from the beginning, You will find that EOSU2 was indeed running perfectly on my PC the past 6 month.

The model number you posted comes up as a tablet PC from 2011, running an AMD Atom CPU.  Google it.

Announcements