cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility 2 can't talk to EOS 70D after upgrade to Catalina

chwhitaker
Apprentice

EOS Utility 2 has always worked fine for me, providing an easy way to download new images from my 70D. But after upgrading from Mojave (macos 10.14.6) to Catalina (10.15.2), the app still launches, but when I connect the camera, I get 30 seconds or so of busy indicator, then "Failed to communicate with camera. Check connections." I can get images off the card by removing the card and using a card reader, but I'd like to continue using the Utility 2 app. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 13-Inch "Core i5" 2.3 Mid-2017

macos 10.15.2

EOS Utility 2 v. 2.14.31

EOS 70D

camera firmware 1.1.3.

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

This latest update from Apple has been a major headache for a great number of applications, not just Canon.  Keep checking for updates from Canon and Apple.  

If you know how to undo the latest Apple update, then do that.  Otherwise, you will have to suffer along with the rest of the pack.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Indeed EOS Utility2 - v2.14.31c Supported OS's:

macOS 10.14, macOS 10.13, macOS 10.12, OS X 10.11

EOS Utility3 doesn't support the 70D (currently) and may never.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

ssbean
Apprentice

This might help: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/canon-macos1015

Ran into the same problem today. This page shows limited functionality for 2.14.31.12 on MacOS 10.15 with a few workaround options. I was able to use Image Capture to pull images off the camera.

Many thanks. Image Capture works.

deontomsheck
Apprentice

Chwhitaker,

I am trying to find the download for my 70D to my Macbook Air (10.14.6) version.  Bought in 2019.

No CD rom in my macbook.  No Digital Software Disk as I bought my 70D used.

What is the answer?  Where is the Download?  Do I go ahead with EOS Utility 3.13.20 even though it's the wrong version?

Lost & frustrated on this!

@deontomsheck wrote:

Chwhitaker,

I am trying to find the download for my 70D to my Macbook Air (10.14.6) version.  Bought in 2019.

What is the answer?  Where is the Download?  Do I go ahead with EOS Utility 3.13.20 even though it's the wrong version?

Yes.  Installing EOS 3 may also install EOS 2 at the same time.  It does so under Windows.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@deontomsheck wrote:

Chwhitaker,

All the info you need is on the Canon support site.

Screenshot 2021-05-12 083659.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements