cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Utility 2 High CPU usage

balaka
Apprentice

Hi,

Using the EOS Utility with a 700d in Live View causes a constant CPU spike of over 150% in Activity Monitor

This in turn causes the internal fan to run continuosly, ruining the audio recording.

Seems like there's a huge memory leak in the software. I've updated to the latest version of the EOS Utility compatible with the 700d, closed all other applications etc and nothing works.

Is there a fix for this? I daresay this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find a satisfactory answer anywhere.

Specs:

EOS Utility (v2.14.10.2)

Canon 700d (firmware v1.1.4)

2012 Macbook Pro, 2.9GHz Intel Core i7, 8Gb Ram

OSX 10.11.2

11 REPLIES 11

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Balaka,

Thanks for posting.

Canon has not issued any bulletins or announcements, regarding memory leaks or similar issues with this software.  Depending on the operating system you're using, you may be able to update the software for your camera.  You may access the software by clicking here.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi,

I updated to v2.14.31, unfortunately it doesn't fix the problem. The CPU still maxes out at almost 200% (!!!) in Live Mode.

On a 2.9Ghz i7 processor, this is obscene.

I would advise checking your Windows settings for when it detects new media.  Disable the feature that automatically searches new storage media, like thumb drives, for media files.  Windows Media Player may have a similar setting, do disable that one, too.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

OSX 😉

Have already disabled automatic import settings in Photo.

I'm 99% sure it's a problem with The EOS Utility, as the CPU spiking only happens when switching to Live View. As soon as that window is closed, (but the utility is still open) the CPU goes back to normal.

Could be it just needs that much CPU to process the data. That is a lot of data coming down the pike.

Let's see, that is 1M pixels with 3 bytes per pixel at 30 frames a second is 90 MB/second.

Hello,

I also can confirm high CPU on Macbook Pro 250% while using EOS Utility 2 on Mac OS High Sierra.

Newest Software, newest Firmware.

I hope it will be fixed soon.

Thank you!

I have the same problem 
MAc Pro 2017 

2.9 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Radeon Pro 560 4096 MB

I noticed it also, it is 1000% a canon issue. I've done limited and bare OS installs and same thing happens. turning off live preview drops the cpu to a managable 20%  

Announcements