cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Remote for Windows Phone 8

lnewton64
Apprentice

Are there any plans on releasing a version of the EOS Remote software for Windows Phone 8 in the near future?

Thanks

162 REPLIES 162

I just registered to say that sucks.

Me to, you should absolutly have a App for the winsows plattform.

Please count me in - recent purchase of 70D only to see my wifi hopes dashed

To create an app on WP8, we need an sdk built for the ARM processor. So I asked Canon if they could compile me an ARM sdk. I got the answer: 

Dear Wouter,

Thank you for contacting DIDP Admin.

I’m afraid there is no SDK for ARM platform. We are providing SDK for Windows/Mac OS X platform only.
And we do not disclose our source code to any 3rd party developers.

Thank you for your understanding.

Canon DIDP Admin

So what can we do from here ?

•  deassemble the DLLs of Windows X86 back to "source" code  > this will take a lot of time, without known success rate. It is also against my philosopy to do such thing. (And those tools are quit expensive)
  • An aterative is sniffing the network traffic between a wireless app and the EOS device. If it is a straight forward protocol, it must be doable to make a map of the interface. 

Anyone else ideas ?

@antiwo wrote:

To create an app on WP8, we need an sdk built for the ARM processor. So I asked Canon if they could compile me an ARM sdk. I got the answer: 

Dear Wouter,

Thank you for contacting DIDP Admin.

I’m afraid there is no SDK for ARM platform. We are providing SDK for Windows/Mac OS X platform only.
And we do not disclose our source code to any 3rd party developers.

Thank you for your understanding.

Canon DIDP Admin

So what can we do from here ?

•  deassemble the DLLs of Windows X86 back to "source" code  > this will take a lot of time, without known success rate. It is also against my philosopy to do such thing. (And those tools are quit expensive)
  • An aterative is sniffing the network traffic between a wireless app and the EOS device. If it is a straight forward protocol, it must be doable to make a map of the interface. 

Anyone else ideas ?

They must have an ARM SDK of some sort for Android/iOS apps. It's just not publically available.

Disassembling DLLs might give insight into the API the SDK uses to communicate with the cameras. Looking into the Android app might also be of help since decompiled Java is easier to understand than x86 assembly.

The combination of that together with network sniffing seems to be the only option to piece back together the communication layer between the app and the camera. I've toyed with the idea of taking this up myself but I'm heavily time-constrained and it will not be quick and easy in any case.

If you do dare venture there, I ask of you to re-implement the layer as a WinRT component so it could easily be used in Windows 8 apps as well. And if you need help with the Windows side of things, I'm a Microsoft MVP in Windows Platform Development and can provide you with assistance, maybe even development with the application itself. Even though the lack of an app persuaded me to switch to Nikon and I expressed that concern in this thread earlier, an interesting twist of fate landed me a 70D anyways and I'm very interested in connecting it with my Windows Phone.

Thanks Fraza for the support and insight. I found yesterday (Through a companion called Oleg) some very interesing link: https://github.com/felis/PTP_2.0. I take a look there. The puzzle is coming toghether. Now I can start working 🙂

No problem. Keep us posted in how things work out with PTP 2.0

Some additional information that might help:

• if you contact your local Microsoft and tell them you're developing an app with that much reach, they might lend you Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 devices to test your application on. this is useful since running Windows Phone 8 emulator on a PC has specific hardware requirements and going low-level with wi-fi might not even be supported through an emulator.
  • to test your application on a device you must unlock it for development with a windows developer account. you can get such an account through a one-time fee of $19 at Windows Dev Center, or signing up for free at Windows App Studio.

Virindi, I just also registered to KUDOS you. What we can do now is to warn people with Windows phone about the danger of buying a "Canon Device" ..........

@protik wrote:
Virindi, I just also registered to KUDOS you. What we can do now is to warn people with Windows phone about the danger of buying a "Canon Device" ..........

Or we can warn people with Canon cameras not to buy a Windows phone.  Smiley Happy

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@amiima wrote:

Hey Bob,

are you somehow working for Canon?

Regards,
Alex

No.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements