cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Remote for Windows Phone 8

lnewton64
Apprentice

Are there any plans on releasing a version of the EOS Remote software for Windows Phone 8 in the near future?

Thanks

162 REPLIES 162

I suspect that this thread will continue, long after the Windows Phone has gone the way of the Canon M.  Smiley Happy

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I do not know how you became "Reputable Contributor" in this forum!!

Well, actually the Canon M has had decent success in Japan (where people appreciate small cameras), and was blessed as a result with a much improved M2, which has been one of the best-seller DSLRs since it launched one year ago.

@danielgr wrote:

Well, actually the Canon M has had decent success in Japan (where people appreciate small cameras), and was blessed as a result with a much improved M2, which has been one of the best-seller DSLRs since it launched one year ago.

The M2 is a DSLR??

Bob

Well, as I'm sure you know, the M2 is a "mirrorless" camera with a APS-C sensor.

So indeed, technically it is not a DSLR.

In Japan however people, shops, and makers alike use the english words without necessarily reflecting on their original meaning, and the M2 is typically listed among DSLRs (together with the rest of APS-C mirrorless cameras).

http://kakaku.com/camera/digital-slr-camera/

That has however little to do with the actual point in discussion, which was that when talking global brands and products, being insignificant on a given market (here the USA) doesn't mean the same applies world wide.

RobertTheFat wrote:

Why don't you guys get real? The Windows Phone's market penetration is down there with the Blackberry. If you were in charge of Canon's software development, would you squander any money on an app for it? I sure as hell wouldn't.

[...]

Or we can warn people with Canon cameras not to buy a Windows phone.  :smileyhappy:

[...]

I suspect that this thread will continue, long after the Windows Phone has gone the way of the Canon M.  Smiley Happy

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA

RobertTheFat,

You appear to be trolling in this thread.  Making a sarcastic comment indicating how you dislike Windows Phone every other time someone posts a call for support in this thread is not helpful in any way, shape or form.

If you are truly disinterested in the operating system, simply unsubscribe from this thread or cease posting.  Others are interested in the operating system even if it does not have the largest marketshare.  Not everyone needs to own what is the most popular.  However, Windows Phone does have a large userbase - even if that userbase is not as large as iOS/Android.  Personally, I do not want the security hot mess that is Android, nor the proprietary lockdown that is iOS.  Thus, that leaves Windows as the remaining choice - whose live tile interface I truly enjoy.

We will continue requesting Canon support Windows Phone and having to read your condescending remarks is something I think most in this thread can do without.  Thank you.

TechnoG
Apprentice

If nothing else... Canon's abysmal level of support for Windows Phone users has garnered them a good number of additional registrations to their 'Canon Community'. I too just registered so I could add my $0.02 for how much I was looking forward to using the EOS app with my brand new 70D. A flagship camera that must've taken millions in R&D to push the capabilities of the DSLR platform firmly into the videography market... and yet they can't seem to cough up a couple thousand bucks to hire a developer fresh out of school to spend a weekend porting the Android sources to Windows Phone using the published SDK.

Windows is still the most dominant OS platform worldwide, and a good many users are picking up the Windows Phone experience because of the cross-device experience that WIndows 8 (soon to be Windows 10) currently offers. If Canon thinks that this demand is just going to 'go away'... then they'll be making a much larger statement which could have a cumulative negative effect.

If Nikon releases a Windows Phone app before Canon, I do believe I'll consider selling my Cannon kit for a brand that is obviously more committed to keeping up with the market demand.

I very much love my Canon gear but I agree, if the wind seems to indicate that Canon's doesn't care much for windows and Nikon does I'd probably switch vendors.   Not a choice I would make lightly but one that I do have the means to make happen.

terman
Apprentice

I just bought the new EOS M3 and found that the EOS remote app is not available for WP 8.1.

We are lot of users that use Windows Phone today and I think it's a big drawback for the EOS serie if the customers must change their phones just to take advantage of the cameras possibilities.

So please make the app available for WP 8.1 ASAP.

Best Regards

A new CANON customer. (and old WP owner)

@terman wrote:

I just bought the new EOS M3 and found that the EOS remote app is not available for WP 8.1.

We are lot of users that use Windows Phone today and I think it's a big drawback for the EOS serie if the customers must change their phones just to take advantage of the cameras possibilities.

So please make the app available for WP 8.1 ASAP.

Best Regards

A new CANON customer. (and old WP owner)

I heard on the radio the other day that Microsoft is coming out with a new interface tool for app developers that makes a Windows Phone look like an Android. So maybe you guys will finally get your wish.

Bob
Announcements