cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Remote for Windows Phone 8

lnewton64
Apprentice

Are there any plans on releasing a version of the EOS Remote software for Windows Phone 8 in the near future?

Thanks

162 REPLIES 162

@amiima wrote:
Hey Bob,
Now I have imagine that you are, based on you last few statements here at this forum. I had the feeling like a canon employee was going the extra mile......
Tell your imagination not to run amok.

Funny not?
Regards,
Alex

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

You know, windows phone or no (and I'm not giving it up any time soon), Canon is not doing diddly in advancing their software. How long has it been that they've released their wifi feature?

And the reviews all said it has potential, but for the most part it's a pretty half-baked first attempt.

Since then, nothing. No updates, zip.

I would really like to see even a functioning tablet interface. I've got an iPad. But, I would buy an Android tablet if Canon released something as robust as DPP is tethered to my laptop only for Android. Thing is, a tethered laptop isn't portable. I don't want to take it to the beach, or on my Real Estate shoots. But a tablet? I could actually use this as a tool. So I've got a piece of software designed for an iphone that can sort of work on an ipad.

My windows phone would be something, anything, and quite handy. That's for certain. A tablet turns into a real tool.

Canon could do what our company does, hire a bunch of guys from India to crank it out in a couple of weeks. I'm positive what they want is for Nikon or Sony to release wifi on their cameras, and fully functional software on all mobile devices. Then act all surprised. Canon doesn't even seem to have the motivation of a shoestring startup.

Just like they're sitting on their RT technology, doing nothing to advance that. No triggers for 580 users, no 440EX-RT, nope. I've got my 600EX-RT's, and am happy I don't have any 580EX's. But I'm looking at companies like Yongnuo now who not only release clones, but clones with more functionality.

I'm fine with your decrepit sensors - but as soon as you introduce something that could advance the cameras, you get all gunshy and vanish into the woodwork.

Rest on your Laurels Canon, and smell the roses. And in the meantime I'll wait for some Chinese company to backward engineer your products and software. If I have to buy something that rips you off, steals your intellectual property - then so be it. I've got to think of myself as well. Just as I've found myself rooting for Sigma, I'm starting to do the same for anybody else willing to step up to the plate and put out a product that your customers want, whether you believe it or not.

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@protik wrote:
Virindi, I just also registered to KUDOS you. What we can do now is to warn people with Windows phone about the danger of buying a "Canon Device" ..........

Or we can warn people with Canon cameras not to buy a Windows phone.  Smiley Happy

And the arguments to do this are? Canon is to lazy to provide the app to mobile OS with less than idk 30% off all users? We have way more than 100 posts. What you guess how many percent of canon users with windows phone come here say - we also want an app. 10%? I guess less. A few thousand people are not enough? Not even up to give access to an SDK that the community could do the work for a big player?

We should warn people buying an expensive camera of an company which is fine if 80% of the customers are more or less happy. Maybe they should add a new slogan - 80% is more than enough

@Exe wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@protik wrote:
Virindi, I just also registered to KUDOS you. What we can do now is to warn people with Windows phone about the danger of buying a "Canon Device" ..........

Or we can warn people with Canon cameras not to buy a Windows phone.  Smiley Happy

And the arguments to do this are? Canon is to lazy to provide the app to mobile OS with less than idk 30% off all users? We have way more than 100 posts. What you guess how many percent of canon users with windows phone come here say - we also want an app. 10%? I guess less. A few thousand people are not enough? Not even up to give access to an SDK that the community could do the work for a big player?

We should warn people buying an expensive camera of an company which is fine if 80% of the customers are more or less happy. Maybe they should add a new slogan - 80% is more than enough

You guys have absolutely no sense of humor.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Humor requires it to be funny, it wasn't particularly

Mr. Bob, I am too moved by your sense of humour! I have a set of very simple question for you . I believe that you have sufficient common sense for answering these questions:
1) which one of these 2 are more expensive:
. a) windows phone , b) canon DSLR
2) Which one would a common person buy first :
a) smart phone, b) A DSLR (with Wi-Fi function)?
3) what will a common person think when he sees "connecting to a smartphone" function on the cover page of the wifi function manual?
a) it will work for my smartphone .
. b) may be not.....i am doubtful about the smartness of my smartphone! I must ask the General Manager of the Canon company whether mine is a smart one or not !

4) If a customer with a windows phone buys a Canon DSLR mistakenly and finds out that canon dies not take proper care of windows phone holders, what do you think he will do?
. a) praise the sense of humour of canon employees/well wishers & prepare to buy another phone as per their requirement.
. b) curse on their sense of humour after being unable to buy another new phone when needed very badly?

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@protik wrote:

Or we can warn Canon that if they don't have all-inclusive apps to make it easier to share to one's smartphone (no matter the operating system), one will be more inclined to put down (or not buy) the DSLR and simply use the smartphone instead - further eroding DSLR's marketshare to high-end smartphone cameras like the 41-megapixel Lumia 1020.

LUMIA 1020 - 41-megapixels, 1/1.5" sensor, Zeiss f/2.2 lens, optical image stabilization, xenon flash, led modeling/video light - $99 on contract

lumia1020.jpg

Optional camera grip for the 1020:

grip.jpg

Ironically, Canon decided not to support the smartphone a photography enthusiast would be most interested in due to its superlative imaging performance!

Yeah, really a bummer. The other question would be as there is no app planned directly from Canon's side, would there be any support for a third-party app? I would love to develop an app for that, however without knowing any interfaces nor API, it does not seem to be possible for now...

Microsoft released Developer package so dev can easily port their app from Android/iOS platform into Window. Hope someone in Canon shows some care.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide

I'm contemplating buying a 6D and having this app on Windows Phone would probably have sold me on it.  Add my vote for reconsidering.

Announcements