cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R EOS Utility WiFi bug

atis
Contributor

Hi,

I cannot connect or pair to EOS Utility (updated to latest version) via EOS R WiFi. I follow all the steps, connect to Cannon eos R WiFi but when I open EOS Utility and press 'Pairing over Wi-Fi/LAN' there is nothing to select. When I connect vie USB I got popup message- Camera model not recognized. But I can launch EOS Utility 3 manually and download photos. Before everything worked fine vie WiFi, then I updated EOS Utility and now it is not working. I have reset cameras pairing info but it does not help. EOS R firmware updated to latest. What could be the problem? I have spent countless hours trying to pair camera to PC..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Now they sent me these instructions. I did everything and it worked!!! After almost a year, I am able to connect to my camera vie WiFi!!! Heart

Please ensure none of the Canon application is running in the back ground, go in to your Windows Task Manager (press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, then click on More Details) and End Task on any Canon application including Canon EOS Utility & Canon DPP, now right click on the Windows Flag icon on the bottom left on your PC, click on RUN, then type ‘%localappdata%’ is in the dialogue box, on the new window, please click on Canon_Inc_IC folder and delete all the folders inside of that folder.

1. Type %localappdata% into the ‘RUN’ box then.  This will open file explorer at the local folder, C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local.
2. Open the sub folder "CANON_INC".
3. Delete all the folders inside “CANON_INC”.

Once the above is performed, please restart your PC and try installing Canon EOS Utility from Canon support website.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Nick2020
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi atis,

Thanks for checking in with us!

To help us get a better sense of what you're facing, please elaborate on the following:

• What operating system is your computer running?
  • With Wi-Fi turned off in the camera menu, are you able to turn on the camera, connect by USB, and have EOS Utility automatically recognize the camera and download images?
  • With Wi-Fi turned on and the camera disconnected by USB, are you able to select the camera as the Wi-Fi network on your computer? Does that network stay set after 2 minutes, or does it switch to something else?
  • If the camera stays active as the network for two minutes, what happens if you search for and launch EOS UTILITY 3 then press PAIRING OVER WI-FI/LAN?

We look forward to your reply.

Hi Nick,

- I am using:

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H1
Installed on ‎23/‎06/‎2020
OS build 19043.1288
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

- When EOS Utility is started and I conncet camera with wifi turned off in menu, some process is happening and then EOS Utility closes from task bar with no error. When I open it again, no error, and nothing in PAIRING OVER WI-FI/LAN list. Then I open manually EOS Utility 3 and can download photos.
-I am able to connect to cameras Wi-Fi, on my PC, network stay set after 2min, saying 'No internet, secured'. On Camera it says, 'EOS-2FA799 pairing (cennection) with the computer in progress. Start EOS Utility on the computer'
-When I start EOS UNILTY 3 all buttons are grayed out, when I launch EOS UTILITY and click PAIRING OVER WI-FI/LAN there are no cameras listed.
- Also, i cannot close EOS utility from taskbar with right mouse menu->Quit. I only can close when termintaing process in task manager
- I have reinstalled EOS utility pack several times with same results.

I had this same problem (camera list empty in the EOS Pairing Software window), although camera was successfully connected to WiFi.  I eventually found that EOS Utility sends SSDP broadcasts to port 1900 to find the cameras, but unfortunately EOS Webcam Utility also does.  When the camera response comes back, EOS Webcam Utility receives it and not EOS Utility.  I stopped the EWCPairingService and EWCService services used by EOS WebCam Utility, and restarted EOS Utility, and the camera list populated normally.   So, if you have installed EOS Webcam Utility, this may be causing your problem as well.

Canon support sent me this:

Thank you for your request and for contacting Canon. We are sorry to learn that you have an issue with your Canon EOS R camera.
Please reset your camera to factory settings MENU > Spanner page 6 > Clear all camera settings > ok

And of course it did not work. It is clearly a bug in EOS Utility.. 

Now they sent me these instructions. I did everything and it worked!!! After almost a year, I am able to connect to my camera vie WiFi!!! Heart

Please ensure none of the Canon application is running in the back ground, go in to your Windows Task Manager (press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, then click on More Details) and End Task on any Canon application including Canon EOS Utility & Canon DPP, now right click on the Windows Flag icon on the bottom left on your PC, click on RUN, then type ‘%localappdata%’ is in the dialogue box, on the new window, please click on Canon_Inc_IC folder and delete all the folders inside of that folder.

1. Type %localappdata% into the ‘RUN’ box then.  This will open file explorer at the local folder, C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local.
2. Open the sub folder "CANON_INC".
3. Delete all the folders inside “CANON_INC”.

Once the above is performed, please restart your PC and try installing Canon EOS Utility from Canon support website.

Those instructions did not work for me. Also the Canon EOS utility constantly says a new version is available for download even when it's using the latest version.

@AMDPhreak,

Welcome to the forums.  Since this thread is 2 years old, its likely your hardware and software environment is completely different.  In these cases, we typically recommend that you start a new thread.  Please include your camera model,  the OS you are running (version, build).  I suspect windows if you are an AMD fan.  What version of the EOS Utility are do you have installed?  Please be specific.  Its also helpful to provide the steps you perform to reproduce the behavior, error messages received (if applicable) and anything else you believe might be relevant.  3rd party anti-virus software if it has a firewall can sometimes block wireless communication.  Not sure if this applies.  It will be easier for us to help if we are starting from a clean slate.  It also gives your issue the visibility it deserves.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Sure no problem I can start a new thread. I'll see if I can tag you and answer your questions there.

Cleaning the profile didn't help.
Smartphones see the device. I switch to the PC option - no sound. The firewall is turned off.
Sometimes (once a week) the device is miraculously visible.
Well, this is Canon. They always had fun with software (printers, scanners, photographic equipment). They have had this one for a long time. Since the mid-90s.
They can only offer to reset all settings and update the software. Even update Windows.
Okay, they don’t suggest doing disk defragmentation)
The problem is both on Mac OS and Windows. Connection is random. You can turn off sleep on the box - it doesn’t matter.
I just resigned myself. I spend a week collecting photos on a card and only then uploading what I need to my computer. I somehow don’t want to poke the connectors hundreds of times (every day etc). 21st century...
If you photographed something, connect it via wire, or look for a card reader. These points wear out (contacts).
This is a huge minus for Canon.
I wrote to them in support, explaining that they have the latest software, both on the box and their wonderful eos utilities. The answer is silence from year to year.

Announcements