cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M - Remote Shooting

bpapadopoulos
Apprentice

Hello,

How (or when) will the EOS M be able to perform Remote Shooting, like the EOS 1100D (and past models) did?

I've been using a range of EOS cameras with the help of their SDK and C# and the results were astonishing.

I would like to do the same with the EOS M, but so far I haven't figured a way to achive that.

Could someone please provide some information?

Thank you in advance.

Regards

Bill PAPADOPOULOS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

There isn't going to be much info on this Canon model as it was not well recieved and has been discontinued.  You may be able to find a specific M web site that can help you more.  But further developments on this line is not likely.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

There isn't going to be much info on this Canon model as it was not well recieved and has been discontinued.  You may be able to find a specific M web site that can help you more.  But further developments on this line is not likely.

EB

Unfortunatelly you are correct.

As I found out, eventhough its a good camera, sadly it lacks the ability of remote controlling.

Thank you for replying.

Regards

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Canon never really explained what did in the M; it simply disappeared from the product line. My guess is that the insoluble problem was its power consumption. Even without an eye-level EVF, an omission that robbed it of any credibility as a serious camera, the M went through batteries faster than even a mediocre DSLR. It's too bad, because its APS-C sensor looked like a major advancement at the time. I think most people still see mirrorless as the wave of the future, but it looks as though that wave may have to wait for another generation of improvement in battery technology.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Bob in Boston,

For what ever reason(s), it didn't sell.  And, if a product doesn't sell it will not be in the line for long.  IMHO, the mirrorless cameras are just glorified cell phones.  Canon's was not ready for 'prime time'.

Like cell phones they all suffer from smear because it is very difficult to turn the sensor on and off as quickly as needed for good sharp high QA photos.

I have no doubt they will get there some day maybe on the next release.  But I doubt Canon will have another one until they figure it out this time.

EB

Regarding the EOS-M line being discontinued...  This is only true in the United States.  In Japan, they have released the EOS-M2 and two new lenses in the EF-M line.  They haven't given up, they just decided to pull them from the US market.  Hopefully this will be temporary.

edfadude
Apprentice

Can you elaborate on what you mean by remote shooting.  I have an EOS-M and it works fine with the handheld IR remote controller.

Remote shooting is a bit more than just a remote (cable or wireless) shutter release. EOS DSLRs (and back in the day, PowerShot cameras) let you set shutter speed, aperture, etc. from your computer (and cell phone nowadays) and view the captured image on the big screen.. Thanks to Live View, you can also see what your camera actually has in the field of view, and take the picture based on what's there, not on what you hope is there because it looks like it should be.

An EOS M variant, with remote capabilities like my DSLRs have, would be the ideal solution for a host of situations I have that need remote shooting capabilities.

Jon
Announcements