cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 3.11.0 Keeps dropping connection to Windows 10 PC

Infulfx
Apprentice

I have Canon 77D that has AC power connected and USB 3.0 connection to Windows 10 PC. I can take pictures using remote option but after about 3 to 5 minutes, i get a lost connection message. I have to close out of the EOS utility and then reconnect the USB to the PC to get the connection again. It's keeps happening after a delay if i don't take pictures. 

I uninstalled and reinstalled the EOS utility. I tried different USB ports on the PC. I have 2 computers and 2 of the same Canon 77D that using the same setup and having problems on both. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks for all the responses but issue turns out to be internal Virus and DLP programs. Both are causing the issue. It only works once I removed both programs. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

@Infulfx wrote:

I have Canon 77D that has AC power connected and USB 3.0 connection to Windows 10 PC. I can take pictures using remote option but after about 3 to 5 minutes, i get a lost connection message. I have to close out of the EOS utility and then reconnect the USB to the PC to get the connection again. It's keeps happening after a delay if i don't take pictures. 

I uninstalled and reinstalled the EOS utility. I tried different USB ports on the PC. I have 2 computers and 2 of the same Canon 77D that using the same setup and having problems on both. 

There's a power saving option, which I believe is on by default, that causes the camera to go into a sleep mode after a specified period of inactivity. Could that be what's causing you to lose the connection? It should be easy enough to test.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

This is for a different model, but you should have a screen similar to this that Bob is refering to:

Annotation 2020-01-02 174104.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I haven't check for that but I'll give that a try. Thanks

I just check both cameras and power-saving setting has been disabled. 

@Infulfx wrote:

I just check both cameras and power-saving setting has been disabled. 

Then it is likely that it is your PC disabling the USB port after a period of inactivity.  

Have you ever heard Windows make a "beepity boppity boop" type of sound when something is plugged into the USB port?  You can also hear a different sound when you suddenly unplug something from the USB port.  Pay attention to your PC to see if it is making these sounds.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-prevent-windows-10-turning-usb-devices

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

That's a bit puzzling, because it suggests that the camera's USB interface is being powered from the computer. I would have thought that it would be powered by the camera's battery.

But if it is being powered from the computer, you should be able to minimize the draw on a laptop's battery by turning off "USB selective suspend" only in the power plan that's used while the laptop is on battery power. (Of course that's helpful only if the laptop will be on AC power while the camera is connected.)

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

That's a bit puzzling, because it suggests that the camera's USB interface is being powered from the computer. I would have thought that it would be powered by the camera's battery.

But if it is being powered from the computer, you should be able to minimize the draw on a laptop's battery by turning off "USB selective suspend" only in the power plan that's used while the laptop is on battery power. (Of course that's helpful only if the laptop will be on AC power while the camera is connected.)

Of course, we can only speculate on what exactly is happening.

I do not think the camera is being powered by the USB port.  One could easily pull the battery to test that hypothesis.  My gut says it won't work.  I do not think current draw is the only criteria used by Windows to determine if a connected device can be idled.  

I suspect lack of data activity probably plays a primary role.  I have downloaded thousands of photos in one shot using them EOSU.  I do not recall how long the downloads take, but let's say it was more than 5-10 minutes. So the cameras can keep a port active for long periods of time.  A card reader may have transferred files faster, but I can sort and rename the files, as well create new custom folder names during the download.

But there is something in the camera's USB port electronics that seems like it is dependent on an active USB port, because USB port expander tend to not agree with Canon cameras.  These expanders seem to come up short on operating voltages, or some other factor that Canon bodies do not llike.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for all the responses but issue turns out to be internal Virus and DLP programs. Both are causing the issue. It only works once I removed both programs. 

Announcements