cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF 8-15mm f/4l 2 USM fisheye isn't registering in DPP 4.1.50. The software control panel says Lens

scottio
Apprentice

I use a Canon 6D with a EF 8-15mm f/4l  2 USM fisheye isn't registering in Digital Photo Professional 4.1.50. This lens profile isn't listed on the lens database either. The software control panel states Lens Data:Not available but the RAW CR2 file clearly shows the Canon lens used in the EXIF data. The lans isn't listed in the add/remove diolog either. Has anyone had this problem.Capture.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

tomsgr
Apprentice

It is possible to "fool" DPP to make it able to do some aberration and distortion correction (tried with version 3.10, not sure if it works with 4.xxx). There is an EXIFTOOL [link removed per forum guidelines] which can modify any EXIF information, including lens.
Since I shoot with non-Canon branded lens, I often have to do this. I'm still experimenting with parameters, but this worked so far.
After puting exiftool.exe in windows directory, copy this line
exiftool -FocalLength=7 -LongFocal=55 -ShortFocal=17 -LensType="Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM D:\Your_Photo_Directory
(change D:\Your_Photo_Directory to where your RAW photos are)

and paste in in Windows Start-run field and press enter. Or run CMD and left-click-paste and enter (this is better as you can see if any error happens).
Exif information will be changed and original backup file(s) will be created. After that open your RAW (CR2) file in DPP, and watch if you can correct distortion and aberration. Probably playing with parameters FocalLength, LongFocal and ShortFocal may give any better results.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I am not a DPP fan and I don't know why Canon has most of its lenses listed and a few not.  But the 8-15mm is designed to introduce distortion and maybe they guess folks don't want to correct it.  The mere fact it can reproduce more than the eye can see may be the reason. And how do you correct a fisheye?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

That's a great assumption. I currently use it for immersive photography Real Estate projects in conjuntion with virtual tour defishing software butit'd be nice to be able to defish the center of the shot w/o pulling out the PTGUI software solution that I have to pay for every few years. Changing a fisheye image to a rectilinear one always have tradeoffs.

The manual claims it is supported, but I can't register it either. (1D Mark IV and Rebel T5i).

I suspect that all it will do is light falloff and chromatic aberation. Defishing is contrary to the purpose of the lens, so i wouldn't expect Canon to support that action.

Capture.JPG

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Maybe they intend to add it later.  Maybe they intend to add all their lenses at some time?

EB

tomsgr
Apprentice

It is possible to "fool" DPP to make it able to do some aberration and distortion correction (tried with version 3.10, not sure if it works with 4.xxx). There is an EXIFTOOL [link removed per forum guidelines] which can modify any EXIF information, including lens.
Since I shoot with non-Canon branded lens, I often have to do this. I'm still experimenting with parameters, but this worked so far.
After puting exiftool.exe in windows directory, copy this line
exiftool -FocalLength=7 -LongFocal=55 -ShortFocal=17 -LensType="Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM D:\Your_Photo_Directory
(change D:\Your_Photo_Directory to where your RAW photos are)

and paste in in Windows Start-run field and press enter. Or run CMD and left-click-paste and enter (this is better as you can see if any error happens).
Exif information will be changed and original backup file(s) will be created. After that open your RAW (CR2) file in DPP, and watch if you can correct distortion and aberration. Probably playing with parameters FocalLength, LongFocal and ShortFocal may give any better results.

Download the latest version of DPP. It has corrections for 8-15mm lens and also allows for some artistic "defishing".

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Using a different lens' data may not be helpful.  In fact it could make things worse.  The data is not 17mm or 18mm specific it is lens specific.  This is a solution you should not pursue. Poor advice.  Smiley Sad

EB

Try to see if you can download the lens correction into the camera.  That download comes direct from Canon.  Maybe, just maybe, DPP might hitch a ride on the download.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements