cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the iApp Canon Connect Shoot RAW?

Grazie
Rising Star

I’m running the SX60hs. I know the iApp won’t download RAW, but will it allow shooting RAW?

I've setup my SX60 with Custom Settings to C2 and checked that it’s shooting fine without the Connect iApp and it’s shooting RAW. I can even check in the iApp that there are RAW and JPEG on the card. So the iApp registers I’ve got previously, manually shot RAW. I know all the WiFi connections are working, oh yes. But, in all that’s sane, will somebody tell me that this iApp can or can’t Capture RAW?

Thank so much. Smiley Happy

11 REPLIES 11

Grazie
Rising Star

This for my new SX60hs

Until a Canon Representative can confirm or deny, presently the Canon Connect iApp whilst being able to connect via WiFi to register that previously shot RAW footage, created WITHOUT the Canon Connect WiFi Live Capture, can be viewed as being RAW. However, using the Canon Connect for shooting will NOT capture RAW. In fact, the Canon Connect Capture Shooting Feature will ONLY capture JPEG and ONLY in PROGRAM Mode. It will ignore any ISO or WB Settings with ISO defaulted to 1000, and the WB defaulted to AutoWB.

I’ve experimented with using C2 and applied my own settings leaving the Camera on C2 whilst I fire-up the Canon Connect iApp and captured shots only to see that NONE of my settings had been actioned. The Canon iApp totally ignores my settings and again uses some “P” Setting of JPEG, AWB and ISO 1000.

Any Canon Representatives offering advice or an SX User who’s had a better experience than I, please chip in.

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Grazie,

Thank you for posting.

While your camera still shoots in RAW when using the Camera Connect App, because the app cannot read RAW images, it receives JPG images from your camera. The RAW images are stored on the memory card in your camera.

The RAW images, stored on your camera still contain all decision data, so your settings are retained in the RAW image files.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

@Richard wrote:

The RAW images are stored on the memory card in your camera.

The RAW images, stored on your camera still contain all decision data, so your settings are retained in the RAW image files.

Firstly, Richard, thanks for taking the time out to respond. Secondly, no. Whilst I can successfully capture RAW manually, without the use of the Canon Connect WiFi, the Canon Connect Live Shooting will not take/store the RAW, nor my other settings.

Richard I’ve just double, rechecked on the Screen on my SX60HS that the captures taken using the Canon Connect Live Shooting do not Capture RAW. To assist us I’ve taken snap of the Screen for you. The Camera was set for RAW and definitely not AWB. I never shoot AWB 😉. Also, I don’t know why my ISO should be 1000. And why “P” mode? Here’s the Screen Grab:

5DE45A88-8310-4BDE-9F6F-9EF8C8BE0B44.jpeg

If I’ve done something dumb, please advise?

Whether the image is RAW or not has nothing to do with the AWB setting.

@kvbarkley wrote:

Whether the image is RAW or not has nothing to do with the AWB setting.

Agreed. But I don’t want it. And yet it is a setting I don’t wish, nor an ISO of 1000 nor P mode. From what I’m seeing this software will stubbornly apply those settings regardless of my wishes.

I’m supplying my evidence-based results hoping somebody, also with an SX60hs, can either confirm or deny the results I’m getting and to learn if there is a solution.

Hello, Grazie!

We recommend reaching out to support for one-on-one assistance with this. Our US-based team can be reached at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666).

If you're outside the USA, you'll need to reach out to support in your country/region by clicking HERE

@Stephen wrote:

If you're outside the USA, you'll need to reach out to support in your country/region by clicking HERE

Hello Stephen.

Your “HERE” Link isn’t working for me. This is what I get:

6430A2D1-6D73-4444-86FB-F61486F7CDC2.jpeg

Sorry about that, it was an HTML error. I've fixed it! 

For reference, here's the link: https://global.canon/en/support/

Stephen thank you.

What I’d dearly like to here if this RAW Shooting is supposed to happen with the Live Recording option through WiFi? If somebody knows that that it does or doesn’t would be a result.

Announcements