cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does new the new BETA Webcam Software allow for battery charging? (G7X III Specifically)

DrawORdrumLIVE
Contributor

I'm getting the video feed just fine, but the battery is being used and depleted.

I'm using USB3 to USBC.

Thank you.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Stephen

No, you can't charge via USB and use data at the same time. You'd need to use the battery replacement AC adapter kit (AC Adapter Kit ACK-DC110), if your stream session lasts longer than the battery does. 

View solution in original post

So it doesnt charge when you use USB-A to USB-C, but when I use a USB-C to USB-C cable it charges with a powerblock that supports Power Delivery (PD).

So if my computer has a PD USB-C port on it, I should be able to charge the camera straight from my USB-C port using a USB-C to USB-C cable.   But then the question is, does the EOS Beta utility work?

I guess I'll order a thunderbolt cable and sort it out soon.  If anyone that already has a thunderbolt (usb-c to usb-c style) cable to try this, that would be awesome.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

I'm happy with the G7, but I do wish my motherboards USB C provided enough power to charge it also.
That will be something I look forward when I upgrade my PC or get a latptop.

My asrock x470 provides sufficient power over USB-C to keep this 100% charged 24/7. But now thats not the issue. The real issue is the EOS Beta webcam software only sends 1024x576 resolution, and the picture looks terrible. I hooked my G7X M3 to a USB capture stick, and I'm sending clean HDMI video at 1920x1080 to my OBS now, and its beautiful. And this way, my charging port is freed up for straight charging via a PD block or via my USB-C on PC if I want. Both work fine. I cant recommend the EOS Beta webcam utility until it at least outputs 1920x1080 resolution.

I got the camera to work with unlimited power by using USB C to USB C cable to a powered USB Dock. The battery power light comes on on the camera and everything!

Announcements