Canon Community Canon Community

Valued Contributor

Re: Do you prefer DPP or Lightroom

[ Edited ]

LR - The current perpetual release doesn't support my equpment. Hence the reason I am going with PhotoLab.  I havent used LR or Photoshop for years.  I do not dispute their being an industry leader.  I liked them both when I used it previously, but I'm not going to rent their software.  I don't care what they deciide to do (remain subscription based or bring the perpetual license back).  This could change, maybe it will.  

If I ever dump my Sigma gear and go "all Canon", I'd stick with stick with DPP. For the time being, I like my Sigma Lenses and the photos I can take with them.  PhotoLab is a cost effective alternative for me regardless of the learning curve.  I'm an IT professional and have to become a "power user" on different types / versions of software all the time.  Its going to solve a problem for me (3rd party lens correction) which I'm lacking in DPP.  Cost to value ratio is there.  So I'm ok with it.  I am also ok with people choosing to stick with LR if it meets their needs.        

Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2 (f/w 1.0.4) ~16-35mm f2.8L II, 50 f1.8 STM, 85 prime USM, 70-200 f2.8L IS II ~70-300 USM II ~Sigma 24-70 f2.8 Art (f/w 2.01)
~Sigma 150-600 C + TC1401 1.4x (f/w 1.03) ~Speedlite 430 EX II ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~Windows10 Pro nVidia GPU 1803
Super Contributor

While the Photolab product itself seemed pretty good from my use of it during the trial period, I found the instructional webinars posted on their site to be horrible. The recording quality sounded like a guy was talking on a cell phone that was periodically breaking up, coupled with the fact that it is a French company, which featured Germans conducting the webinar. Their English skills were terrible and the printed documentation seemed to ramble on also as it attempted to make its points. I quickly determined that I wanted no parts of that. Also, the user interface is overloaded to the gills with umpteen controls with poor documentation. So Photolab was far from my cup of tea. YMMV.

Honored Contributor

@shadowsports wrote:

LR - The current perpetual release doesn't support my equpment. Hence the reason I am going with PhotoLab.  I havent used LR or Photoshop for years.  I do not dispute their being an industry leader.  I liked them both when I used it previously, but I'm not going to rent their software.  I don't care what they deciide to do (remain subscription based or bring the perpetual license back).  This could change, maybe it will.  

If I ever dump my Sigma gear and go "all Canon", I'd stick with stick with DPP. For the time being, I like my Sigma Lenses and the photos I can take with them.  PhotoLab is a cost effective alternative for me regardless of the learning curve.  I'm an IT professional and have to become a "power user" on different types / versions of software all the time.  Its going to solve a problem for me (3rd party lens correction) which I'm lacking in DPP.  Cost to value ratio is there.  So I'm ok with it.  I am also ok with people choosing to stick with LR if it meets their needs.        

I have LR6 perpetual license, and it supports my 6D2, along with all of the lenses you have listed.  I have them all, except for the Sigma 24-70, which I am sure is supported as well.

What piece is not supported?  The camera’s RAW format?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes.  I don't want to bother with a splintered solution. 

Maybe I am reading the support page incorrectly?

SIGMA 24-70mm F2.8 DG OS HSM A017Canon7.0/10.0

This says I need LR v7.0.  The perpetual stops at 6.14 right?

And second..  the camera RAW format.  I mentioned this before.  You have to download the RAW converter and import in.  Or I just buy DxO and everything is there.  And next year when the 5D5 or 4D1 with an articulating screen and whatever else Canon decicdes ro give us is released...  Hopefully, I'll be ready. 

What would really be nice is if Canon offered 3rd party lens correction as an add-on in DPP.  I'd even pay for it. 

Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2 (f/w 1.0.4) ~16-35mm f2.8L II, 50 f1.8 STM, 85 prime USM, 70-200 f2.8L IS II ~70-300 USM II ~Sigma 24-70 f2.8 Art (f/w 2.01)
~Sigma 150-600 C + TC1401 1.4x (f/w 1.03) ~Speedlite 430 EX II ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~Windows10 Pro nVidia GPU 1803
Honored Contributor

@shadowsports wrote:

Yes.  I don't want to bother with a splintered solution. 

Maybe I am reading the support page incorrectly?

SIGMA 24-70mm F2.8 DG OS HSM A017Canon7.0/10.0

This says I need LR v7.0.  The perpetual stops at 6.14 right?

And second..  the camera RAW format.  I mentioned this before.  You have to download the RAW converter and import in.  Or I just buy DxO and everything is there.  And next year when the 5D5 or 4D1 with an articulating screen and whatever else Canon decicdes ro give us is released...  Hopefully, I'll be ready. 

What would really be nice is if Canon offered 3rd party lens correction as an add-on in DPP.  I'd even pay for it. 

Are you saying that the Sigma 24-70 is what is not supported?  The perpetual license supports all of your gear.  I am not worried about it working with a camera that I have not bought yet.    

I do not have to download the DNG converter, not unless you mean updating ACR, which is something you would have to do if you were running a subscription license, anyway.  That is how they add compatibility for new gear.  I just download from the camera, and then Import into LR6.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Esteemed Contributor

Do you really think the same thing won't happen when the new version of DxO Photlab comes out. Here is a cut from the DxO site saying whats new with PhotoLab (vs earlier version of DxO)

"New cameras, and even drones!

DxO PhotoLab 1.1 supports four new cameras and two drones: Canon EOS M100, Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark III, Olympus Tough TG-5, Sony RX10 IV, DJI Mavic PRO and DJI Phantom 4 PRO"

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LRCC
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

John,

DxO has a tool for checking lens and body compatibility tool like Adobe, except with it, my gear is supported.  I have already checked.  My current gear is supported the the current release v1.1.2.  v2.0 gets released next month.  It will include full NIX integration.  They acquired these from Google late last year and have fully reverse engineered the tools (as promised) and integrated into their product.  Optics Pro v11.0 is now PhotoLab v1.x.  There will be no v12.

Rick
Bay Area - CA