cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you prefer DPP or Lightroom

John_SD
Whiz

I haven't tried Lightroom, so I cannot comment on its benefits or shotcomings. I am just starting to dip my toes into DPP, and while I am far from conversant about it's intracacies, benefits and quirks, I feel that for now it will be sufficient for my needs. 

A real benefit of DPP, in my view is that it's free -- and it seems robust in its abilities, of which I haven't yet scratched the surface. But so far I like what i see.

Do you guys feel stongly about one product or the other? If so, why? 

56 REPLIES 56

@848291kmp were you hired by a company to promote Lightroom on the internet?

You have two posts on this forum, the first resurrecting a long dead thread and encouraging people to download a free Lightroom trial. I now personally use Lightroom, but, don't like to see these forums polluted with what appears to be viral marketing and not someone with a real question or actually looking to help others on this forum. 

No, nothing like that. Just trying open Canon's eyes up. I've spent thousands of dollars on their hardware and I expect the software to exceed that of the competition. I think they need to invest more in DPP.

ferristhek
Apprentice

I definitely use and like Lightroom.

With my Canon 90D using CR3 setting, I noticed that any photos I deleted, show up in my trash can as an AFFINITY file (which means using Bridge to open).

1) Possible to change that setting so can easily remove from trash can back to Lightroom, if needed?

2) In the camera, is it better to shoot as RAW or use the CR3? Does the CR3 save memory card space ) like S-Raw used to?

Thanks!

The CR3 file type is the latest upgrade in Canon's RAW file format and seems to be the new standard for some or all of Canon's new camera models. But I don't know what specifically makes them different from CR2 RAW files.

Spend some time with the 90D user manual and you may find that it also offers an sRAW image size setting. But I know with my 60D, when shooting sRAW, the image size drops from 18mp to something like 8mp, if I remember correctly. And in DPP at least, certain editing options are disabled or limited.

Thanks! User Manual not helpful but I did find online at https://www.dslrpundit.com/2019/02/canon-cr3-raw-format-guide.html that "C-raw images have the same resolution and quality with 30-40% saving in file storage size, as claimed by Canon."

So, As long as I have enough SD cards, probably better to just shoot RAW instead of the C-RAW. File will will larger but no hassles.

You should be able to change the file association for .CR3 files in the operating system to designate which application will open the files. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

John:
Sounds right but please lead me through where to find it!
I use a Mac.
Where do I "change the file association for .CR3 files?"

And to what am I changing it to...Lightroom?

Announcements