cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Photoprofessional 4 will not save

maker96
Apprentice

I am unsing Windos 10.

I edit a CR2 file but when I try to Convert and Save I get the error message "Under these setting files will be saved with duplicate file names. Check the file saving settings." Nothing is saved anywhere on laptop. I have tried all the combinations of saving with same and different filenames in smae and different folders. ONly place I have found to change format of names is on Batch proessing and tried that too. But willnot conert and save

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I did a complete removal of DPP and a fresh instal. Works OK now. Thanks.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Welcome to the forum. I will try and help you. I will reply when I see what happens when I try.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

When I use DPP I am sending the processd TIFF to Lightroom, so I alway select the Batch Process option, even for a single image.

I tried Convert and Save option when the file has already been previously converted and saved. I get this error message:

Annotation 2020-06-17 115330.jpg

When I Batch process a new image everything works fine. If I try and process the image again I get this error message..

Annotation 2020-06-17 094952.jpg

Are you sure there is no file with the same name on your computer? Did you perhaps shoot RAW + JPEG?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

For everyone's benefit, what version of DPP are you using?

What Camera model?

Are you shooting RAW only or RAW+JPG?

Convert and Save:

The default action "Converts and Saves" the .CR2 file as and with a .JPG file extension.   

If windows states there is an existing file with the same name, then a file with the same name exists in the directory you are trying to save to.

We can try to help you figure out what you're doing to cause this.

Start here:

In DPP:

Navigate to the folder where you are editing and saving images. Now select the RAW+JPG button at the bottom of the interface.  Do your files appear?

RAW-JPG.png 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I am using DPP 4.10.20.1 and problem occurs with this and a previous version.

I shoot JPEG and CR2 and edit CR2 in DPP, and convert and save the oldfilename_1.jpg. I have done this previously without problem. I have tried saving with the same, and different filenames. Also tried batch with single and multiple CR2 and get the same problem. Since I last did this Windows has probably updated

4.12.20.3 is the latest version. You can select check updates in DPP4 and download the latest update.

If it always worked before and now it doesn't quite ossible a computer change is the cause of the problem.

I would download the new version. uninstall the current version and the clean install the new version.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

@maker96 wrote:

I am using DPP 4.10.20.1 and problem occurs with this and a previous version.

I shoot JPEG and CR2 and edit CR2 in DPP, and convert and save the oldfilename_1.jpg. I have done this previously without problem. I have tried saving with the same, and different filenames. Also tried batch with single and multiple CR2 and get the same problem. Since I last did this Windows has probably updated

Well, therein lies the problem.  DPP will not overwrite a JPEG when you perform "Convert and Save". DPP is seeing a JPEG file with the same target name that it wants to use.

Why doesn't it simply give a "file exists, overwrite" message?  Probably because you can edit either a JPEG or a CR2, and it is preventing you from overwriting the file that you MIGHT be editing.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

maker96
Apprentice
I am using a different filename for the converted jpg, by appenfing the old one with "_1". I have even tried a completely different name, but same problem.

@maker96 wrote:
I am using a different filename for the converted jpg, by appenfing the old one with "_1". I have even tried a completely different name, but same problem.

Try saving to a different folder, like a sub-folder in the one where the edited file is saved.  DPP is overly cautious.  This is why it is good to use the Batch Convert Utility that John mentioned earlier.  BTW, you should always use an output folder for your output files.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I did a complete removal of DPP and a fresh instal. Works OK now. Thanks.

Announcements