cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Photo Professional "Remote Shooting" not working

loose_canon
Contributor

Digital Photo Professional (4.2.10) "Remote Shooting" will not work at all. All I get is an error message "A compatible version of EOS Utility is not installed". And no further info. Even though EOS Utility IS installed and updated with the latest version from the Canon website (EOS Utility 2.14.20 Updater for Windows

70D; Windows 7 x64

22 REPLIES 22

Didn't I answer this several days ago? Version 4 of DPP requires Version 3, not Version 2, of the EOS Utility.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks, yes I saw that but I thoujght it was some sort of mistake as I am unable to find any version 3 on the Canon website. As I said the most recent version is EOS Utility 2.14.20

@loose_canon wrote:

Thanks, yes I saw that but I thoujght it was some sort of mistake as I am unable to find any version 3 on the Canon website. As I said the most recent version is EOS Utility 2.14.20

Version 3 is there. But you have to look for it under a camera that can use it That would be any full-frame camera, the 7D, or some of the more recent models of the x0D series.

Bob

OK, thanks. As you can see from my first post I have a 70D, so are you telling me that DPP can't work with a 70D? I don't think Canon should even post it under software for that camera then, if it only works with a version of the EOS utility that doesn't work with the camera. What are they thinking?

@loose_canon wrote:

OK, thanks. As you can see from my first post I have a 70D, so are you telling me that DPP can't work with a 70D? I don't think Canon should even post it under software for that camera then, if it only works with a version of the EOS utility that doesn't work with the camera. What are they thinking?

I'm pretty sure DPP 4 and EOS 3 do run on the 70D. They didn't originally, but Canon later added the high-end APS-C cameras to the list. But I just looked, and you're right, EOS 3 isn't shown under the 70D (or under the 7D, for that matter). That's evidently an oversight on Canon's part. Look for it under the 6D; it's there for sure.

Bob

OK I'll give that a go then. It all seems like a bit of a mess, to me... Thanks for your help.

Downloaded and installed EOS Utility 3. Now when I click Remote Shooting it just says "EOS Utility is not ready". No truer dialog has ever graced my screen. I give up, as it seems like the software engineers already have.

@loose_canon wrote:

Downloaded and installed EOS Utility 3. Now when I click Remote Shooting it just says "EOS Utility is not ready". No truer dialog has ever graced my screen. I give up, as it seems like the software engineers already have.

All I can say is that it works for me. I've been using DPP 4 and EOS 3 since they first came out. DPP 4 is a bit buggy and slow, but it has some additional features and a better organization of its capabilities (though it's a bit hard to see that through its chaotic user interface).

Did you actually start up EOS utility? If not, that's probably why it's "not ready". It has an option to start up automatically when you log in; if you turn that on, the "not ready" message will probably go away permanently.

Bob

I assume you're using a 7D. Yes I did, the EOS utility 3 started automatically when I tethered the camera. Once. and then it would not start any more. Only EOS Utility 2 which also got installed would after that. But EOSU2 will not work with DPP and not with USB tethering at all. Then I uninstalled  only EOSU2 then the message just kept coming up "EOS Utility 2 is not installed". So it's now confirmed: EOS Utility 3 will NOT work with a Canon 70D.

Then I uninstalled everything and reinstalled EOSU2 and DPP. So now EOSU2 will open when I attach a USB or connect with wifi, which is OKish. But DPP Remote Shooting does NOT work. So now I have uninstalled that, and can definitely conclude that Canon PC software actually just sucks. Which is a real pity since they make such brilliant cameras. PC software seems to be an afterthought.

Announcements