cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Photo Professional (DPP) 4.8.X is extremily slow (performance)

SenJerzy
Contributor
I'm using DPP 4.8.30. It is extremely slow in RAW processing. Cannon suggests (in DPP manual) to add graphic card. I got GTX1060, used the new setup - no change. Same on other computers. Contacted Canon support - only stupid answers which do not help. Looks like Canon is not capable to develop a good software for their products. Should I sell all my Canon equipment and for other?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tulio
Apprentice

DPP4 *is* much slower than most other programs (including DPP3) regardless of GPU (more on that in a bit), but you won't feel it much unless you're at higher-than-FHD and/or on a slower-than-top-class CPU. That's because DPP aims for the best quality possible, and it's often possible to get better results than even Adobe RAW/Lightroom if you know how to use it, unless you need "local contrast" and/or "dehaze".

That being said, there are 3 features cases that worsen noticeably (and irritatingly) the already slow workflow:

1. working on 3k or higher resolutions;

2. enabling "Digital Lens Optimizer" (DLO);

3. noise correction.

If you use 2 or more of those, sit down and cry rivers. 🙂 Also, custom tone curve adjustments and color correction, as well as Auto Lighting Optimizer (ALO) may add a bit of extra drag (and, naturally, the more you add, the worse), though these are much less impactful than the aforementioned.

What I do to counter this issue is:

1. do main edits (except sharpness) on a FHD display (if you're on 4k without dual-display, either work with DPP as a quarter-screen window or manually set display resolution);

1.1. if I need to fiddle with Noise Reduction, do it after the main adjustments, and if I really need speed, disable NR altogether when first editing (remember to write down NR settings beforehand) at this phase;

2. once I'm satisfied with everything, and only then, I turn on DLO and fine-tune the other adjustments (including NR), except sharpness;

3. only then I switch back to a higher resolution (i.e. maximizing on the 4k display) for the final kicks. Expect up to 30s between updates on slower CPUs (i5-750, i5-2500, i7-4500u) and 5-15s on faster CPUs (i7-7700HQ) patched against Spectre/Meltdown;

4. only then I adjust sharpness.

The drag is irrestrictive of GPUs, because they're only used for certain preview operations (i.e. when first opening files) that Canon doesn't reveal (if any). Most of the work is still done by the CPU. It doesn't matter which GPU you own (ATI 5770, GTX 960, GTX 1070), the difference is minimal and if anything you'll only see a small spike in GPU activity when initially opening files (and maybe in some other operations I don't remember). Not sure if it's used at all when converting to JPEG.

Actually DPP4.8 is *much* faster than the initial 4.0 releases. I hope DPP5 will improve on this if and when it's released.

Hope this helps.

(edited to add tags, minor corrections for clarity and precision)

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

Ray-uk
Whiz

@SenJerzy wrote:
I'm using DPP 4.8.30. It is extremely slow in RAW processing. Cannon suggests (in DPP manual) to add graphic card. I got GTX1060, used the new setup - no change. Same on other computers. Contacted Canon support - only stupid answers which do not help. Looks like Canon is not capable to develop a good software for their products. Should I sell all my Canon equipment and for other?

DPP is not fast but it is free and tailored to get the best results from Canon cameras. You really need a very high spec computer to make it perform the best. An Nvidia graphics card will help in some respects but this is usually in speed of loading images and not so much with processing, even then you have to make sure both the graphics card and DPP are set up correctly. Once you get it working then DPP will give excellent results.

As for selling you Canon gear, well that would be like changing your make of car because your present one gets held up in traffic jams.Either get a better computer or buy some different software.

At first, thank you very much for your comment. Unfortunately, it does not refer to the real situation.

1. When using my PC:
  • Intel Core i7-6700K CPU @4.1 GHz, 16GB RAM, 256 GB SSD M.2,
  • Graphic: GeForce GTX1060,
  • Windows 10 64bit,

it takes 3-5 seconds to display a single MRAW picture (EDIT window). It is hard to process many pictures when the delay is so long.

What is even more surprising - GeForce GTX1060 is busy in no more than 6%. The CPU is used in 95%.  The problem of low performing DPP looks like a software problem.

Another point is that GTX1060 does not help to speed up the display process, what was Canon intention (they write about the issue in Manual).

1. Using my field machine Lenovo ThinkPad X Yoga 3 (the top model, fast) the time delay is similar, a bit longer.
  2. This problem did not occur with the previous versions of DPP, so it is surprising to see this slow down.
  3. DPP is not dedicated for supercomputer (even GTX1060 is so 🙂 ) or graphic workstations but for personal computers, so I do not understand: "you need really fast computer to use DPP". The instruction, manuals describe the required PC configuration which is far below the performance of my computers.
  4. Of course, I shall wait for some time for speed improvement.

I think Ray's reply is correct.

I don't use DPP any longer, but do have 4.8.30 installed along side PL Elite.

DPP - My raw images open in less than a second.  So that I'm being clear, I'm referring to selecting a folder full of images in the navigation pane, selecting one image, then pressing the edit image button. 

My Devil's Canyon CPU, Chipset and GPU are a gen back from your Skylake.

Z97X-UD5H (F8) \RM850w, 4790K, 16GB Vengeance, GTX970 FTW SC, 850 Pro's RAID0, 1TB WD, W10 1803

But I still get excellend (speedy) rendering performance.  I have 2 displays.  I have not experienced the display lag you describe.

In my experience, CPU horsepower is what directly affects export speed.  I use my desktop for large batch exports.  My Yoga laptop is handy when traveling, but much slower.  However, displaying an image for editing is about the same.  It uses onboard GPU.

The addition of a dedicated GPU offloads a small amount of rendering from the CPU, leaving it to concentrate on image processing. 

DPP is great software, and if it supported 3rd party lens correction (even if I had to pay for it Canon) I 'd use it.  But it doesn't so I use PL which I like very much. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

What is PL Elite ?

@SenJerzy wrote:

What is even more surprising - GeForce GTX1060 is busy in no more than 6%. The CPU is used in 95%.  The problem of low performing DPP looks like a software problem.

Another point is that GTX1060 does not help to speed up the display process, what was Canon intention (they write about the issue in Manual).

Sorry, but I think the issue is more likely operator error.  

Did you configure your graphics card to use DPP?  Is DPP enabled to use the graphics card?  Are your files stored locally, or across a network?  Does your DPP install “search” for files on its’ own?

Do you understand what a graphics card does?  Its’ primary role is provide dedicated video memory, instead of having video sharing memory with the CPU.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

DPP is useless on a MAC....

What is "correct setup" of graphics and PC to improve performance?

Buy different software Canons DPP for all practical purposes does not run on a mac

SenJerzy
Contributor
I hope to know what graphic card is🙂. How to set up DPP for graphic card is described in DPP User Manual. The system "sees" the card and displays how this resource is used.
The problem I'm reporting is with the delay of RAW picture loading process when the Edit function is performed. At least a few persons report this problem. If you analyze the performance using System Monitor you can observe that the bottleneck is processor, not graphic card or memory. You can also check the hardware requirements in DPP 4.8 User Manual, which are far below my current systems.
Canon support did not give any comment like "we know the problem and work to resolve it" but only suggest to "reinstall", which not help. By the way - the installation process should provide correct deinstallation (if necessary) and installation of the new version.
Announcements