cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Photo Professional (DPP) 4.8.X is extremily slow (performance)

SenJerzy
Contributor
I'm using DPP 4.8.30. It is extremely slow in RAW processing. Cannon suggests (in DPP manual) to add graphic card. I got GTX1060, used the new setup - no change. Same on other computers. Contacted Canon support - only stupid answers which do not help. Looks like Canon is not capable to develop a good software for their products. Should I sell all my Canon equipment and for other?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tulio
Apprentice

DPP4 *is* much slower than most other programs (including DPP3) regardless of GPU (more on that in a bit), but you won't feel it much unless you're at higher-than-FHD and/or on a slower-than-top-class CPU. That's because DPP aims for the best quality possible, and it's often possible to get better results than even Adobe RAW/Lightroom if you know how to use it, unless you need "local contrast" and/or "dehaze".

That being said, there are 3 features cases that worsen noticeably (and irritatingly) the already slow workflow:

1. working on 3k or higher resolutions;

2. enabling "Digital Lens Optimizer" (DLO);

3. noise correction.

If you use 2 or more of those, sit down and cry rivers. 🙂 Also, custom tone curve adjustments and color correction, as well as Auto Lighting Optimizer (ALO) may add a bit of extra drag (and, naturally, the more you add, the worse), though these are much less impactful than the aforementioned.

What I do to counter this issue is:

1. do main edits (except sharpness) on a FHD display (if you're on 4k without dual-display, either work with DPP as a quarter-screen window or manually set display resolution);

1.1. if I need to fiddle with Noise Reduction, do it after the main adjustments, and if I really need speed, disable NR altogether when first editing (remember to write down NR settings beforehand) at this phase;

2. once I'm satisfied with everything, and only then, I turn on DLO and fine-tune the other adjustments (including NR), except sharpness;

3. only then I switch back to a higher resolution (i.e. maximizing on the 4k display) for the final kicks. Expect up to 30s between updates on slower CPUs (i5-750, i5-2500, i7-4500u) and 5-15s on faster CPUs (i7-7700HQ) patched against Spectre/Meltdown;

4. only then I adjust sharpness.

The drag is irrestrictive of GPUs, because they're only used for certain preview operations (i.e. when first opening files) that Canon doesn't reveal (if any). Most of the work is still done by the CPU. It doesn't matter which GPU you own (ATI 5770, GTX 960, GTX 1070), the difference is minimal and if anything you'll only see a small spike in GPU activity when initially opening files (and maybe in some other operations I don't remember). Not sure if it's used at all when converting to JPEG.

Actually DPP4.8 is *much* faster than the initial 4.0 releases. I hope DPP5 will improve on this if and when it's released.

Hope this helps.

(edited to add tags, minor corrections for clarity and precision)

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

My experience is that the camera (sensor?) type has a significant impact.

On my system a 6D file loads within 2-3s but a M100 file takes 10-20s or sometimes more (loading from SSD, 16GB RAM, i5-4570).

I assume different calculations are applied to files from different sensor types.

DaveN1528
Contributor

Well, this is kind of new. The previous topic concerned DPP version 4.8.X; this post concerns DPP version 4.10.50.1. I've used previous version of DPP 4.X which I liked. However, with this version I have the constant  constant problem encountering the "Blue Circle of Death." Makes DPP virtually useless (to me). Has anyone else encountered this? If you have, how did you resolve the problem? All the other free Canon software work well

Welcome to the forum Dave.

Current version is 4.12.60.0 (for Windows).

I have not personally experienced the slowness, but based on what others have reported, it seems to be related to a file indexing process. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

File indexing? I'll have to look into that.

Thanks for your response, John.

Using a solid state drive, I don't recall any issues with file loading speed but some camera files are slower to process. My 1DX III images are noticeably slower than those from the 1DX II, 1DX, and 5DS R bodies.

DLO (lens optimization) and noise reduction are the two largest speed killers, I leave those turned off in body and apply as needed late in the RAW processing workflow.  The stamp tool is also fairly slow with the newer bodies. And slow is relative, I am using a HP workstation with twin Intel Xeon CPUs with a lot of RAM and solid state drives, most manipulations of files prior to the 1DX III take a few seconds at most while 1DX III files can take 15 seconds to complete a combination of NR and DLO.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I give each new version a try to see if Canon has eliminated the almost constant busy cursors.

Then I go back to my other RAW processing progs.

They would be better off making a deal with DXO to supply a stripped down version of Photolab specifically for CANON cameras.

Photolab processes CR2 and CR3 files very quickly.

Announcements