cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Digital Photo Professional (DPP) 4.5.X is slow (performance)

raviballa
Contributor

I would love to continue to use DPP for its color output. But, where I am struggling with is its slowness to process RAW files. Loading of the RAW files is slow and I cannot tell when my minor corrections are applied to the image (there is no indication of DPP processing my adjustments). The 'Quick Check' of images is good though, without any lag.

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

SenJerzy
Contributor
Hi,
Finally we've got the solution - the new version of DPP 4.9 which resolvs the discussed problem.
It is fully discribed on Canon website. And... it works. The speed is improved.
Regards

View solution in original post

88 REPLIES 88

No support for AMD GPU's? Only Nvidia? Each owns about half of the graphics market. Supprised. 

SenJerzy
Contributor
More details on Canon Website. I have only Nvidia.
Regards

If you can, post a link to the Canon site showing the upgrade information. I think I've already got this latest version installed and things are still sluggish on my Win7 desktop. I installed a used nVidia graphics card with 2gb of RAM and 240-some Cuda cores along with a bigger 750w power supply. But I was still unable to get DPP4 to recognize and access the GPU.

Canon specs call for a graphics card that has "Compute Capability 2.0 or higher". The older used card I installed only had Compute Capability 1.3 so I'm still looking for a decent price on a slightly newer, used nVidea GPU.

SenJerzy
Contributor
Here is the link:
https://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/products/cameras/digital_slr/eos-5d-mark-iv.a...

I'm using Nvidia GTX1060. With new DPP version the speed improvement is significantly better.
Regards

It still doesn't work properly and freezes. I thought it might of been the hard drive I was pulling the photos from, but this actually happens after I swapped them out. 

SenJerzy
Contributor
It might be necessary to look closer at the PC, but difficult to give the advice at the Forum. In my case I face real slown down while using DPP with large RAW files from EOS 5dmkIV. With DPP 4.9.20 I observed significant improvement.
Regards

Thanks for the link. I never think of checking the "overseas" Canon sites to see if they have info I hadn't found on the U.S. site. This seems to explain the improvements you might see more clearly than what I've seen so far from the Canon US site.

From your link...

Improved the display speed by using a graphics processor (GPU) to process images for preview in 64-bit OS (32-bit OS not supported).

For converting and saving, and printing, the conventional CPU processing is used.

To use this function, a GPU that has 1.0GB or more of built-in video memory and that supports CUDA (Compute Capability 2.0 or later) made by NVIDIA is required. In addition, the latest driver made by NVIDIA must be installed.

I think I suapected all along that this might be the case as far as a better GPU only improving image preview display time. Speeding up the actual image processing is still more dependant on things like the OS, CPU and RAM.

Why no support for AMD? That's half the PC universe. 

@BurnUnit wrote:

Thanks for the link. I never think of checking the "overseas" Canon sites to see if they have info I hadn't found on the U.S. site. This seems to explain the improvements you might see more clearly than what I've seen so far from the Canon US site.

From your link...

Improved the display speed by using a graphics processor (GPU) to process images for preview in 64-bit OS (32-bit OS not supported).

For converting and saving, and printing, the conventional CPU processing is used.

To use this function, a GPU that has 1.0GB or more of built-in video memory and that supports CUDA (Compute Capability 2.0 or later) made by NVIDIA is required. In addition, the latest driver made by NVIDIA must be installed.

I think I suapected all along that this might be the case as far as a better GPU only improving image preview display time. Speeding up the actual image processing is still more dependant on things like the OS, CPU and RAM.

The single biggest benefit of using a separate video graphics card comes from freeing up System RAM.  You are no longer forcing the main CPU to share System RAM with the video graphics hardware.  The speed improvements are more noticeable on slower CPUs than faster ones.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I'm a bit late on this, but I have a proper solution. I have always been frustrated by DPP being dog slow. I have a very fast SSD Windows machine with 32Gb of RAM and an Nvidia GTX 1070. It can handle full-body MRI scans faster than real time. I know it's as fast as anything. When then is DPP4 so slow? Why have none of the suggested fixes really worked?

May I direct you to the Tools setting on DPP4? (I have 4.14) and then preferences; CTRL-K is the shortcut. There are two settings you need to review. At the bottom of 'general settings' it offers the maximum space for temporary files. The slider on my device goes to 32Gb but is set on 4Gb. Slide the slider to 16Gb or more. The click on Image processing 2. Ensure that 'use graphics processor for image processing' is clicked. Close and reopen DPP4. It now operates pretty much instantaneously on my machine; opening an image for editing takes under 3 seconds. The slowest process per CR2 file on my machine is using the digital lens optimiser which now also takes about 2 seconds.

Announcements